G'day from WA

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Any members here from Perth WA? I would greatly appreciate your help.

I have been looking for a writing group in little old Perth for some time. Yes, I have googled and found some fine 'social clubs' pretending to be writing clubs, but not quite my speed. One site, wait for it folks, suggested that new writers should pass their work past their family and friends for criticism. Yikkkkes!!!!

I am by no means a polished or highly experienced writer but I am wondering if there is anywhere in this town where a group of wanna be writers can get together within a collaborative and mutually supportive environment where the work comes first.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers, T.

PS. I know there's more of you out there so drop in and say hi!

Last edited:

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
G'day, fellow Perthling here. I'm still a bit green around the gills when it comes to writing, so I'm not quite ready to jump into a writing group just yet, but given time, I'm sure I'd be very interested in this!

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Froley. Welcome to AW.

Speaking from personal experience this site is the place you want to be if you are serious about making your writing better. I have learned soooo much here and I am sure you will too. I also write SF and the SF sections on the site are great. Get into Share your work SF and start earning the points that will allow you to submit your work for criticism. Remember, you need fifty points to qualify but working within SYW will teach you a great deal about the online process and writing in general.

Good luck to you. I look forward to seeing you in SYW, down the track.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm from Perth. There are a couple of writer's centers in WA. There is the Tom Collin's house, the Fellowship of WA Writers, and a couple of smaller, private groups, for certain genres. Check out the website WritingWA for some links to writer's group and the Australian Wrtier's Market Place. I've toyed with the idea of joining a group for years but I'm not sure it's really worth it. I can post questions or things for critique on here for free. Most of the writer's groups in WA are either very small or located far away. But if you want to go ahead and join one do it! :) You could make some lovely friends.

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Another Perth resident here.

There's an SF group called Stromatolites but there's not much happening with that nowadays. I think the internet has done in a lot of the meet & write groups.

When Nanowrimo rolls around there are writing groups north and south of the river, and I'm sure some keep in touch in between the November madness. Check the Perth South & North topics on the Nanowrimo forums.

If you're into genre make sure you drop into Fantastic Planet in Shafto lane - someone there might know of a writing group.

There's the KSP writers' group in Greenmount - I've been up there a few times either for mini-cons or author sessions, and it's a vibrant writing group.

Plus if you haven't heard of it, Swancon 36 is on next month. It's the biggest gathering of spec fic bods every year, and you can smell the writing vibe clear across the Swan river.

Apologies if you know all this - can't always tell who people are from their usernames ...

Val367

Registered
Reaction score
Another one here from Perth too.

I think Simon and Atlantis have just shared some great info - which I have just bookmarked for later reference.

Thanks to Atlantis as well, I wasn't aware of WritingWA so I'm off to google that one for later perusal.

Also Telford, to be honest about how much of a noob I am, I'd never heard of writing genre. I was under the impression that you picked the genre of writing and had at it ie Romance, War, SciFi etc. I had never heard the expression 'I write genre' - when I read your 1st post I thought you'd missed a word out :). Luckily a quick google and it made sense.

Cheers
Val

ps I'm giggling to myself about posting after the writer of Hal Spacejock who I may or may not have listed as one of my favourite writers /blush

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Me, I'm still shocked there was a thread about Perth, Western Australia on AW! I thought it had to be Perth, Scotland or WA, Washington.

WritingWA sends out a monthly newsletter which contains a lot of WA specific news. Very handy.

'Writing genre' basically means 'not writing literature', for as we all know genre can never be considered literature ... (Now it'll be a Perth thread with a flame war.)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I got into a debate with my Drama lecturer over whether you can have Drama as a type of novel. Conventional thinking says that it has to be on a stage with an actor and an audience to be drama. I argued that the elements of storytelling that make Drama a genre of film (as opposed to comedy, horror, etc.) should make it possible to write a Drama as a novel.

So if you're going to argue semantics in this thread, please feel free to take up this particular topic. I'd love some extra ammo for when I next see my Drama lecturer. :D:D

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
My thanks to Atlantis, Spacejock (I also loved your books), Val and Cliff. Food for thought. Cheers.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy from Perth WA. It's been a few months since I posted this so I thought I would check and see if any other Perthites are on AW.

Those who replied back in March, feel free to catch up. Who knows, a meet and greet might be on the cards? Thoughts?

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Froley, I was thinking more along the lines of a chat session over a couple of beers, but who knows.

I know there are more Perthites on AW, so talk to me my people.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
G'Day from Perth Western Australia

Hell fellow Perthites. Drop in and say hello. Who knows? Maybe a get together can be arranged? A few hours to say hello to your fellow writers and share some experiences...in person (for a change).
So drop on by and say HI!

skink

bien dans ma peau
Registered
Reaction score
hi there - I'm a newbie, just joined, and I'm in Perth

going back to the original question - the Fellowship meetings at Tom Collins House in Allen Park are the only group I know of - they are very helpful and supportive. I've only dropped in there once, and circumstances have made it difficult for me to attend regulaly, but the one time I went was good.

I like some of the ideas mooted here to meet socially or to beta each other's WIP

please keep me in the loop

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Skink, welcome to AW. It's been a while since anyone responded to my origional idea, but who knows? T

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, another Perthite here. :)
It's kind of cool to see a 'Perth' thread - our Perth, on AW.
I write YA fantasy.
What genre does everybody here write (if you'd like to share)?

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Buck,
Good to hear from another Perthite. This thread has been going for a pretty long time and it's good to see so many locals on AW. Unfortunately support for the idea of a get together seems unappealing to the majority. I haven't pushed the point and may just let this thread run its course. But how knows? Right?
Anyhoo, I write ... hmm, for lack of a better description, space opera. Book is out around the traps (again). I'm not overly hopeful but, well, you can never tell.
Feel free to pm me or post here with details of your project's progress or difficulties. I think you've probably got the hang of the SYW thread by now. Catch you around. T.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
G'day, mate. I'm about as far from Perth as you can get (Alaska), but this here is a good place.

Although the WA faked me out for a moment. In the U.S., WA is the postal abbreviation for the state of Washington.

caw

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
G'day Blacbird,
Alaska heh. Boy, and I thought winter in Perth was harsh. I've seen you around the site over the last few years so it's good to touch bases with you.
Hope your writing is going well.
And a fond farewell caw to you.

T.J.Greene

Registered
Reaction score
New writers group in Perth

Hello fellow and fellow-ess Perth people.

I'm new to AW, though I've been lurking around in cyberspace for a few years now. (Oh dear, that sounds creepy!)
If there are still people out there looking to form a group, then that makes more of us. I have been looking for a group for a long while now- but all the ones I know of are far far away, or meet at times when I am working, so as good as not happening.

SO, if anyone is up for forming a group, either on line or over beer and/or champagne then make yourselves known! We may have reached critical mass. :)

Happy writing in the meantime,
T.J. Greene.