18th or 19th century New Orleans murder of pregnant woman by husband

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Okay guys, this sounds a lot like a story I might be reconstructing, which is obviously something I want to be aware of. So any hints as to how to follow up on this and whether - if you're local - you've heard a similar story, will be met with eternal gratefulness.

A married woman has an affair with the biggest player in New Orleans, or at least a big enough Casanova. He has plenty of women, plenty of mistresses, most of them (probably) know about each other. The woman is pregnant with his baby, and of course he abandons her. Meanwhile her husband is so mad, he wants to kill both the player and the baby. The man and the woman could be French, but the player has to be Spanish. This is part of a novel, and the Spanish element is necessary because of events that happen before and after. So while I am aware of potential clichés, I am trying hard to avoid them. The husband would have been a governor or someone in a ruling position, someone who has always been used to power. Possibly, they were even living in a building that either looked like a castle or else had towers, or turrets.

But I can't help thinking that I'm somehow too influenced by a story I heard once. Which is probably not a bad thing, I'd just like to be aware of it to avoid full out plagiarism.

So my question to you is, does anyone coming from that area remember a similar story? Or are there millions of them.

I just got to the scene yesterday so other than contacting various historical societies and looking at stories from there, I thought I'd get real people's voices as well, coming from there.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
You might also post up in the Romance section and see what parts of this might have shown up in one of those sprawling 1980s Romance epics.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Do you believe this is a true story you read? Or do you think it's a fictional story?

If the man is governor of Louisiana, you can easily google a list of names and try to ferret out if one of them has a story similar to yours.

You're fine as far as copyright goes if you write your own words. If it's just the framework of the story that's the same, then it isn't a problem. Of course, if you're just worried about someone reading both and saying, "Hey, this sounds similar", then that's a different issue. You might want to find this other story just to put your mind at ease.

Last edited:

latourdumoine

Where nightmares continously breed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helsinkilives.wordpress.com
Yeah, that's why I want to trace the story. If I remember correctly, it wasn't a fictional account. I do remember a friend of mine telling a whole group of us the story after we saw Interview with the Vampire, and I'm pretty sure I remember her telling us it was some family story. But I really want to make sure. Because if it is a fictionalized account I'm reconstructing, that could be a problem.

I don't see a problem with using another work of fiction as inspiration but it has to be just that, inspiration, not plagiarism. So, in order to avoid that, I'm searching like crazy, to try and remember where exactly the story came from. Once I know, I can do something with it, but until then my hands are tied because there is always the potential for plagiarism. Hope that makes sense.