• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Angry Robot Books

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
The 2018 job posting

They really are. I'm not sure you're going to get an experienced commissioning editor for that sort of money, which is rather worrying.

I went to look up the original AR posting a few times, and today I finally did a real search for posterity. [Why waste the research, eh?] So for anyone else wanting to know the details...

Commissioning editor, senior job
Publicity / editorial coordinator, the comm. editor's asst.

I didn't think everyone else was joking about it being a really low wage. I just wanted to see how bad it was. It's bad.

I hope anyone working with the new crew is pleasantly surprised.

Best,

*---

P.S. Should note that I used to freelance for AR from 2009-2015. Copyedited 21 books, proofread one.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It's a completely new team there now, right? I might have an old shelved novel I'll submit to them. I didn't submit in their last open door, as the rules indicated not to resubmit previously rejected work and I had a novel that had been rejected a year or two previously by them by my then agent. They did make nice comments about it, though. It's since been rewritten/re-edited and shelved, so I might submit it to their next open door. Considering it's a new team of editors, hopefully that will be allowed.

Send it.
I spoke to the new commisioning editor at Eastercon today and she is very keen that people submit even if it was rejected from the last open door. They are a new team and everything has a clean slate.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this.

Some other differences from the past open doors too, it seems... https://www.angryrobotbooks.com/2019/04/open-the-doors/

Now that our new leader has settled in and learned where the kettle is, she’s opening the doors to the proverbial castle – we’re thrilled to announce that we’re holding an open submission period for the entire month of May. We’d love to see your weird and wonderful SFF novels. We’re looking for stories well told, stories we haven’t heard before, stories with a message, but most importantly we’d love to hear from writers of colour and LGBTQ authors. Send us your darlings – we’ll read every one.

Send us a short cover letter that introduces yourself and pitches your book (max 600 words), with a separate word document attachment that includes a synopsis of the novel (max a page), followed by the first three chapters (or first 10-15 pages) to [email protected]