• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Angry Robot Books

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Hi guys,

I searched, but I didn't see any threads on these guys. I believe they were formerly part of Osprey publishing. But I think they're on their own now.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ry-robot-books-to-join-osprey-publishing.html

They're opening up to unagented submisssions in March 2011. They were previously only accepting agented submissions.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/submissions/

Has anyone worked with them? Do you know if they offer advances and what the royalty percentage is? Anybody seen their books in Barnes and Noble?

They're covers look really professional and the website is super slick and very reader friendly as opposed to author friendly -- which I think is a plus.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen their books at B&N and thought they looked interesting and professional. I know nothing else about them (so don't take this as a recommendation) but, if I had a sf novel ready, I'd be excited to submit.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They were originally part of HarperCollins, and are now supported by Osprey.
Following an acclaimed first year of publishing, the revolutionary science fiction imprint Angry Robot Books has parted company with HarperCollins UK. It will now run as an independent publishing imprint, with the full backing of niche publishing experts, Osprey Publishing.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK they offer industry standard advances and royalties.
AWer Aliette de Bodard is published by them and she is repped by a good London agency.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
If it's relevant, I read The World House by Guy Adams and published by Angry Robot - it was superb.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Yep, Angry Robot are entirely kosher. It's basically a two-man operation - I've met Marc and Lee and they're both really friendly and enthusiastic about the genre. They have strong ideas about what they like, but at the same time their tastes are pretty varied - from some quite disturbing horror (Kaaron Warren) through blood-soaked epic fantasy (Andy Remic) to relatively gentle urban fantasy (Mike Shevdon). I'm finding them easy to work with so far, and very willing to negotiate over story details - I'm currently revising my manuscript based on their feedback :)

I know they pay advances and decent royalties. Dan Abnett got a good five-figure sum for his 3-book deal, possibly back when they were funded by HarperCollins, but I guess new authors would get less. They're a newish independent and probably don't have great wedges of cash to throw around!

Do however note their comment about acquiring world rights - their strategy is based on selling English print versions in the UK, US and Australia plus region-free ebooks globally. Great news for both authors and readers, IMHO.

Last edited:

Aliette de Bodard

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliettedebodard.com
Yup, they're perfectly legit (or I missed something :tongue). They pay advances and royalties. Not seen the books myself (the US are kind of far for me), but they are carried in B&N and Borders (and Waterstone's and other stores in the UK).

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Two guys with good taste, savvy packaging, and a distribution deal. Would you say they're equal to or doing better than Nightshade?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Thought I'd post this. Angry Robot Books is opening up to unagented submissions from March 1 through March 31.

FYI, I have Aliette's book, Servant of the Underworld, sitting on my desk, ready to read as soon as I finish the one I'm on (jchines's Red Hood's Revenge). The cover looks great, and I made the mistake of opening up to the first page and starting to read. I had to force myself to put it down again because it drew me in so thoroughly.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I do like about Angry Robot books is that they put extras in at the end - author interviews and bits of information about the source material for the books etc. I think it's a really nice touch and give you something a bit different for your buck.

MM

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. Had to reformat it somewhat, but no biggie. Better to do that than have it rejected because I didn't follow the submission requirements.

Deleted member 42

I've seen their books at bookstores that sell SF and at cons; they have good production values. Someone there pays attention to the details.

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
let's share our one sentence descriptions!!! We should move to another thread though. . . I think I saw one under Publishers. . . ::goes looking::

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually a fun exercise. Like "Orphaned boy copes with the loss of his parents by following in their footsteps--at a school for witches and wizards" :) or "Killer shark terrorizes New England resort community at the height of tourist season" Or even "Young man discovers his jewelry is the most evil inanimate object on the planet"

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
OK I got Harry Potter and Jaws, what's the third one from? And I can't find the other Angry Robot thread. I'm either on crack and imagining it or my searching skills are lacking today. need coffee

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Lord of the Rings :) Was going to call it a wedding band, but Frodo's not married LOL! Funny, can't do this for my own MS :0

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Oh, crap...I missed the one-sentence requirement. Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight besides formatting! I think I already have a 2-sentence pitch so it shouldn't be too hard.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
I just converted my first five chapters to their requirements (in terms of formatting, etc.) and I'm bashing out character descriptions and trying to figure out a one sentence summary.

Good luck to everyone submitting!