How is a Play Sold? Is it as Difficult as Selling a Screenplay?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My own experience--nearly all observation, not what happened to me--is that the unknown playwright submits full-length plays to theatres which put out calls for new works or contest notifications. Most playwrights start locally.

I live near a smallish city (< 1 million) and there are multiple places to submit plays, although the equity-level theatre is clearly head and shoulders above the others in terms of prestige. Their websites and the local paper put out the calls for submission and the requirements (often for length and/or number of players).

A play I saw for free as a winner of a contest at the equity theater, produced in a script-in-hand minimalist play, later saw full production in a few theatres well outside the region, then was purchased by the theatre which first saw it, with normal production values. It was pretty cool to note what had changed.

Maryn, whose one-act also won, which is why she was even there to see the other play

Sagittarius

Banned
Reaction score
My own experience--nearly all observation, not what happened to me--is that the unknown playwright submits full-length plays to theatres which put out calls for new works or contest notifications. Most playwrights start locally.

I live near a smallish city (< 1 million) and there are multiple places to submit plays, although the equity-level theatre is clearly head and shoulders above the others in terms of prestige. Their websites and the local paper put out the calls for submission and the requirements (often for length and/or number of players).

A play I saw for free as a winner of a contest at the equity theater, produced in a script-in-hand minimalist play, later saw full production in a few theatres well outside the region, then was purchased by the theatre which first saw it, with normal production values. It was pretty cool to note what had changed.

Maryn, whose one-act also won, which is why she was even there to see the other play

So I guess boldness is the key then? Doesn't sound impossible.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Any kind of writing is no place for a shrinking violet.

Okay, many of us might be the 'quiet type' or more introverted than ex-, but when it comes to our writing we have to be our own bully pulpit.

imo.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not all that brave to respond to a contest or call for plays by submitting one, is it?

What was hard about the contest I entered was that it had a Q&A after each play--and a tough crowd, several of whom disdained my subject matter.

Of course, for most play submissions and contests, the playwright remains solidly in the background and remains unknown to those who see the play. You're not even expected to promote it much. (I handed out a few flyers, which was pretty easy, even though I'm shy.)

Maryn, eyes modestly downcast

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
You want actors, director, crew and theatre to back you. Get everyone together for a read-through, see what everyone thinks. You'll know after that first read-through if it's any good or not.

Get it on the boards, get it reviewed if you can and use it to write another and another. At some point someone may decide to offer you some money for something but - in the UK at least - don't hold your breath. Best thing to do is apply for a grant from the National Lottery fund or the myriad of other funds dealing with 'small' (ie non-West End) productions.

Good luck!!!

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
Very few plays are "sold" in the manner of screenplays. The overwhelming majority are licensed for a production. The first few productions are usually done for free to gain production credits. Our small, amateur, theater pays $50 to $125 per performance of plays by established playwrights. One act plays go for about $25 per performance and ten minute plays from $15 to $25.

Most playwrights tell me that it is far harder to get the second production of a play than the first. (The bragging rights are gone).

Doug