Even 911 rescuers at Republican mercy.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_congress_firefighters

I've just about stopped posting in P&CE out of disillusionment, lack of credible debate, and most importantly complete bewilderment at the vitriol of what used to be my party (republican).. I can't understand the unwillingness to compromise, and I truly don't understand either sides positions, as I don't really think they understand. Obama has disappointed me to no end, and I truly feel as if our nation is leaderless.

Having said that, I know that the funding for these men and women of 911 who marched into these doomed buildings will eventually pass. So pardon me when I say this but,,, Fuck all you politicians on either side that are playing political games with these peoples lives, you are miserable Fuckers, and I'm sorry but there just isn't another way to say it...

My God they should be ashamed of themselves.......

...And so should we if they speak for us.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'm thinking the word "mercy" is being misused in the title of this thread. Looks more like a lack thereof to me.

...they should be ashamed of themselves...And so should we if they speak for us.

This.

And, I'm thinking this is the 2nd time that Republicans have killed this thing, isn't it? Like, last July? Ok, off to research.

ETA: July link from CNN

The current bill passed the House in September.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

My God they should be ashamed of themselves.......

...And so should we if they speak for us.

There's a word in Yiddish; shande. It's cognate with English shame, but in Yiddish it suggest immoral criminal wrongness.

This is (another) American shande.

It's just wrong. Shamefully, evilly, wrong.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
How does the English word "false-heart" compare? It's a bit antiquated and stuff but . . .

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Bravo to Senator Reid for calling them out on their bs. They're more than happy to cost the government billions with their Bush tax cuts, but gods forbid any government money goes to actually helping people.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Two words to everyone who vote this down.

FUCK YOU!

Seriously, somedays, I swear, we're going to turn on the cameras, there's going to be a glitch in the software and we'll see them for what they truly are.

they_live-thumb.jpg

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Wasn't United Airlines Flight 93 (the one that crashed in Pennsylvania) headed straight for the Capitol Building??

What if it had made it to its target?

In that event, should the brave men and women employed by the Washigton DC Fire Department --as well as the many EMT's in the area -- have raced into the rubble of the Capitol to rescue our Legislators?

Or should they merely have left them to die?

And ........

How many of you here have heard tales of small town fire departments refusing to rescue a burning house because the inhabitants of that house failed to pay their town's fire department fee that year? Wouldn't it be interesting if the fire department in DC were to AT FIRST respond to a call for a burning house (maybe a lovely 300-year old townhouse out in Georgetown), only to arrive at that burning house and discover it was owned by a Republican Senator who voted agaist this bill. Should that DC fire company rescue the house or just let it burn?

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, real nice.

Should I mention that when these same politicians had their self serving photo ops at Ground Zero, they were wearing better respirators than the rescuers workers.

And the pols health insurance is paid for the by the taxes of the very same rescue workers they are denying care for.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Nice, real nice.

Should I mention that when these same politicians had their self serving photo ops at Ground Zero, they were wearing better respirators than the rescuers workers.

And the pols health insurance is paid for the by the taxes of the very same rescue workers they are denying care for.

Great points by everyone,,,, This is in particular is poignant.... Beyond so if you really think about it..... nice.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
The House passed this bill at the end of September--a party line vote, btw--so why the wait, if it was so important?

And I'm sorry, but why do we need a 7.4 billion dollar bill in DC to address the medical issues of people who--imo--should be covered fully by the State and/or Feds already?

There's also a lot more backstory, here:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...einer-lashes-out-at-gop-in-fiery-floor-speech
http://www.uschamber.com/issues/letters/2010/letter-opposing-provision-included-hr-847

You know, we just can't have a simple bill to do x, anymore. Everything has got to be gimmicked up. People have to really want to know, to know anything.

The outrage bandwagon sure is easy to ride, though...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know, we just can't have a simple bill to do x, anymore. Everything has got to be gimmicked up. People have to really want to know, to know anything.
I've said it many times before - this is, in my opinion, the worst thing about our government. Voting records mean less than nothing. The bills are engineered to grease the rails for unrelated bullshit or, if that doesn't work out, the consolation prize is a very useful skewer to be used when the opposition has (or has not) voted a certain way.

That the 911 rescue workers are caught in the web of it is disgraceful.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
so why the wait, if it was so important?

That was one of my questions earlier. I'm also wondering what else is tied to this version of it. The last time had a tax loophole tied to it.

If it got ramped up, cost wise, because of attachments, or because somebody padded it for added items, for example, the "shame on you" still applies.

It still should have been debated, and those objections brought to the floor.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
The House passed this bill at the end of September--a party line vote, btw--so why the wait, if it was so important?

And I'm sorry, but why do we need a 7.4 billion dollar bill in DC to address the medical issues of people who--imo--should be covered fully by the State and/or Feds already?

There's also a lot more backstory, here:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...einer-lashes-out-at-gop-in-fiery-floor-speech
http://www.uschamber.com/issues/letters/2010/letter-opposing-provision-included-hr-847

The outrage bandwagon sure is easy to ride, though...

Its not an outrage wagon,,, it's as simple as this, "Do what's right" both sides. There should be no back story from ANYONE. Both sides are playing games and both are WRONG!

This is just another, in a long line issues where elected officials refuse compromise for the common good, but in this case, to support those very people, whom we have universally lauded for their heroism in the aftermath of 911 and now are forced to witness "Mind Games" for the benefit of one party over another... Aren't you sick of it Rob....?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It still should have been debated, and those objections brought to the floor.
Well, if you read the first link I gave, you'll see that initially, debate was intentionally stymied in the House by the leadership. Which is--to me--mind-boggling. If the bill is such a "good thing," why not force naysayers to make fools of themselves on the record?

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
You know, sort of off the thread, but, where would we be in this country if people refused to go into burning buildings, or refused to search out remains of those lost in terrorist attacks like 911 or Oklahoma? Because they sat around debated whether or not they would be adequately protected or compensated if they fell ill or diseased because of their actions. Maybe congress should pass a law that says

" It's not any American's responsibility to aid any other American in time of danger".

Isn't that the Dumbest thing you've ever read? But in reality,,, isn't that exactly the message congress sends when it can't pass a simple bill to compensate those who have developed illness from doing exactly that......

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Its not an outrage wagon,,, it's as simple as this, "Do what's right" both sides. There should be no back story from ANYONE. Both sides are playing games and both are WRONG!

This is just another, in a long line issues where elected officials refuse compromise for the common good, but in this case, to support those very people, whom we have universally lauded for their heroism in the aftermath of 911 and now are forced to witness "Mind Games" for the benefit of one party over another... Aren't you sick of it Rob....?

It IS an outrage wagon, Don. Because there IS backstory, and that's being ignored, in favor of outrage. There's an assumption that something needs doing, that needs an act of Congress, that needs a big spending bill. But is there? And if there is, what--exactly--is it? What--exactly--is the scope? Why--exactly--can't the needs be met, outside of action by DC?

Again, I question the fundamental "necessity" of the bill, to begin with. I question the price tag. And sure, both sides are playing games, but your thread title is what it is and provokes the responses it provokes, no?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two words to everyone who vote this down.

FUCK YOU!

Agreed and seconded.

Well, if you read the first link I gave, you'll see that initially, debate was intentionally stymied in the House by the leadership. Which is--to me--mind-boggling. If the bill is such a "good thing," why not force naysayers to make fools of themselves on the record?

Apparently, your mind is easily boggled by total irrelevances that have nothing to do with the middle finger the Senate Republicans just flipped to first responders.

What possible difference does any of that irrelevant bullshit make when what Don Allen created this thread to discuss how the U.S. Senate voting along party lines just told the first responders to the worst act of terrorism to fucking drop dead?

Follow that link I just posted and you can find all you need to know about the 41 heartless bastards who turned their back on the heroes who risked life and limb and sacrificed their health to do a grim and dirty job.

And why did the Senate Republicans turn their collective backs on the 9/11 responders? For money.

Newser) GOP senators stopped a $7.4 billion bill to help rescuers who suffered injuries in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, the New York Times reports. The Senate voted mostly on party lines to extend debate on the 9/11 health bill, effectively sending it to be considered by the next Senate, where passage will be even more difficult. In one last-ditch effort this year, backers will try to insert provisions into the tax-cut deal brokered between the president and congressional Republicans.
Their best hope is that Charles Schumer will convince Harry Reid to play along. The tax-cut extension, a sponsor of the bill explained, "is the one measure the Senate Republicans won’t leave this town without passing." The bill sets aside $3.2 billion over the next 8 years for treating ailments inflicted on the day of the attacks. New York City would cover 10% of those costs. It also would set up a $4.2 billion compensation fund. Republicans want more specifics on where the money will come from.
http://www.newser.com/story/107247/senate-republicans-block-911-health-bill.html
The same Republicans who have dug their heels in on obtaining $700 billion in unpaid for tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires suddenly become born-again deficit hawks when it comes to taking care of first responders.
Maybe they're just hoping the longer they delay and block this bill a few more sick cops, firemen and EMTs will die.
Isn't it funny how the same Republicans who lost their goddamn minds over the idea a Muslim civic center could be built several blocks away from Ground Zero don't give a damn about the men and worked that supposed sacred ground? Where are all those loudmouths who were organizing all those protests now?

Merry fucking Christmas from Mitch McConnell and the gang.

It IS an outrage wagon, Don. Because there IS backstory, and that's being ignored, in favor of outrage. There's an assumption that something needs doing, that needs an act of Congress, that needs a big spending bill. But is there? And if there is, what--exactly--is it? What--exactly--is the scope? Why--exactly--can't the needs be met, outside of action by DC?

You are absolutely right, robeiae. There is a backstory and it's being ignored because a gang of selfish obstructionists enjoy wrapping themselves in the flag one moment and elbowing those who contracted respiratory and skin diseases while working the smoking ruins of the World Trade Center.

The first thing we need to dispense with is the generalities and get specific. The bill is H.R. 847, (The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010) and its purpose A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to extend and improve protections and services to individuals directly impacted by the terrorist attack in New York City on September 11, 2001, and for other purposes.

alg_nypd_portable_display_shields.jpg

The shields in the photograph represent the 29 NYPD personnel who have died from ailments related to working at the 9/11 site.

And who was Det. James Zadroga?

Det. James Zadroga passed away on January 5, 2006 as a result of various respiratory and digestive diseases and disorders developed from his exposure to the remains of the World Trade Center. Zadroga was the first member of the NYPD whose post 9/11 death was directly linked by a medical examiner to the rescue, recovery, and clean-up efforts of the terrorist attacks.

Like thousands of other members of the service, Zadroga was reassigned to 9/11 rescue, recovery and clean up efforts and logged approximately 500 hours of duty in the World Trade Center rubble. He began having breathing difficulties when he returned to his new command, the 25 Squad, in late December of 2001. He transferred to Manhattan South Homicide in June of 2002, but his medical condition worsened. He retired on a disability November 1, 2004.

James’ ailments had already taken an irreversible toll on his wife Ronda, who died the same year from medical issues exacerbated by the family’s stress.

As his illnesses progressed, Zadroga was required to use a wheelchair and remain on oxygen around the clock. He moved in with his parents in New Jersey so they could assist with his four year old daughter, Tyler Ann, who survives him. At the time of his death, James Zadroga was 34 years old.

link

To answer your question as to why this has to be handled by the politicians in Washington D.C. instead of Albany, NY, the state already has implemented their own bill to assist the first responders and rescue workers, but the scope of the problem far outstrips their ability to meet the need. This is where the federal government has to pick up the slack and they should because September 11 wasn't an attack on New York. It was an attack on all of America.

A fact that seems to have been lost on both the Senate Republicans and you.

robeiae said:
Again, I question the fundamental "necessity" of the bill, to begin with. I question the price tag. And sure, both sides are playing games, but your thread title is what it is and provokes the responses it provokes, no?

There's only one side "playing games" here and its the Republicans holding the sick, desperate and dying hostage to play their bullshit games. The title of Don Allen thread provokes an entirely human response: outrage.

Outrage at the Republicans and their never-ending search for yet another reason to be cold, selfish bastards.

Outrage, mixed with sheer disbelief by those who worked at Ground Zero and were stabbed in the back by the Republicans.

"I was a registered Republican. I have no idea what I am now," said Ray Simons, 60, a retired FDNY ambulance worker who said he's ill from two weeks at The Pile. "For senators to turn this down, it's like, oh, my God, it's the ultimate betrayal."

"These guys, these men and women, went there looking for my wife," said Charles Wolf, 56, whose late wife, Katherine, worked on the 97th floor of the north tower.

"They went there looking for anybody else's husband, wife, brother, sister, daughter, mother, father, and now we want to walk away from them," said Wolf, another Republican disgusted at his party leaders.

"I've got to tell you something, it is not the Republican people of this country, it is the Republican senators, it is the Republican politicians, that are against this," he added.

link

Sorry fellas. You voted Republican, but you forgot you weren't part of the top two percent. If you ain't rich, you don't count to the Senate GOP.​

Live and learn, live and get burned. Live until you die for your selfless acts of sacrifice and heroism and suffer well.​

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

Completely agree. What I don't believe is true is that it will have a harder time being passed with the next Senate. My bet is some superficial administrative changes will happen, and perhaps the cost will drop by maybe a billion or a few hundred million, and it will pass and they'll take credit for it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The first thing we need to dispense with is the generalities and get specific.
Okay, let's.
The bill is H.R. 847, (The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010) and its purpose A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to extend and improve protections and services to individuals directly impacted by the terrorist attack in New York City on September 11, 2001, and for other purposes.
That's it? That's "getting specific"? What's in the bill? Who gives a crap what it's called or what someone says its purpose is? What is actually in it?

Why does it have an entire section devoted to taxation issues, with regard to foreign companies in it? Other puproses?

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Your link’s expired, Rob, but I can think of one reason why the taxation of foreign companies might be relevant here.

Among the nearly three thousand victims that day were 372 foreign nationals, 67 of them British. I would guess there were many more who were saved by the actions of American firefighters and rescue-workers. If more money is needed to help these utterly heroic men and women then I see no reason why foreign companies in the World Trade Center shouldn’t be asked to contribute. We owe your people an enormous debt.

I’m an outsider with no business to comment on US internal politics, but in response to the pain and disillusionment of the OP I’d like at least to say this: Whatever shame we all feel from time to time about the actions of our politicians, every single person in this thread also has the right to feel enormous pride. The heroism of the American firefighters (and police and rescue workers) on that day is an icon for the world.

There’s been speculation in this thread about what would happen if firefighters hesitated to act because of the risks to themselves, but in the UK this is becoming a reality. In the 7/7 bombings there was considerable delay before firefighters entered the tunnels because of the fear of a second bomb and the need to wait for official confirmation that power was switched off – even though a police officer was demonstrating that it clearly was.

You really don't want to go our way. I don’t wish to knock my own country’s brave firefighters (who were undoubtedly strangled by red tape) but no-one will ever forget the courage of yours:
In this week’s most compelling evidence, Michael Henning told the inquest that he believed restrictive safety “protocols” had delayed rescuers, potentially costing lives...<snip>...So why did Mr Henning’s outburst hit such a nerve? No one likes to criticise our emergency services, but it’s hard not to think of that iconic image of New York firemen on 9/11 pelting up the stairs in the Twin Towers as though their lives depended on saving the lives of others.
(bolding mine)

That these people should now be betrayed is intolerable. If there’s an outrage wagon here, then personally I think that’s a good thing – for how else will politicians learn how shameful their actions really are? If enough people make that outrage felt in their words and at the ballot box, then maybe things will change.

Posts with the integrity of Don’s OP mark the beginning of that change. Disillusionment's a horrible, horrible feeling, but if enough people feel it then maybe in the end good will come.