I thought I'd figured this out, I've certainly read enough about it, but some of it isn't clicking. Basically, I'm having a hard time telling the difference between 3rd person POV where, say, you switch characters mid chapter, and omniscient POV where you do the same thing. I'm going to quote from this web site.

http://www.internetwritingworkshop.o...ive/pw34.shtml

"He bent over his secretary's desk, "Audrey, run the mail down right now, please." Robert was always one for covering bases, and sending his secretary out on an errand would insure she could not hear what was about to take place."

The site claims that the second sentence is
a narrator omniscient comment, so you can tell its omniscient POV. OK. Why is the second sentence an omniscient comment? Suppose I replace Robert with the word 'he'? Looks pretty 3rd person to me, like a personal musing.

"He was always one for covering bases, and sending his secretary out on an errand would insure she could not hear what was about to take place"

So what really is the difference between omniscient and 3rd person POV with a limited cast of characters and limited shifts in character? And what's the difference between bad 3rd person POV w/head hopping and good omniscient?