• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Help With First 3 Ch of Roman Historical Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosepetal720

Let the wild rumpus start!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com
I got some negative feedback from an agent that I disagree with, and I would like to know if it's just his personal taste or if it's something everyone will agree with. The section is only 24 pages long, double-spaced, and it's stand-alone (in other words, it could be a short story). Here's the feedback he gave me:

There was a lot I liked about this, especially how you took the Roman religions at face value, instead of with a modern, dismissive attitude. My guess is that Romans took their religion at least as seriously as moderns take theirs.

The problem for me was in the set-up in the story. The first chapter is superfluous and the second doesn't pull it's weight. Your book really starts in chapter three. I know it seems that you should give us the setting before introducing the problem (that being Tuccia's selection among the other children), but this is backwards. Give us a problem from the first page, resist the urge to stop and explain the world, and let the details come out as the character falls deeper and deeper into it.

I personally think the first two chapters are both entertaining and necessary (I can explain more after you read it). I would appreciate as many readers as possible, since I'm trying to get a general consensus, so if you're interested, please feel free to send me a personal message and we can swap emails. Any help will be enormously appreciated!

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com

Your book really starts in chapter three. I know it seems that you should give us the setting before introducing the problem (that being Tuccia's selection among the other children)

Obviously I haven't read your work but this is a valid point. I've always gone with the concept of starting a story as close as possible to the moment when "everything changes" for the main character(s). In this case I'm guessing Tuccia being chosen over others is that moment.

And you can get backstory and other elements of the world in as needed without dumping it all upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.