Favorite movies about writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
There are two kinds of movies I'll watch without question. Movies about writers/writing and ones about cooking. (Links below go to IMDb.)

My all-time favorite film is Roman Holiday (1953) with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. Blurb: A bored and sheltered princess escapes her guardians and falls in love with an American newsman in Rome.

I also love Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) with Diane Lane. It's a bit of a chick flick but it's a stunning film. It takes place in Tuscany (where I used to live for awhile). The scenery and the food are characters as much as the actors are. Blurb: While on vacation, a just-divorced writer buys a villa in Tuscany on a whim, hoping it will be the start of a change for the better in her life.

Another one is called Shadows in the Sun (alternative title: Shadow Dancer) from 2005, with Joshua Jackson, Harvey Keitel and Claire Forlani. (Also in Italy.) It's very difficult to find this film. If you do, snatch it up. Blurb: An aspiring young writer (Jackson) tracks a literary titan (Keitel) suffering from writers block to his refuge in rural Italy and learns about life and love from the irascible genius and his daughters.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorites is actually a mini-series: Notorious Woman, about George Sand. She did a little writing in the series, between love affairs and family explosions. George (a radiant Merle Oberon) also appeared in villainous guise in A Song to Remember, where she made Chopin forget to finish his famous Polonaise in A-Flat. And Judy Davis was a livelier George in Impromptu, with Hugh Grant doing Chopin in his usual stuttering but sweet style (Hugh's usual style, not Chopin's.)

Shakespeare in Love was fun.

Quills, with Geoffrey Rush as the Marquis de Sade and Kate Winslet as his muse, was appalling and oddly inspiring.

Miss Austen Regrets had its moments and nice production values.

Then there's Barton Fink, a cautionary tale. If the wallpaper is curling off the walls and John Goodman lives next door, find another hotel to write in.

I'll probably think of some more along the way.

Last edited:

The Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked Finding Forester, with Sean Connery.

It's one of my favourite movies, actually.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although I dislike Will Ferrell pretty intensely, I still like Stranger Than Fiction quite a bit.

Maryn, who likes the odd premise a lot

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Misery.
I would watch this just for the beginning of the movie when he finishes writing his book and the end when he speaks with his editor about his new book.

I also love Finding Forrester, currently I'm reading the book by the same title to find out what really was going on. The book goes into detail about all the things that were briefly touched on during the movie. It even has the final speech by Forrester, which is really good.

Last edited:

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
"As Good As It Gets" and "The World According to Garp"

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
The Third Man. Joseph Cotton takes a break from writing westerns to chase Orson Welles around post-war Vienna.

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
The Third Man. Joseph Cotton takes a break from writing westerns to chase Orson Welles around post-war Vienna.

A great film. And a great tune on the zither.

Others:
Sideways. Not just about writing of course, but it's interesting in how his story does achieve some understanding.
Maya: What's the title?
Miles Raymond: The Day After Yesterday.
Maya: Oh... You mean today?

Sunset Blvd. Have any writers on AW had the same experience?
Betty Schaefer: Oh, the old familiar story. You help a timid little soul cross a crowded street, she turns out to be a multimillionaire and leaves you all her money.
Joe Gillis: That's the trouble with you readers, you know all the plots.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Although I dislike Will Ferrell pretty intensely, I still like Stranger Than Fiction quite a bit.

Maryn, who likes the odd premise a lot

I agree, I can't stand Ferrell or any of his movies...except Stranger Than Fiction.

Also like As Good As It Gets, The Shining and Misery. Shakespeare in Love is one of my favorite movies. Also good are Deconstructing Harry, The Hours, and Wonder Boys.

Also enjoyed Secret Window. But hell, I'd watch anything with Johnny Depp. :D

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Alex and Emma was cute.

As Good As It Gets.

Stranger Than Fiction

We just watched (we being my 6-yr old stepdaughter and hubby) Romancing the Stone on Netflix, which was fun and cute even if totally unbelievable.

I love Under the Tuscan Sun and Shakespeare in Love.

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I love both the shining and Misery. Not so keen on Shakespeare in love and I haven't seen many of the others mentioned.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. No one else for Under the Tuscan Sun or Shadows in the Sun? I'm in shock!

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Adaptation. Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.