AC: Brotherhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the plot-line of this game a couple days ago. Finished "the Truth" last night. There's a whole lot going on in this one, I gotta say.

The artwork is fab, as usual, and all the original voice actors are back, which is very nice. The story line follows pretty much from the end of AC2, with Ezio moving from thinking his job was done to having to rebuild the Assassin Brotherhood pretty much from scratch. The opening sequence is pretty dramatic, and has a few personal twists I don't think they capitalized on. I just have to remind myself that it's a video game and not a "real" story sometimes. Oh, and the end bit has a really interesting twist for Demond & Co. It's hinted in in "The Truth" part of Ezio's story, which was very nice.

There's secret locations--this time it's the lairs of Followers of Romulus, but there's also Templar Lairs as DLC. Doing the lairs is the only way to get the invincible armor of the game. Getting Altair's armor from Uplay is only cosmetic, unlike AC2. In a spin-off of rescuing citizens from AC, you now have to kill the twelve Borgia captains and then climb the towers and blow them up. The graphics on igniting the towers are great fun. Ezio's such a bad-ass doing it. There's special assignments from the Thieves, Courtesans and the Mercenaries, as well as special "guild challenges" for each, including the Assassins. Most of the assignments are the races, beat-ups and contracts done in AC2. There's also "memory" options where, after achieving so much, Ezio has a chance to relieve part of his youth. There's also feathers (only 10), treasures and Borgia flags (101) to be collected--only later in the game you can buy maps for the feathers and flags like you can the treasures. Very convenient.

Leonardo's back with more inventions: the naval cannon, the tank and machine gun. The flying machine's been converted into a bomber. Great fun here.

After a certain point in the plot, you get to recruit baby assassins, one for each tower you've brought down. Looking at it before playing, I thought I was going to hate this. As it turned out, it turned out to be great fun and one of my favorite parts of the game. Having them graduate and go through the initiation ceremony felt like an accomplishment.

The biggest new challenge to AC: Brotherhood is the interpretation of 100% sync with Ezio. At the start of a plot arc, it will tell you what the objective and what you have to do to achieve 100% sync. Sometimes it's a time limit, sometimes it's a restriction on how much health you can lose, sometimes it's a weapon or a movement restriction. For the most part, I didn't have a problem with hitting 100%, but everything in the plot and all the assignments, secret locations, guild challenges, count towards that total sync.

One thing they gave us in Brotherhood is the chance to go back and re-do anything you've already done, which is great in the secret locations if you want to pick up the missed flags and treasure. Their purpose is, of course, to let you get 100% sync.

I haven't played with the multi-player option of the game yet, since no one else in my PS3 crew has finished the single-player version yet. You don't need to do that, mind you, but my crew is weird in that way.

All-in-all, I think it's a good addition to the AC franchise. I was a little disappointed in the end fight between Ezio and the Borgia, but in that same way I was disappointed at the end of Arkham: Asylum--I wanted more and didn't get it. Might be totally me, so take that with a grain of salt.

Highly recommended, if you enjoyed the previous AC games.

Anyone else playing it?

Paladin

What? Nothing.
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, but after that kind of review, it's on my list. Thanks!

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I beat it about a week ago. Good game. I like some of the tweaks they made, like being able to carry more weapons from the start, and the addition of the Assassin's Guild. Being able to call them to kill enemies is pretty fun, and it's cool watching them attack.

I think the overall story of the three main games thus far has been incredibly rich and compelling. Referring to it as "not [being] a 'real' story" is likely insulting to video game writers and also not very accurate, I don't think.

Many video games these days have much deeper, more complex, richer stories than most movies and TV shows these days. Best examples to give off the top of my head are the Mass Effect games, the Uncharted games (especially the 2nd one), and of course Assassin's Creed. Their stories are intricate, engaging, have deep characters (especially Mass Effect), and expansive, well-thought-out universes.

Also, there are very few, if any, perfectly executed stories (Back to the Future may be an exception). So, a few missed opportunities at the beginning isn't much to quibble about, in my opinion, especially given how entertaining, deep, and well-developed the overall story has been in each game thus far. Personally, I think it's a really cool take on the Adam/Eve story and our world's history.

Back on topic, I enjoyed AC:Brotherhood. I'm not into multi-player games, so that part doesn't matter to me. I'm really interested in seeing how they finish this story up in the final game.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I just got it a couple of days ago, will wait for the holidays to start kicking some Borgia backside. :)

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Started playing last week, haven't yet completed the singleplayer because I became enamored with the multiplayer and have been playing it a lot more. For the most part, multiplayer feels polished and fun. There have been a few frustrating moments where I feel I was cheated of a kill, or wasn't awarded the proper score. It also took me a long time to figure out that, unless I snuck up on my would-be killer, their attack takes priority over stunning them.

Oh, and while it's not a big complaint (and I realize somewhat necessary for the sake of gameplay): When I began playing as Ezio, I was like, "OH AWESOME, I start as a badass automatically!" with awesome armor and equipment, etc etc. Of course, then something bad happens and I'm stripped of all my good stuff. It irked me a little.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and while it's not a big complaint (and I realize somewhat necessary for the sake of gameplay): When I began playing as Ezio, I was like, "OH AWESOME, I start as a badass automatically!" with awesome armor and equipment, etc etc. Of course, then something bad happens and I'm stripped of all my good stuff. It irked me a little.

See, it didn't irk me because there's lots of first-time players who aren't going to have done the first two games. I didn't mind losing the armor and stuff because they at least gave me a good story reason for it. It's when they don't give me a story reason for it, then I get upset.

At least I didn't lose all the moves and that stuff (except for the jump/grab), which would've bothered me more.

Though I really loved Ezio complaining about "men my age" and then kvetching about his back hurting as he climbed the church. That was fun.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
At least I didn't lose all the moves and that stuff (except for the jump/grab), which would've bothered me more.

Yeah, I'm glad for this. I suppose you're right in saying that the story provided a good reason to lose the armor and weapons. But nothing would have made sense that Ezio would have lost his fighting techniques and acrobatic skills, which I think is what bugged me about Assassin's Creed 1.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Though I'd also wager than anyone who hasn't played 2 would be totally lost story-wise, so I don't think they really needed to "dumb it down" for newcomers. I missed having that second hidden blade dearly in the beginning.

I laughed at Ezio's muttered comments, too. XD

I haven't finished the story yet, got a few more sequences to go. Doing tons of sidequest stuff. I'm still stunned at how huge Rome is as an environment, and I love being able to ride a horse through the city. It's always funny galloping down a narrow sidestreet in a hurry and running a few guards down. I stole one of those warhorses once, but I gave it back. Too damn slow haha.

The story is easily one of the best I've ever seen in a game. I've only played through two of them so far but man, the Cristina memories in particular are really hitting hard emotionally. I'm finding this game on the whole to be rather melancholy, actually. Everyone's gotten older, which makes me sad. Running into Leonardo the first time was a shock with that big scruffy beard he's got going now. I'm so glad that Ezio's mother is finally recovering, though.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, mostly cause I tend not to be good at it but I'd probably give it a shot with some friends, just for fun.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Assassin's Creed 2 (I haven't played the first. Should I?), so I was feeling a little doubtful about this one, thinking it would be more like an add-on than a full fledged game. Boy, I'm glad I was wrong. I rented it on Wednesday, then bought my own copy to enjoy it entirely. It improves all the good things of AC2, but sadly doesn't corrects its flaws.

Ezio strikes me as a very powerful main character, and I'm more than happy to see his story expanded, and his surviving family taking the scene again. Both Maria and Claudia had great untapped potential in AC2, so I'm glad to see them back.

About improving Rome, I liked the SimCity-ish features from AC2 and it's great to see them magnified, but it feels more impersonal and less homey than Monteriggioni. I would've loved to have a major Assassins' Castle, but ah well.

Climbing is still realistic, but slow and doesn't responds very well to the controls. It's not bad in most situations, but very annoying in rooftop chases, second only to the fights. It's a real shame that they set up a huge city, but couldn't improve the combat system, which feels very clumsy, slow, and glitchy.

I'm very impressed with the over-arching story and loving the conspiracy theories. It's easily one of the most ambitious and well-done plots I've seen lately.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Climbing is still realistic, but slow and doesn't responds very well to the controls. It's not bad in most situations, but very annoying in rooftop chases, second only to the fights. It's a real shame that they set up a huge city, but couldn't improve the combat system, which feels very clumsy, slow, and glitchy.

What system do you have? I have the PS3 and I don't have the experience that you're describing.

Weird.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, something else--when you're out of the Animus, has anyone gone outside the villa with Eagle Vision on and found the red trail? Anyone have a clue what that's all about?

I found it during the 2nd time out. Weird.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, something else--when you're out of the Animus, has anyone gone outside the villa with Eagle Vision on and found the red trail? Anyone have a clue what that's all about?

Yeah, I used Eagle Vision on the second time out when you're rerouting the power. At first I thought that red trail was a clue as to where the power boxes are, but I was wrong. I'm not sure what it is there for, but I'm still very early in the game, so I take it that it's important later.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It occurs to me that there should be a word that carries the same meaning as brotherhood/sister, but without sounding uncool.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
What system do you have? I have the PS3 and I don't have the experience that you're describing.

Weird.

I have a PS3, and it definetely feels slow when in combat... maybe it's my console?

Maybe the read trail is there so nobody'll get lost? Beats me.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score

Yeah, I kept thinking it meant something or was a clue but I guess it's not.

As has been suggested, perhaps it's just to help people find their way back if they're using Eagle Vision. There are four or five artifacts/souveniers scattered around Monteggerionni in the present day that Desmond can collect. They'll appear in the Animus chamber once they're found.

You don't really get anything for finding them. Satisfaction of a job well-done, I guess?

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
(I haven't played the first. Should I?)

The game play is less varied. But I love the ancient Middle Eastern atmosphere of the first game better than the Italian games ... you can practically smell the smoke from people's fires, and nearly feel the desert heat scorching you. I tend to go back and play AC1 when I'm really stressed about something. It's a 'comfort game' to me.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
the Cristina memories in particular are really hitting hard emotionally.

About this, I just finished the carnival memory.

(spoiler)

Am I the only one who thinks Cristina is a major bitch for giving crap to Ezio, after he saved her fiancee, as if it's his fault she never said, insinuated or hinted that she wanted to go with him?

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
The more I play Assassin's Creed, the more I regret just how bad the first one was. I was AWED by the art in the first game. The entire idea of scaling the Dome of the Rock and running across the rooftops of Jerusalem just floored me compared to what other games were doing at the time. Unfortunately the repetitiveness of the gameplay doomed it to mediocrity. I love the more recent editions, but except for Rome I haven't really felt the same feeling of seeing those ancient cities come alive. I hope they go back to the Middle East in later editions of this series because right now it's one of my favorite game series available to play.

Also, the multiplayer is amazing in the new edition. I made a resolution to cut multiplayer out of my life so I could focus on writing and my career and well... AC: Brotherhood is the virus in that system, stealing me away for some Wanted action.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About this, I just finished the carnival memory.

(spoiler)

Am I the only one who thinks Cristina is a major bitch for giving crap to Ezio, after he saved her fiancee, as if it's his fault she never said, insinuated or hinted that she wanted to go with him?

Re: the spoiler--no, you're not. And after the last one, you really know you're right.

Not often I want to bitch-slap a game character, but I wanted to slap both of them. Seriously.

Not that I bought the last one, given everything in AC2, honestly.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The more I play Assassin's Creed, the more I regret just how bad the first one was. I was AWED by the art in the first game. The entire idea of scaling the Dome of the Rock and running across the rooftops of Jerusalem just floored me compared to what other games were doing at the time. Unfortunately the repetitiveness of the gameplay doomed it to mediocrity. I love the more recent editions, but except for Rome I haven't really felt the same feeling of seeing those ancient cities come alive. I hope they go back to the Middle East in later editions of this series because right now it's one of my favorite game series available to play.

I've heard rumors of them wanting to do something in the South American jungle in a future AC. I've also heard rumors that a future one might take place in pre-Revolutionary War America. Gotta love rumors.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
I think something involving native americans, maybe Peruvian Incas or the Aztecs at the height of their glory would be awesome. I'd love to see Tenochtitlan built with AC graphics. Or Machu Picchu.

I'd like to see them go a bit more ancient with it as I was never a fan of the Renaissance. And, honestly, playing these games is the only time I've ever found it all that interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.