The Fellowship Cafe

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vicky, I echo all of the thoughts and perspectives expressed here. I would add that most readers are able to distinguish a writer from her characters and her stories. If not, we would all have to work for churches or be ministers for fear that we'd be seen as unfaithful!

Although I don't write in the Christian genre (except for trying my hand at a praiseful poem now and then), I do pray that my writing, even the nasty scenes, supports God's will, and says what he wants it to. I try to be uplifting even though that doesn't always mean a happy ending. Or a flawless hero.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
If it helps any, the Christian market is a man-made marketing construct, nothing more, nothing less. That market doesn't speak for God, it speaks for the readers they sell books to. I did a quick google search for "Christian authors writing secular books" and got a TON of articles - I read a bunch on the first page that were really good.

I think the key is simpler than we make it - if we write in a way that doesn't distance us from God, it's fine. And that looks different for every writer, just like alcohol -- drinking can be a sin for someone who can't handle it, but it can be perfectly okay for someone who enjoys a glass of wine now and again.

You can absolutely write secular books that don't offend your convictions and beliefs without conforming to the specific market.

Your gift, your talent, your work - that's all between you and God.

:Hug2:HUGS! It's not an easy dilemma!!

That does help. I constantly remind myself that man is not in control. God makes the rules. And he owns everything. I went to the bookstore today, and i'd forgotten how ridiculously happy i am when i'm in one. Like, i swear I walked around for twenty minutes smiling like a idiot thinking, "YESSSS!" I gave that up because I thought reading books was sinful (please don't ask me why I thought that~).

You are very right. And testing everything against God helps! He will tell us what we can and can't write/do :)

Thanks you!!! :Hug2:

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Vicky, I echo all of the thoughts and perspectives expressed here. I would add that most readers are able to distinguish a writer from her characters and her stories. If not, we would all have to work for churches or be ministers for fear that we'd be seen as unfaithful!

Although I don't write in the Christian genre (except for trying my hand at a praiseful poem now and then), I do pray that my writing, even the nasty scenes, supports God's will, and says what he wants it to. I try to be uplifting even though that doesn't always mean a happy ending. Or a flawless hero.

Yes! Thank you :)

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year!

I tallied up my 2017 stats, and realized I've gotten myself into seven - count 'em, SEVEN - novels at various stages and one non-fiction project. Oy. 2018 shall be The Year of the Edit. Trying to decide which novels are going to be benchwarmers, picked one, then changed my mind. LOL The shiny new ideas are always so much louder. They need to shush so I can focus!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just back from a 3-day road trip to Suffolk, VA for a mystery authors festival. Great food, fun festival, dreadful drive (11+ hours each way). Many many Christian billboards by various denominations, but by far the best was the logo above the door of a corner store-turned-church. We drove by too quickly to take a pic, alas. The logo "Empowerment Ministries" is an open Bible with shining gold muscled arms attached to each side. Yes, the arms are flexing so the muscles bulge.

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
I want to challenge all of the writers who are Christ followers, regardless of the genre you write for, to come here to this forum at least weekly to encourage each other.

So I came here to encourage each other.

(I suppose stumbling and mumbling equals following?)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have fun, and Merry Christmas, Sweetie! :Hug2:

MAK4Him

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Merry belated Christmas and Happy "early" Easter :D!

I guess I didn't know whether this thread had "faded out"...?

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joefischermusic.com
Love the idea of this "café"! I just joined AW a few days ago and discovered this thread today. Thank you, Calla Lily, for keeping it going.

I am just finishing up a Bible study on the book of Revelation—fabulous! The book is so encouraging (if you're a Christian)—God will make "all things new". I look forward to the future.

Reactions: rhondawrites

MAK4Him

Registered
Reaction score
Hello again.
I'm a little distracted right now. I too am grateful for this cafe.

I'm still reading and praying, even when I don't know what to pray. I know that He knows what's going on and how I am and I know that I'm never alone.

Life is very complicated right now, (caring for a terminal elderly parent, sharing home with sister-in-law and elementary age niece with behavior issues and my strained marriage. Then every -sometimes every other- weekend my sister- in - laws three grandkids are over for sleepovers- ages 2yrs - 6yrs). We all live in our house.

Trying to keep up with all of my commitments, serving/volunteering, tending, caring etc etc.. in home, at niece's school and church. I find myself discouraged sometimes.

Anyway, I'm reading but not writing. It's a long complicated season which will one day produce some amazing fruit, I'm sure. Even if it's not in my life time. I continue to ask for Him to help me with my faith and I press on.

I'm jumping around right now as I'm a little tired. I hope .... yeah that's it for now. I hope. :D

Hoping that you all are in hope also.
🫶🏽
MAK