Harlequin Cutting Imprints

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...-harlequin-though-digital-sales-jump-73-.html

Among its different imprints, Harlequin is discontinuing the use of the Silhouette and Steeple Hill imprints and expanding under the Harlequin brand. According to a spokesperson, as search and discovery becomes more important to readers, "we feel that these changes will make it easier to find authors under the trusted Harlequin brand." All series books will remain the same, the spokesperson said, adding "this move to consolidate more under the Harlequin brand further maximizes out promotional spend."

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Really?! :eek: Steeple Hill? I thought that Inspie books were doing really well. I know S & H have been stepping on each other's toes for a few years now so that's not a huge surprise. But Steeple is a surprise.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy I think it's just the names they are cutting and not the actual books themselves. Does that make sense? That's what I got from it... They will just umbrella everything under Harlequin.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I heard they were moving Steeple Hill under Love Inspired? But I could be totally wrong.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yeah, but the Steeple Hill books are carried in Christian stores too. What's the odds smaller stores WON'T shelve the Harlequin name? I think they're cutting their own throat on that one.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
It's a mix up.

The Love Inspired books are popular. Sure they just expanded the historical line, releasing 4 titles per month instead of 2.

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
I'm following Angela James on Twitter and Facebook (Okay, I'm stalking her until I hear back on my Carina Press submission) and I know she was telling writers this was a good time to submit to the "Love Inspired" line. That line seems to be more Christian-oriented, so perhaps Harlequin is just moving brands and lines together, not cutting back on the numbers of books.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Really?! :eek: Steeple Hill?

Same goes. I would have thought the 'brand' name was a valuable commodity, in and of itself. Is HQN going to lose that and get nothing in particular in return?

I, too, wonder if small stores that order Steeple Hill will switch to other publishers rather than order something outright marked 'HQN', especially right now when HQN is moving to brand some very hot lines.

I'm reminded of the kerfuffle some time back when Thomas Nelson required theological conformity from its authors.

Is marketing in Inspie different from other Romance?

Last edited:

Jax3683

writing around the edges of life
Registered
Reaction score
This has me a little worried, because my company at work recently did a similar merger. We'd been operating under two company names for more than a decade, both well known in their particular area of service. (Two trucking companies that merged back in the 90's - but one hauled refrigerated and the other dry.) When they gave up the 2nd name and started operating under just one, they took a HUGE hit and lost a lot of regular costumers. Almost sending the refrigerated side out of business.

I know it's a different ball game in publishing, but that was what initially came to my mind. I hope it's different, because I tend to prefer the Silhouette Lines in most cases.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed recently that Silhouette Nocturne is now Harlequin Nocturne, so maybe it is just a renaming and not an actual cutback of books.

That's my take on it too.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the issue would be more about *losing* distribution via Christian store channels--which I thought Steeple Hill had to some extent.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Everything Silhouette XXX is going to be Harlequin XXXX (i.e. Silhouette Romantic Suspense is now Harlequin Romantic Suspense, etc), and everything Steeple Hill Love Inspired/Steeple Hill XXXX is simply going to be Love Inspired XXXX.

The only issue I see with this is how different the lines are. Harlequin Intrigue is a bit grittier and their ratio of romance to suspense tips a bit more towards suspense than Silhouette Romantic Suspense, and readers might be confused by two romantic suspense lines.

Last edited:

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, those of us who write for Intrigue are interested in finding out how that will work also. Traditionally, Intrigues are selling better than RS, so I guess we'll see.

Everything Silhouette XXX is going to be Harlequin XXXX (i.e. Silhouette Romantic Suspense is now Harlequin Romantic Suspense, etc), and everything Steeple Hill Love Inspired/Steeple Hill XXXX is simply going to be Love Inspired XXXX.

The only issue I see with this is how different the lines are. Harlequin Intrigue is a bit grittier and their ratio of romance to suspense tips a bit more towards suspense than Silhouette Romantic Suspense, and readers might be confused by two romantic suspense lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.