• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Submitting to a Publisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Two (that I know of so far) well regarded publishers accept unsolicited submissions (novels, literary). One of them wants its submission addressed to "Manuscript Submissions." My question is this, in this case is it okay to address your cover letter (which they also relquest along with 30 sample pages) to "Dear Sir or Madam"? Usually this is a big no-no but in this case (and I asked to the lady when I spoke to her on the phone if I should address my submission to anyone in particular) am I justified in doing so? Thanks.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I usually dig around to get the name of someone to submit to. Look in Writer's Market, type in the name of the publisher in Google, search writer's boards like these.... I had the same problem with a large publisher once, even called the NY office (just to speak with the receptionist), but they guarded the names of their people. To be honest--I don't remember what I used in my greeting. Wish I could help you more.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
If they want it sent to "Manuscript Submissions," then that's what you should do. In that case, I would address the letter to, "Dear Editor."

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Cathy C said:
If they want it sent to "Manuscript Submissions," then that's what you should do. In that case, I would address the letter to, "Dear Editor."

I agree, but I would still first check the website and/or call and see if you can't get a name to send it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.