For Women

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Hi gals. Have you ever heard of a scenario where a woman accidentally inserts another tampon while one is already in? My aunt did this once, and I thought about using it in my story (the character then gets toxic shock syndrome), but I'm not sure how plausible it sounds. What do you think?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
What if they got like a super absorbant tampon...like one you would wear overnight and then they just leave it in all day? I've heard of that happening.

The putting in a tampon without taking the other one out, if I read that I would question the character's intelligence. Unless you're going for comedy but then getting TSS isn't that funny. But then on tampons it does say remove used tampon before inserting a new one so putting in two at once must have happened often enough to add that in the directions/warnings.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
How on Earth would you not feel it?
God knows, but somehow she did it. Must have been distracted or stressed or something and thought she'd already taken the first one out. Not very common, then, eh?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Well, I once had a neighbor who forgot to remove her tampon before sex, so he pushed it all the way in and she completely forgot about it. She didn't notice until it rotted inside her and it started smelling, so she went to the gyno and she found it.

I don't use tampons.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I once had a neighbor who forgot to remove her tampon before sex, so he pushed it all the way in and she completely forgot about it. She didn't notice until it rotted inside her and it started smelling, so she went to the gyno and she found it.

I don't use tampons.
That's an interesting scenario for my character. Thanks!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I definitely have heard of it. I'm thinking if it were of the slimmer variety and, god help me, very soggy, it could maybe go unnoticed. Then the original one would totally be forgotten about.

Urg. Very unpleasant.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

I don't use tampons.
I actually know someone who was raped with a tampon still inside. She was only a young teenager, so it wasn't about being particularly roomy.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually did that once. I was using the "lite" tampons (do they even make those anymore? I don't think I've seen anything below "regular" in a few years). I didn't realize it until I was removing the tampon(s) later; pulled the cord and both came out.

I didn't feel it, but maybe that was because they were both lites. And yes, I was very stressed/distracted at the time: it was the day before the bar exam.

So, anyway, it can happen, even to intelligent women. :rolleyes:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Smish: they still make those (and "juniors"). :)

I can see it maybe happening in the middle of the night if your character was really tired and out of it...maybe she'd been drinking the night before or something?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
What's interesting is that there are actually very few nerve endings in the vaginal walls. What nerves there are mostly allow for the sensation of pressure, but like any static pressure, the awareness of it fades quickly.

So, that's why you wouldn't feel it if, for some reason, you didn't realize it right away.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
TWO of my friends have done this. One said she realized right away, the other not until later in the day.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just tight as a drum, then. You wouldn't get a matchstick up my foofar without me noticing.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just tight as a drum, then. You wouldn't get a matchstick up my foofar without me noticing.
But I'm not imagining they'd be there side-by-side. The 2nd one would push the 1st up into the uterus. I don't expect you'd feel it rattling around up there, would you?

sparkypants

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it'd be so implausible. Our school nurse used to tell horror stories about when she'd had to help girls get the first one out after they'd put in a second and not realised! The joys of an all girls school. I don't think it's such a push to imagine it happening. I don't know the ins and outs of TSS but I'm sure it most likely happens when a single tampon is left in too long. Maybe if the character had a too high absorbancy tampon in towards the end of her period and just forgot about it?

Reaction score
Rattling around? What are you saying, woman? It's not like throwing a mars bar up a closey, you know!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But I'm not imagining they'd be there side-by-side. The 2nd one would push the 1st up into the uterus. I don't expect you'd feel it rattling around up there, would you?
Unless her cervix was for some reason dilated, it wouldn't go up into the uterus. It could get wedged up or off to the side beside or behind the cervix.

Eeep.

ETA - I guess, on second thought, the cervix is slightly dilated during menstruation. Maybe it would be enough. I think that makes me want to cry.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Into the uterus? Through the cervix? Um, no, I wouldn't buy that.

Even if she somehow managed to not notice the string that was hanging out of her, I can't imagine she wouldn't feel the pressure of another tampon against her uterus. In no way do I believe that a tampon would fit through a cervix. Unless she was in labour.

Re; Perk's comment about dilation during menstruation: Tampons are supposed to sit right next to the cervix. If it was dilated enough for a tampon to slip in, the first one would have made it in on its own.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Lol! No. The vagina is actually a folded tube, so there are nooks if you will. (Not crannies. Never crannies.)

A sodden tampon could get crushed into one of those.

I think if it went through the cervix, you'd know.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Yup.

I did this..somehow. I never realized it until I went to the doctor because I kept bleeding this deep red color. Long after my period should have been over. She was really nice about it and took that second one out. It'd been knocked so far in between the second tampon and subsequent sex...pretty gross and very embarrassing.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Lol! No. The vagina is actually a folded tube, so there are nooks if you will. (Not crannies. Never crannies.)

A sodden tampon could get crushed into one of those.

I think if it went through the cervix, you'd know.
Ah, okay.

*Caro goes back to Anatomy 101. :)*

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I am never going to be able to unread this thread. I hate you all.