• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WhiteFire Publishing / WhiteFire Printing & Design

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
M'kay, yes, WFP looks to be the husband and wife team of David and Roseanna White, of Christian Review of Books (which is the home page for the WhiteFire Printing & Design domain). Benrey doesn't list her as a client, which could mean they only list clients they've sold for, or that she was with them before she self-published. In any case, this is at best a niche POD house, not the least problem being I couldn't find any means to buy books via the WFP website.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Roseanna is definitely agented, though I don't know who reps her, as she's posted on our local Historical Writers loop that her agent advises her against reissuing her earlier titles. And yes, Roseanna's the CEO of WhiteFire, which is beginning to accept subs from other authors besides the principals. I know that for a fact, since they considered one of mine.

Madame Butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
So may I ask how was your experience with them, Deb?

Also, while googling WhiteFire, i actually came across two WhiteFire Publishing websites: the abovementioned and http://www.whitefirepublishing.com. It was confusing at first, and I have no idea if the two have any connection, or just coincidentally have the same name.

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I don't know about the two WhiteFire sites as such. I do know that within our market, Roseanna's considered a legit, if small, press to consider your work.

That said, one caveat -- this year one of my books was published by a much larger small press. It got no distribution and therefore relatively few sales. I doubt if WhiteFire's output is going to be placed into bookstores, other than online. Apparently small presses simply cannot achieve brick-and-mortar store placement, no matter what the buyers' staff tells the distributor.

The project I pitched her was the 10th century Wales book. She said she liked the story but I'd need to dumb down the language. She says she'll still consider it if I do that. I'm not inclined to. Beta readers have said the language is fine (there are one or two Welsh terms that my beta readers easily understood by context). So I'll be subbing it elsewhere and considering small presses not at all.

This is my take on small Christian houses, and take it with some salt, since I've been burned.

Madame Butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I was kind of aware that WhiteFire was one of the small presses. I've heard both good and bad things about them (small presses, that is), and IMHO, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at them as long as they're legit. I surely wouldn't want my debut novel to end up with something dodgy like PublishAmerica or Tate Publishing. What a nightmare that would be!

Mmm, OK, i'll give this some more thought.

Btw, you're doing celtic fiction, are you? Cool, I write in historical settings as well. I wouldn't want to dumb down the language in my novel either because it would just lose the essence of it all.

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
That's my feeling re: the language. I mean, if you want 21st century lingo, read a contemporary for pity's sake. These folks in past times did not think or talk the way we do -- that's part of their attraction. I don't feel like watering down the differences in order not to befuddle 1 reader out of 1,000.

And maybe that reader will learn something -- you never know!

:D

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I love to read historical fiction, but I'd hate to have the langauge 'dumbed down' for me. That's what glossaries are for!

And Deb, I see my condition has a name! I don't suppose there's a Grobanosis support group out there somewhere?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Yes, there is ... I think so far it's just you and me. But I sense a vast untapped market out there for fellow sufferers.

(Man, did this thread ever go off-topic!)