Success! Thank you AW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you who were here the last several years are still here, but I want to thank all of you! My book will be published in the fall of 2011. I have the contract in my hands-literally! There were so many of you here who encouraged me when I was unsure or wanted to give it up. You were there when I felt like nobody wanted to hear the story of an old veteran and his daughter.

Just to jog your memory, BREAKING THE CODE - A DAUGHTER'S JOURNEY INTO HER FATHER'S SECRET WAR (slight title change), is about my quest to figure out why my father suddenly started having flashbacks and nightmares more than 50 years after the war (WWII). All I knew about his time were the stories he told. But if he sat behind a desk during the war, then why did he now have symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? The book is a memoir about our journey toward truth and toward each other. I would learn that my father worked in naval intelligence, breaking a top secret code and that work would lead to the greatest regret of his life and the reason for his nightmares.

I was looking through my very old posts just now and although there are a few that weren't encouraging, those were always tempered by many, many more who encouraged me, who believed in this project. And for that, I am indebted to you! That virtual (hmmm...) strangers would take the time to encourage an unknown like me is humbling. You never know what lives you might change and you have changed mine!

My father is now 89. His body may be slowing down, but his mind has never faltered. My publisher is talking a huge launch, publicity, and even talk-shows. I am in a bit of shock, I think, right now. I can just hardly believe it. There aren't really words that can be said that will be adequate but a resounding "Thank you!" is all I have.

Dreams do come true; and many of you were a part of that!

Sincerely,

Karen L. Alaniz (aka Lavinia)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a nonfictioner..... posts are rare on that topic, I get excited...haha

Nothing like the contract in hand, eh?
Who's the publisher?

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! It's nice to be able to share good news here. I feel like AW is my home, the place that served as a spring board to learn everything I could about writing. It's an amazing community! ~K

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Which publisher did you sell it to?

~suki

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Much congrats! I don't think I was around at that time, still still wants to shake your hand :)
It sounds really interesting.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your success. This comes at a great time for me. Good news, or news at all around the nonfiction forums is rare and something I'd love to see more of. I'm planning to do nano and am using the month of Nov. to work on the memoir I've been fearing but also wanting to write for years.

Thank you for sharing your success.

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats - I remember your story, and look forward to reading your book. Yes, this is definitely a WIN for non-fic writers! My hope is renewed.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone! The publisher is a mid-sized one out of Chicago called Sourcebooks (orignally they did business-type books, hence, the name). They really "get" the book and have an excellent history and also are known for marketing. So, that's all great for me and the book!

The planned release is the fall of 2011. I just signed the contract (photos will be on my blog this week) with my dad there. It was a proud moment. I appreciate all the well-wishes; I really do!

I had planned to do NaNoWriMo this year again. But that'll have to wait. It's for good reason though...lol. Good luck to all of you with your writing. And yes, there is most definitely a place for nonfiction in today's market. I am learning so much. ~Karen

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Lavinia! Code-breaking fascinates me, so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your book.

Cheers.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
That is wonderful! I'm so happy for you - and for your dad. That's just great. Good luck with the book launch :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Sourcebooks is a good, solid company. They're becoming an up and comer in several fields. Plus, VERY nice and talented ladies behind it. :)

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!! Sourcebooks is an excellent, up-and-coming publisher. I hope you're doing a lot of happy dancing right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.