Why I Don't Like Hunger Games (spoilers)

piano_island

Registered
Reaction score
Two days ago, I picked up a copy of Hunger Games from the grocery store. With all the hype and considering the fact that I write YA, like everyone else here, I figure it was about time I caught up with the craze. (Especially since the trilogy is complete because I cannot stand waiting for the next book of any series whether it's Harry Potter or Twilight.)

Within the first chapter, I wanted to put the book down and never finish it, but I kept with it until the bitter end although I was screaming aloud with distaste nearly every chapter.

So now I come here to discuss the points that I disliked with all of you. And by discuss, I mean discuss...not argue and Twi-out.

1. Cliffhanger Chapters

At the end of nearly every chapter, if not all, there is a cliffhanger that begs you to begin the next chapter. It's a clever way to get people to continue reading and become "hooked" on the plot, yet at the same time, I feel as though it is a cop out. In my mind, I liken it to an M.Night Shyamalan style tactic which grows old and groan worthy over time.

2. Telling vs. Showing

For example, the scene where Katniss is repeating Not me, not me over and over again until it is revealed that it is her sister who was chosen. Wouldn't it have been more effective to build the tension with Katniss describing her feelings and then letting the person who drew the name reveal the contestant themselves? That's just one example where I found many within the book...like a flashback every time Katniss wants to describe to you, yet again, that her dad died in the mines.

3. Katniss

She has been described as a strong female character, but in my mind she has a strong tendency to be easily comparable to the dreaded Bella Swan. Instead of a knack for housekeeping and a worn copy of Wuthering Heights, she has a bow. Aside from selflessly taking the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she rarely makes a decision. When it comes to establishing her as a contender in the Games, she falls prey to the innocent, babbling girl routine who only becomes important in the eyes of the audience when a boy declares his love for her. Said boy is then used repeatedly to gain favor from sponsors while she's in the game...she uses her sexual prowess and is rewarded accordingly. When the games are over, she drops him like a bad habit (Yes, Peeta...you've just been Jacobed). Also, she's got the "I didn't know every boy loved me" routine down pat. To make her achieve some sort of sainthood, she never actually killed anyone outright in order to survive the game. It's as though she's just accidentally thrown around by circumstance until she inadvertantly kills someone(s), kills someone who is harming a friend, and kills someone out of mercy.

4. Rue Saga

Katniss barely knew Rue. They worked together for about 24 hours. Yes, Rue reminded her of her sister. However, I feel as though Rue was introduced as an ally for the sole purpose of killing her off to drive the plot. I didn't care when she died.

These are only a small handful of the problems I had with the book, but I feel the need to discuss them with the rest of you writerly folk. So...discuss.

True

blue rain, na'vi dances, color code
Registered
Reaction score
North of East then West of South, now a little to
I really had an issue with #2 (lol, I'm so immature), because I didn't think the voice was compelling enough to be telling us what was happening all the time instead of showing us. I wish Suzanne had shown us what was happening more often. But I did keep reading because it had the sort of grittiness I like in a book, although there were moments where my progress lagged. In the end, I liked it. I prefer Catching Fire over Hunger Games, though, because I feel like Suzanne's writing improved in that book.

Anyway, interesting points.

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
glenakinsays.blogspot.com
The problems you listed I didn't have them with "The Hunger Games". That's still one of my favourite YA books. That been said, the other books in the series, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, are ridiculously overhyped. A waste, really.

Edit: actually I do see your point when you talk about the showing vs telling. Man, there's a lot of that, and it gets worse when you read Catching Fire and then Mockingjay. In Mockingjay, characters die like ants getting exterminated. As in, they just die, like 5 per page, and it's just telling: "And then john died. And then Kate died. And then Peter died. And then Samson died." Somehow I was supposed to feel sorry that the characters died, but instead I felt sorry that their deaths were handled with little care.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The reason I didn't like the Hunger Games was that it was 100% predictable and, while the suffering was real, the conflict was false. From about chapter 2 onward, there was not a single moment of surprise or difficult decision. Everything is easy. Golly, the rules say we have to kill each other but it's twoo wuv! Whatever shall we do? So I had to gag through hundreds of pages before reaching the nonchallenging, unsurprising conclusion.

I haven't read the sequels. The one good thing about the book was that it's written in a page-turner style.

Procrastinista

Registered
Reaction score
Two days ago, I picked up a copy of Hunger Games from the grocery store. With all the hype and considering the fact that I write YA, like everyone else here, I figure it was about time I caught up with the craze. (Especially since the trilogy is complete because I cannot stand waiting for the next book of any series whether it's Harry Potter or Twilight.)

Within the first chapter, I wanted to put the book down and never finish it, but I kept with it until the bitter end although I was screaming aloud with distaste nearly every chapter.

So now I come here to discuss the points that I disliked with all of you. And by discuss, I mean discuss...not argue and Twi-out.

1. Cliffhanger Chapters

At the end of nearly every chapter, if not all, there is a cliffhanger that begs you to begin the next chapter. It's a clever way to get people to continue reading and become "hooked" on the plot, yet at the same time, I feel as though it is a cop out. In my mind, I liken it to an M.Night Shyamalan style tactic which grows old and groan worthy over time.

2. Telling vs. Showing

For example, the scene where Katniss is repeating Not me, not me over and over again until it is revealed that it is her sister who was chosen. Wouldn't it have been more effective to build the tension with Katniss describing her feelings and then letting the person who drew the name reveal the contestant themselves? That's just one example where I found many within the book...like a flashback every time Katniss wants to describe to you, yet again, that her dad died in the mines.

3. Katniss

She has been described as a strong female character, but in my mind she has a strong tendency to be easily comparable to the dreaded Bella Swan. Instead of a knack for housekeeping and a worn copy of Wuthering Heights, she has a bow. Aside from selflessly taking the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she rarely makes a decision. When it comes to establishing her as a contender in the Games, she falls prey to the innocent, babbling girl routine who only becomes important in the eyes of the audience when a boy declares his love for her. Said boy is then used repeatedly to gain favor from sponsors while she's in the game...she uses her sexual prowess and is rewarded accordingly. When the games are over, she drops him like a bad habit (Yes, Peeta...you've just been Jacobed). Also, she's got the "I didn't know every boy loved me" routine down pat. To make her achieve some sort of sainthood, she never actually killed anyone outright in order to survive the game. It's as though she's just accidentally thrown around by circumstance until she inadvertantly kills someone(s), kills someone who is harming a friend, and kills someone out of mercy.

4. Rue Saga

Katniss barely knew Rue. They worked together for about 24 hours. Yes, Rue reminded her of her sister. However, I feel as though Rue was introduced as an ally for the sole purpose of killing her off to drive the plot. I didn't care when she died.

These are only a small handful of the problems I had with the book, but I feel the need to discuss them with the rest of you writerly folk. So...discuss.

Of your points, the only one that bothered me was point 2. In particular, Chapter 1 contains a ton of showing. Not only was there showing, but Katniss had all kinds of unnatural thoughts. She's not going to be thinking, "Oh, here's that electric fence that borders the woods and it's illegal to go hunting." She's known that for ages. She might think, "Oh good, no humming, so I can go hunt" or some such. This is one small example of numerous pseudo thoughts in Chapter 1.

But Collins made it work by creating such a sense of impending doom. However, my thirteen-year-old son did get impatient with the first third of the book. He kept wanting the games to begin. But once the games kicked in, he was totally gripped.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm, I agree that there was a lot of telling, but this was a YA book. The specific example you gave didn't bother me.

Cliffhanger chapter endings don't bother me much either. I agree Collins overused them a bit. But again, it's YA. I'll forgive a lot of things that would bother me in adult fiction.

I do disagree about Katniss being Bella Swan. Katniss had her problems (paranoia, author-induced cluelessness, and a refusal to make up her damn mind -- okay, that last part was kind of Bella-ish, I guess), but I think she was pretty proactive, overall. And considering what a horrible, dysfunctional environment she's grown up in and the even worse situation she's been put in, I can also forgive a teenager kind of losing it and not exactly acting rationally all the time.

I found the Rue storyline affecting, though a touch heavy-handed.

The reason I didn't like the Hunger Games was that it was 100% predictable and, while the suffering was real, the conflict was false. From about chapter 2 onward, there was not a single moment of surprise or difficult decision. Everything is easy. Golly, the rules say we have to kill each other but it's twoo wuv! Whatever shall we do? So I had to gag through hundreds of pages before reaching the nonchallenging, unsurprising conclusion.

Well, it really wasn't twoo wuv. Or at least, it wasn't at that point (or, arguably, ever).

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, i ripped into the Hunger Game's worldbuilding something firce.

Seriously, you had genetically engineered killing machine, but you're still growing regular bread!?

And what the fuck, who INVADES a city that's starving? ITS CALLED A SIEGE! LOOK IT FUCKING UP!

And seriously, JETS WOULD STILL FUNCTION EVEN WITHOUT AN UPPER ATMOSPHERE!

And where the fuck was china!? Or india? Or the other first world countries that could have easily survived a nuclear exchange and climate change?

Were they just twiddling their thumbs?

ARGH

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
And where the fuck was china!? Or india? Or the other first world countries that could have easily survived a nuclear exchange and climate change?

ARGH

For most YA books, heck, most books in general, China and India do not exist. I've learned not to be angry about it (but then it helps that I can understand Chinese movies and stuff - where they actually do acknowledge the fact the US and Europe exist)

I liked The Hunger Games. It's one of those books that just 'spoke' to me. I don't know how else to explain it - but ia that Catching Fire couldn't match the bar - but then the bar was set high - and I still haven't read Mockingjay. I mean people die! I'm gonna avoid that as long as I can!

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I just blogged my review of Mockingjay, so this is timely.

Hunger Games is a derivative idea that's pretty well executed IMHO. No, Katniss isn't the best heroine in the world, the hint at a love triangle is okay but I got that the Peeta crush was there to add tension in the arena. I wasn't that bothered by the telling rather than showing - it's in first person, where it's harder to show anyway without tying yourself up in knots and the voice carried me through. I wasn't impressed with the clifhanger endings, but they're a general pet peeve of mine. Except when I use them because then they're brilliant.

Catching Fire I didn't like. It's basically The Hunger Games with a train journey and older competitors. I felt that all the scope promised in book 1 failed to get delivered and the ending was too compressed.

Mockingjay was, IMO, an intersting book. Collins stays true to her central theme of how violence and war damages people and draws it out to its conclusion here. Katniss's emotional distance worked for me here and while I never empathised with her, I did sympathise with her. For me, anyone blathering about Team Gale -v- Team Peeta has utterly missed the point of the books - Collins herself says so with a one-liner thrown at Katniss about the subject that she says is completely wrong. It is a flawed book. I didn't like the check list of death and the epilogue was a big mistake - it would have been better IMHO if she'd left the loose ends to keep people wondering rather than trying to tie everything up with a big red bow. However the themes about how rebellions fought for good reasons can turn bad and how politicians are self-motivated by their own power rung true and that's why I thought it was a good read.

MM

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I will say this that SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

President Snow is a raving incompetent. Stalin ran a batter dictatorship, and Stalin didn't have any advanced technology. He just had sheer bloodymindedness AND a fighting man's mustache.

Seriously, it took ONE...ONE person spilling his guys and suddenly the entire power structure of the Capitol began to unravel? Just one man had those secrets? And he wasn't...like...fucking nerve stapled or just flat out executed?

ARGH. And don't get me started on the pants-on-head moronic way he handled a rebellion. The whole quarter quell thing was just...stupid. So very stupid. People have short memories. Provide bread and circuses and then knock Katniss and whatshisname off in a quiet way. I mean, Snow WAS supposed to be a master of poison, right?

If you're going to run an evil totalitarian dictatorship, you should at the very least be competent.

END SPOILERS.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i read the whole series. i liked it BUT it was SO predictable...and the retelling drove me crazy. for all the rehashing of what went on, it could have VERY EASILY been one book. Not even retelling from one book to another to keep those who didn't read the previous book in the loop...but retelling from chapter to chapter too. I just got so sick of reading the same information over again. It could have SO been 1 book. But...I read all three. mission accomplished.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

snip

All true, but you might as well pick apart the Harry Potter series for the same flaws. The wizarding world doesn't make any kind of sense, and Voldemort's evil plans were cartoonishly stupid.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
YOU HAVE A TIME MACHINE HARRY!

GO BACK IN TIME AND BEAT TOM RIDDLE TO DEATH WITH A NINE IRON AND ROLL HIM INTO THE THAMES!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I love the trilogy as a whole, but mostly the first book carried my love for the trilogy. I didn't notice the telling in HG either time I read it, but, god, it was annoying in Catching Fire. The cliffhanger chapters were a plus, IMO, for HG, but in Mockingjay, they were poorly carried out. The chapter would hang from a cliff pretty well, but then the next chapter would start with Katniss safely down from the cliff in a hospital with wounds being taken care of. This was a pretty disappointing way to start those next chapters, especially when it was done over and over again.

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm, I agree that there was a lot of telling, but this was a YA book. The specific example you gave didn't bother me.

Cliffhanger chapter endings don't bother me much either. I agree Collins overused them a bit. But again, it's YA. I'll forgive a lot of things that would bother me in adult fiction.
Right. So it's YA therefore some of its blatant weaknesses and flaws should be excused? I thought you lot wanted everyone to treat YA just like every other genre? How's anyone supposed to take YA seriously if in the end when a YA book sucks at some level all people are going to come out and say, "Well, it's YA. It's ok."??

Oh man, i ripped into the Hunger Game's worldbuilding something firce.

Seriously, you had genetically engineered killing machine, but you're still growing regular bread!?

And what the fuck, who INVADES a city that's starving? ITS CALLED A SIEGE! LOOK IT FUCKING UP!

And seriously, JETS WOULD STILL FUNCTION EVEN WITHOUT AN UPPER ATMOSPHERE!

ARGH

END SPOILERS.
LMAO!!! SPOT ON, MATE! HAHAHA!

All true, but you might as well pick apart the Harry Potter series for the same flaws. The wizarding world doesn't make any kind of sense, and Voldemort's evil plans were cartoonishly stupid.
Harry Potter made more sense than Hunger Games, hands down. And Voldemort's evil plans were not "cartoonishly stupid". He wanted a world where (a) wizards didn't have to hide from muggles and bend over just to ensure that muggles don't know about their existence, (b) wizards are the ruling class and muggles serve them, because technically wizards are more powerful, and (c) wizards consist of only those of pure blood.

In summary, Voldemort felt that wizards were superior to muggles and muggles should be put in their place, beneath the shoes of wizards, through slavery, death, or any means necessary.

These are pretty complex themes for an MG/YA book. Hell, I don't see that many contemporary YA authors tackling issues like this. It's all vampires and werewolves and falling in loooove.

Do not presume that Harry Potter is "cartoonish" because it's basically magic. Underneath all those spells and fantastical creatures lies a well-rounded world that mimics the world we live in today. Everything Voldemort wanted, which I just listed, are exactly what quite a good number of white people in America and the world over want. Surprised? You shouldn't be.

What's Hunger Games about? Totalitarianism. But just as Zoombie aptly put forward, the totalitarianism in Hunger Games sucks. I find it difficult to believe this Snow guy, with all the technology at his disposal, couldn't just crush Katniss once and for all. And fighting a country that makes only bread is pretty fucking lame.

In short, the entire of Mockingjay was just beyond ridiculous. All Katniss did was dress up in a costume and pose in front of the camera, and somehow that "inspired" people to fight. And why is she the mockingjay again? Because she refused to kill a boy she loves in the hunger games. Now, why didn't anybody think of doing that for 70-something hunger games??!?!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Right. So it's YA therefore some of its blatant weaknesses and flaws should be excused? I thought you lot wanted everyone to treat YA just like every other genre? How's anyone supposed to take YA seriously if in the end when a YA book sucks at some level all people are going to come out and say, "Well, it's YA. It's ok."??
Whoa, that is one person saying that. Who is this "you lot" and "all people" you're talking about?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Voldermort could have done his plan better by just appearing before Bill Gates, and going, "Hey, I can make hand held smartphones with magic. BAM!"

And Bill Gates would go, "Make that Man my co-CEO or something."

Then Voldermort could arrange an "accident" for Gates and then become the CEO of Microsoft. Then he can parlay that into a buisness empire to crush all others, and then take over the world...subtly, by marrying magic with consumer products. The might of the industrial revolution! Before you know it, mass produced magical rifles, and flying tanks, with secret police appearing in fireplaces to drag you off to concentration camps, ruled over by Dementors with machine guns that shoot exploding fireballs!

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Whoa, that is one person saying that. Who is this "you lot" and "all people" you're talking about?
This isn't the first time (even today) I've heard a pro-YA person go "it's YA. It's ok" when a YA book was criticised for having a certain flaw, which is why I said "you lot".

By the way, I love YA. I'm not some literary snob.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

No, I don't think it's okay for YA to suck. I think it's okay for YA to, for example, telegraph plot developments, do more "telling," and explain things that in an adult novel the author would assume the reader already knows, because YA readers are generally younger and less experienced readers.

Also, my suspension of disbelief is higher for children's and YA fiction. I loved Harry Potter, but that world would never fly in an adult fantasy series.

Harry Potter made more sense than Hunger Games, hands down. And Voldemort's evil plans were not "cartoonishly stupid". He wanted a world where (a) wizards didn't have to hide from muggles and bend over just to ensure that muggles don't know about their existence, (b) wizards are the ruling class and muggles serve them, because technically wizards are more powerful, and (c) wizards consist of only those of pure blood.
You are confusing "plans" with "goals."

Voldemort's goals ("Take over the world, oppress Muggles") made sense from his POV.

Voldemort's plans (for example, "Kill Harry Potter by secretly entering his name in a wizarding tournament then have one of my minons cheat to help him win so that he'll touch a magical thing-a-majig to teleport him to where one of my other minions will tie him up and use him in a ceremony to resurrect me, whereupon I will summon all my other minions, taunt him, then give him back his wand before killing him") were cartoonishly stupid.

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed the Hunger Games, but it's neither the first story I've read with this premise (my favorite of these death game reads will always be King's The Long Walk), nor the most violent YA book I've read, so that hype was kind of lost on me.

I also thought it took too long to get started. I got really impatient with all the obsession over her outfit and makeup.

But overall I enjoyed it.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I attempted to read the Hunger Games, but couldn't really get past the fourth chapter. I found it to be a bit too boring for me. I thought about picking it up again at some other point since I had flipped to the back of the book and read a couple pages that sounded far more interesting than what I had previously read. I'm not sure whether I will ever give it another go or not. Maybe when I'm in between lulls or something.

Penang

Registered
Reaction score
well, I haven't read Hunger Games yet but I just got my notice from the library that it was in. I've pretty much only heard positive things about it so this was an enlightening thread to read. Not sure now what to expect, although this has lowered my expectations. Very interesting discussion!

True

blue rain, na'vi dances, color code
Registered
Reaction score
North of East then West of South, now a little to
I did think the beginning was way too slow. Oh my God, there were several times when I thought, "Hm, I have the kitchen to clean. I better put this book down..." which I wouldn't do with a book that holds my interest enough to make me get through it with minimal straying thoughts. I remember getting a third way through it and wondering why we weren't getting to see the action--which just goes to the whole show vs. tell thing.

I wonder how many pages it would've been if the makeup stuff and buildup to the actual action had been taken out or rather, taken down. I say at least a 100 pages.

Hungers Games isn't Harry Potter (meaning I didn't love, love it) and it's not a Twilight (something that evoked strong reactions out of me), but it is a pretty good series, I'd say.

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You are confusing "plans" with "goals."

Voldemort's goals ("Take over the world, oppress Muggles") made sense from his POV.

Voldemort's plans (for example, "Kill Harry Potter by secretly entering his name in a wizarding tournament then have one of my minons cheat to help him win so that he'll touch a magical thing-a-majig to teleport him to where one of my other minions will tie him up and use him in a ceremony to resurrect me, whereupon I will summon all my other minions, taunt him, then give him back his wand before killing him") were cartoonishly stupid.
Huh.

Ok. Let me get this straight. "An evil wizard who has recently regained his strength reckons that his greatest threat is a boy who he tried to kill but somehow couldn't kill. The evil wizard absolutely has to kill this boy, but knows that the boy is in an enchanted school and under the watchful eye of the greatest magician to ever live, a man who the evil wizard cannot face and possibly expect to triumph over. In other words, traipsing into the school and getting his hands on the boy is a pretty fucking stupid idea, as far as the evil wizard is concerned.

So the evil wizard devises a plan that puts the boy in a tournament where he's faced with constant danger. But of course the evil wizard knows that the likelihood of the boy dying in the tournament is next to nothing. He knows that the only way he can guarantee the boy's death is if the boy is delivered to him. So, he plants one of his agents in this boy's school, and the agent helps the boy win the tournament. The boy touches the tournament cup and is transported to the evil wizard
."

And you think that's cartoonishly stupid?

Compared to:

"A dictator who smells like blood puts a bunch of kids into an arena and asks them to kill each other. (For some reason none of the adults, all hundreds of million of them, actually thinks: "Hang on a minute, that's my kid out there about to get her head chopped off. I should ACTUALLY do something!") At the end of all the fighting one girl and one boy remain. The girl refuses to kill the boy, and she and the boy plan to kill themselves together. Both girl and boy are spared as a result. Then the evil dictator visits the girl and tells her to convince everyone that she's really in love with the boy (because that's a really solid way to eradicate your threat - force her to go on national television, dress up in fancy clothes and pretend that she's in love with some bloke who's supposed to have some kind of silver tongue that can make people do things they normally wouldn't want to do. E.g he can ask a girl to strip naked and somehow she would just do it, cos his words are just that powerful). Then the evil dictator retires to his fortress of solitude, surrounded by roses that smell like blood, waiting for the right moment to strike. Waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And then he gets caught, and finally he dies laughing. No, I'm not joking. He literally laughs to death."

If Voldemort's plans were cartoonishly stupid, only God knows what President Snow's plans were.

Notice how the first summary is actually voldemort's plan in ONE book, and the second summary is president's snow's master, diabolical plan in the ENTIRE series.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
And you think that's cartoonishly stupid?

Yes.

Dude, you can try to cast Voldemort as an evil genius all you like, but Rowling's worldbuilding was no more realistic than Collins's and she wrote more plot holes.

I'm a Potter fan myself, but this "Harry Potter rules, Hunger Games drools!" crusade you're on is kind of silly.