• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Embrace Books / Salt Publishing

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I would discuss the writer I know hasn't been paid with you, Jane, but I was told about the problem in confidence and so really can't. However, I shall suggest that the writer concerned contacts Salt again and lets me know what happens; and I'll report back here what the result is of that discussion.
Just wondered whether this was followed up. I'd be interested to hear the result.

Jane_H

Registered
Reaction score
requested update

The above concerns were never chased up with me, so I can only repeat what I said at the time, that as far as I am concerned, those issues were resolved.

Re the launch of Embrace Books, that is happening tomorrow, February 14th 2011.

We are launching with seven very beautifully produced high quality romance titles, by some internationally known names, including a top-selling Mills & Boon author, so I hope any romance writers here will take a look at them and maybe send some work to Embrace.

We are also offering two titles in paperback as well as digital editions for Kindle and ePub.

Here's one of our titles on Kindle, The Lady Soldier, by Michelle Styles and Kate Allan. We also have sexy contemporary, suspense and historical romance. Looking for hot paranormal romances!

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Since the link in Jane's post above yours is now useless, and a search for "The Lady Soldier" on Amazon.uk does not yield a book by those authors...

I'm guessing autumn releases may not be forthcoming.

The book still appears to be available, but it's on Salt's site now, which is where Embrace redirects to.
http://www.saltpublishing.com/shop/proddetail.php?prod=9781844718504&cat=106

Last edited:

LawlessLara

South the river this time of night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.logophile.blogfiction.net
Well that was awkward.
Given the recent shambolic events in the UK poetry society I hope, whether it is by the Arts Council's grants or actual commercial viability, that Salt stay alive.

Jane_H

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is indeed an awkward situation. As I'm now under contract for a 3 novel series to Transworld and about to sign a 3 book YA contract with Random House Children's books, I simply could not stay on as Executive Editor of Embrace Books. I gave my resignation privately some time ago, then waited for a replacement to be found, as there were books in the pipeline for this autumn and I knew a smooth transition would be an issue for those authors.

Unfortunately, time passed and no replacement was found. I then had no option but to formally resign with no transition in place.

At that point, Salt (the owner) decided that it would close the imprint rather than sell it. All rights were immediately reverted - some of the books have already been published elsewhere, only a few weeks later - and although I have offered support to any stranded or upset authors, I can't do much more than give personal advice, as I no longer work for Salt and am no longer connected to them in any way.

As far as I am aware, there was no formal announcement by Salt about any of this.

The imprint was doing okay, though not selling as fast as we'd have hoped after its first six months. However, one launch title sold over 1000 copies in our first quarter of trading. So I'm unable to explain why it had to close, except that possibly they were unable to find a replacement who would work under the same terms as I did, and have no one else experienced in editing popular fiction on their staff.

Very sad business. But all rights have been smartly reverted and, as far as I know, all royalties due should have been paid by now.

Please bear in mind that I am no longer with Salt Publishing, and take all this information as potentially out of date. One of the authors might be better placed to comment.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
At that point, Salt (the owner) decided that it would close the imprint rather than sell it. All rights were immediately reverted - some of the books have already been published elsewhere, only a few weeks later - and although I have offered support to any stranded or upset authors, I can't do much more than give personal advice, as I no longer work for Salt and am no longer connected to them in any way.

As far as I am aware, there was no formal announcement by Salt about any of this.

I think this says it all in a nutshell for those reflecting back on this thread over the past year or so. Why start a digital only imprint and then even contemplate selling it when it had hardly even built a reputation as an e-imprint?

Early on in this thread the point was made - by myself and others - that when you are a struggling independent, the answer is never to expand the reach of a business. Success and expansion only follows a period of consolidation.

Congrats Jane on the book deal with Transworld. I think you are better out than in, and you summed it up well when you said;

"except that possibly they were unable to find a replacement who would work under the same terms as I did, and have no one else experienced in editing popular fiction on their staff."

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
There's a discussion here. I'm sure a mod will be along to tidy this up shortly...

Last edited by a moderator:

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I found this publisher on twitter. I was just wondering has anyone any experience with them.

http://www.saltpublishing.com/index.htm

No longer accepts unsolicited manuscripts from poets and fairly solid advice on how to submit to a poetry press here.

QUOTED:

Make sure your work is appearing in a wide range of magazines, online and in print. If you haven’t yet had your work printed in magazines, you don’t currently need Salt. If you’re savvy, you might also research the magazines we’re keeping an eye on by checking where our current writers are actually appearing — you can discover this in the acknowledgements pages of our books.

Take part in readings, festivals and events, especially those involving our existing writers. We’re more likely to notice you if you’re working with our writers, and it’s a good sign for us that you’re actively taking your work out to readers and working with audiences already.

Review our writers and support their work. It’s hard not to notice people who are paying you some critical attention. Additionally, this will familiarise you with our list and you can see how you might fit in to it. Knowing our list and knowing we’re right for your work will surely make for a convincing discussion if we approach you. We approach new people all the time.

Invite our writers to your own reading group, writers’ group or regular event, ask them to judge a competition you run or run a workshop or teach a class or give a guest lecture — we can’t fail to notice you if you’re working with us already. If you don’t host an event or run a writers’ group, why not start one — and don’t just work with us, work with all the publishers that interest you. The best way to raise the profile of your own writing is to collaborate with other writers. We’ll notice you if you’re working to develop new readerships for us.

Get involved in social media and find us and join us on Facebook and Twitter. Read our blog and comment on it. We’d always presume if you wanted us to publish you that you would be very interested in everything we do. If we’ve never heard of you, we’re not going to discover you. Remember, if we can’t see you or hear you, we know for certain that none of our customers will either.

Build your reputation carefully, deliberately and attend to your work. Taking your writing seriously means that you will be taking your life as a writer seriously, too: we’d expect you to be known among a wide range of writing communities for your dedication, commitment, support, and especially your actual activity in the genre. Make a name for yourself and you’ll create more chances for your writing.

Become a friend and a fan of our writers. Recommendation means a lot to us, if one of our writers tells us that there’s someone good we might enjoy, we’ll pay attention. Recommendations need to be earned and need to be meaningful. But a recommendation from one of our writers means you’ve worked to make your writing known and have done enough for one of our writers to support you.

It’s not that your work should be good enough, it’s that, in addition to being quite brilliantly, let’s say astonishingly well-written, it is also capable of being sold. Think about that. Lots of great new writing cannot be sold (which is fine, it just can’t involve Salt). Our job is to find the writers that people want to pay money to read. The best way to judge your own work in this respect, is to read widely and deeply those contemporary books now being printed and sold in bookshops and ask yourself if your work fits. Basically, know your market. If you don’t think there is one, you don’t need Salt.

Discover who our editors are and support them, be actively interested in them — but don’t stalk them or antagonise them. If our editors are able to notice you, then it’s possible they will approach you. If you don’t put yourself in the way of our editors, we’ll miss you. This is a hurdle, but if you jump it, we know you’re willing to get yourself and your writing some attention. It goes without saying, that we don’t publish people we can’t get on with — if we’re spending thousands on a writer, we want to make sure we like them and can work with them. Being a good colleague matters.

Buy our books. If you don’t, we might not be here to consider you. If we don’t sell books, we go bust. If you are absolutely certain that we’re the right publisher for you, we’d be absolutely certain you were the right reader for us. Literature is, among other things, an economy, so we need book sales in order to take on new writers. The more books we sell, the bigger our business becomes — and we can commit to publishing more new writers.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Early on in this thread the point was made - by myself and others - that when you are a struggling independent, the answer is never to expand the reach of a business. Success and expansion only follows a period of consolidation.
(I said this a year and a half ago)

Regarding Embrace - it was always going to end in tears.