Wedding schedule

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
It's still several volumes away, but I'm planning a wedding.

Right now I've got an afternoon wedding and an evening reception with a sit-down dinner in a hotel ballroom. It's very formal, so the dress code is different for each event - suits or morning coats for the ceremony, black tie for the reception.

How long after the ceremony should I schedule the reception? The church is two blocks from the hotel. There would be people travelling from all over the world for the event, but also a lot of people who live in the area.

(The next task will be to determine enough of a seating chart to describe the scene properly, given that some of the guests will be ambassadors and minor royalty.)

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com

Right now I've got an afternoon wedding and an evening reception with a sit-down dinner in a hotel ballroom. It's very formal, so the dress code is different for each event - suits or morning coats for the ceremony, black tie for the reception.

How long after the ceremony should I schedule the reception? The church is two blocks from the hotel. There would be people travelling from all over the world for the event, but also a lot of people who live in the area.

(The next task will be to determine enough of a seating chart to describe the scene properly, given that some of the guests will be ambassadors and minor royalty.)

You'll need time for the wedding party photos to be taken, if they all weren't done before and during the ceremony. And time for the guests to get changed. The local guests will have to have time to drive home, get changed, and drive back.

I would probably plan the reception four hours after the ceremony with the situation you've described. That will give people plenty of time for photos, driving and changing.

Good luck with your project.
DL

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Usually it's two to three hours between wedding and reception. As DL said the photographers need time for pictures, often the married couple does something special, horse-drawn carriage through the park or the like. Sometimes the venue opens early so guests don't have to wander aimlessly about while waiting, but the official reception isn't until the bride and groom make their entrance.

mtrenteseau

Registered
Reaction score
You'll need time for the wedding party photos to be taken, if they all weren't done before and during the ceremony. And time for the guests to get changed. The local guests will have to have time to drive home, get changed, and drive back.

I would probably plan the reception four hours after the ceremony with the situation you've described. That will give people plenty of time for photos, driving and changing.

Good luck with your project.
DL

The wedding is in Manhattan, so most but not all of the in-town guests can get home in about twenty minutes by cab. I hadn't even considered the formal pictures!

I'm thinking four hours is good - The church has a Saturday service at noon, which would be over by 1:00. Have the wedding start at 2:00, it's over about 3:15-3:30, then the reception starts at 7:00. I want people to be able to have lunch first, and someone will probably gripe about how you can't get a cab in Midtown Manhattan on a Saturday at 1:30 because everyone's going to matinees.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If it's being thrown by a wealthy couple/family/whatever, they would probably arrange an optional dinner/tea at the hotel or the church, a quaint restaurant, etc, too.

Never make your guests have to buy their own food between your events on the same day.

A friend could host this, or a restaurant, etc, and the couple doesn't have to be there, but someone's going to jump in and host something (optional) to eat for lunch :)

mtrenteseau

Registered
Reaction score
If it's being thrown by a wealthy couple/family/whatever, they would probably arrange an optional dinner/tea at the hotel or the church, a quaint restaurant, etc, too.

Never make your guests have to buy their own food between your events on the same day.

A friend could host this, or a restaurant, etc, and the couple doesn't have to be there, but someone's going to jump in and host something (optional) to eat for lunch :)

It's a very wealthy family. The reception includes a sit-down dinner, so maybe a "hospitality suite" like they do at business conferences, with drinks and little nibbly things.

There will definitely be groups getting together for lunch before the ceremon. Haven't decided how, but I'm thinking this will add to some of the tension. Not as bad as someone I know who found out two years later that her husband had slept with one of the bridesmaids two days before the wedding, but something interesting. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Wowza!! That's tension :D

A hospitality suite would be great. We'd call this 'meal' tea (in this case), but we're Southern. That probably doesn't translate well to the rest of the country. Refeshments? I have no clue, lol :D

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

#

Ok, you have several issues here, if it's an afternoon wedding then morning suits are bad form, especially if it;'s a formal affair, black tie would be appropriate for afternoon.

Plus, for people going to the whole thing, they will need time to change etc, which can disrupt the day.

You will need to allow time for photographs etc. the best option would be to have the reception scheduled to take place or to be available to take place from about half way through the ceremony. this means that guest who arrive too late for the ceremony, or who leave early or who aren't for whatever reason in teh photographs, can head over early. in this instance you should have an ante room or similar available for drinks and a gathering area. they should not have access to the main room until the bridal party arrive.

If you are havign a meal then at least two hours after the end of the ceremony, possibly even three. it sounds like a lot, but by the time the photo's and chat etc are done, it's a very short time really.

mtrenteseau

Registered
Reaction score
Shaldna, thanks - I agree. I really need four hours, with some sort of pre-reception available immediately following the ceremony. That time will fly by for the wedding party as it gets filled with various post-wedding responsibilities.

I was the best man at a wedding that was a chaotic rush; I had to write out schedules for each member of the wedding party, because the bride originally expected me to drive over 100 miles bouncing all over town the day of the ceremony and still be ready for a 1:00pm wedding.

(The bride was forty-five minutes late, the only thing that went wrong besides that was due to the bride ordering someone to divert from their printed schedule, and the marriage didn't last two years.)

I am going to stick with the "morning coats," though - I don't think tuxedos are appropriate before 6pm.