• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Does Writer's Block Really Exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
I've not been working on my latest WIP for a while now. Possibly because it's rubbish, but mainly because I've been cramped with the dreaded Writer's Block.

Or have I?

The reason I'm finding it tough to go forwards is because I don't know how the blooming thing's going to end. I know how it's supposed to end. But I can't come up with a magical moment that's a)satisfactory, and b)plausible. And by magical moment, I mean the bit where your reader says... Wow!

So my question to you, is, does Writer's Block exist? Or is it just a symptom of bad plotting? Or something altogether worse.

Regards

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
everybody is going to give you a different answer. in my world it definitely does NOT exist. ever.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Does Writer's Block Really Exist?

Yes, I've had it for forteen months now and I've just about given up

Richard

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm unwilling to enter into this discussion unless I'm well-armed. It's pretty divisive.

My opinion is that it doesn't exist. There are a bazillion reasons people don't or cant' write, but writer's block makes about as much sense as sculptor's block, or perhaps accountant's block.

I suspect self-doubt, lack of enthusiasm, or realizing how daunting a project is are major factors in not being able to write.

Maryn, not big on labels

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Well, for me, the only time I can't write is when I am depressed. So my writer's block is a depressive state. I am very (very very) blessed that I don't fall into depression that often.

If I can't figure something out on one WIP, I think about it while working on something else.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, it doesn't exist. One gets stumped on how to do something, or gets bored/loses interest. The first just means you have to do some hard brainstorming/researching/asking advice. The second means the story's gone off-kilter and you need to find where. Both of which just mean buckling down and sweating a bit.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does it exist? I think so. Sometimes writing comes easy, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes there's an identifiable (or at least a likely) reason, and sometimes there's not.

Can you train yourself to work through it? I think so. Learning how to keep writing through periods of low enthusiasm is a skill I have only recently begun to develop, but at the same time I'm also learning how to stop beating myself up when I look at my computer for 15 minutes and decide there's other things I'd rather do.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's a matter of semantics, and this board gets heated about it.

I believe it exists. But I don't believe it's an excuse. Sometimes we feel blocked in our writing. We don't know what will happen next, feels like you're hitting your head against the wall. But you fight it, and you solve the problem and carry on. To me Writer's Block is nothing more than when you are having a really hard time solving a problem. It doesn't prevent a person from solving it, however.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Personally, i don't like the term Writer's Block. It's all encompassing and mostly useless. The majority of the time, i think the term is used to express a loss of motivation/desire.

That being said, however, i think that loss of motivation comes in many forms and can very much block our creative outlets. Perhaps it's external pressures (anxiety over making a living, relationship issues, etc), fatigue (mental, physical or emotional), disillusionment (realization that we're not as skilled as we thought we were; realization that the publishing industry works much differently to how we thought; too much rejection--whatever 'too much' is depends on the individual; other), internal pressures (am i good enough; why aren't i good enough; why is everybody else getting published but i'm not), or just having difficulty with a story (i'm a third of the way in and i'm struggling to continue; this plot/character issue is way too hard for me to resolve; this works far better in my head than on paper). And there's plenty of others i'm missing.

Thing is, each person works differently. Some of the above factors may serve as extra motivation for one person, but really kill the motivation of another. But if, when going through a rough writing patch, we can isolate the thing holding us back we're two-thirds of the way towards beating it. And even if we can't, going through the process more often than not helps.

That's why i think encompassing everything under the term 'Writer's Block' is a bad thing. Two reasons. 1) it makes it an easy way to get out of putting the effort in to overcome the issue--even if only subconsciously. 'Damn it, i've got Writer's Block. Oh well, guess i'll just have to wait for it to leave.' 2) it can mean we waste a lot of effort and energy blindly fighting a monster that's way too huge for us, which will likely create other issues to add to the ones we're already facing.

Of course, some of the things that block us do take time to work around. Often, difficulty with story issues require time to be spent away from the story to give us the objectivity to resolve them. And some things may never completely resolve. Depression sufferers may find there's certain times when they struggle to write, no matter their intentions.

But if we do our best to understand the things that do and might hamper our motivation, then we can work at putting plans in place to deal with them when they arise. Sometimes those plans aren't successful immediately, but in the meantime we're training ourselves to analyse and troubleshoot problems, which can only be helpful in the long term.

My half a penny.

Last edited:

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
My opinion is that it doesn't exist. There are a bazillion reasons people don't or cant' write, but writer's block makes about as much sense as sculptor's block, or perhaps accountant's block.

I suspect self-doubt, lack of enthusiasm, or realizing how daunting a project is are major factors in not being able to write.
Isn't not being able to write known as writer's block, whatever the causal factors? It just seems as though you're contradicting yourself, on the one hand saying you don't believe in it, then identifying what you suspect are causal factors.

I'm unwilling to enter into this discussion unless I'm well-armed. It's pretty divisive.
Sure. Not trying to drag you into it.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
I used to think it didn't exist--until 9/11 happened. I wanted to write "fluffy" romances back then and it just seemed such a stupid waste of time after all those people lost their lives. For weeks I would try to write something, anything meaningful. The true sensation of having this mental/emotional/spiritual/artistic block was very painful and sat on my chest like an anvil.

Before that, I would have said that writer's block was just a way of giving up.

What worked for me was reading a story called "Jack's House" by Milli Thornton in her book "Fear of Writing." For whatever reason, it gave me my purpose back and I could write again. Maybe it was the right story at the right time for me.

I suggest instead of trying to plot, you try to rediscover your purpose for writing this book. Was it to explore something you were passionate about?

HTH and best of luck!

Warmly,
Jenny:)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Isn't not being able to write known as writer's block, whatever the causal factors? It just seems as though you're contradicting yourself, on the one hand saying you don't believe in it, then identifying what you suspect are causal factors.
I'm not Maryn, and my opinion may differ completely from hers, but here's my take:

When you go to a doctor and say, 'I'm sick,' what does he do? Doesn't he ask for symptoms so he can attempt to figure out what's wrong--or what sort of 'sick' you are? Sick is an all encompassing term that could stretch all the way from physical to mental. And because of that it's not an especially useful term for the doctor or for you, the sick person.

That's how i feel about the term Writer's Block. People often use it to refer to a condition of not being able to write. However, i don't think the condition 'Writer's Block' actually exists, just like the sickness 'Sick' doesn't actually exist. Both are just casual descriptions of what could be any number of things. And it's because of the vagueness of the term that i feel it's detrimental for writers to fall back on it if they're having trouble writing.

Yeah, as a term 'sick' can be useful. If i'm going through a rough patch healthwise and i don't feel like detailing the specifics to people i'll often say, 'I've been sick/I haven't been very well.' And i guess 'Writer's Block' could be used the same way. But that's about as far as its usefulness goes, imo.

Last edited:

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of see both sides.

When I was writing uni papers, I didn't have time to get writer's block. Some essays were incredibly hard work, not because the research was hard, but because I simply didn't like what I'd written, and couldn't think of anything better. But when push came to shove, it had a due date, and I'd have to hand in whatever I'd written, even if it was trash. So I'd have to push through.

With my book however, I don't hate a due date. And so some days, I don't write. And the longer you leave it, the more out of the zone you get, and the harder it is to get back in.

So, I'd say power through it. If you're stuck on a particular scene, write a different one. If you're stuck with regards to who the killer is or how the end will work, write some back stories to the characters. Do SOMETHING constructive, but whatever you do, don't stop.

What my mum said about essay writing still rings true for me, regardless of what I'm writing:

It's way easier to edit something you've written that isn't that good, than it is to try and hand in a blank page.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah I can see both sides, too.

If you don't suffer from it, it doesn't exist (and therefore can't exist for anyone else).

On the other hand, if you suffer from it, it's a total pain in the butt.

-Derek

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah I can see both sides, too.

If you don't suffer from it, it doesn't exist (and therefore can't exist for anyone else).

On the other hand, if you suffer from it, it's a total pain in the butt.

-Derek

This is why I said what I said in Post #2

everybody is going to give you a different answer.

It's a matter of perspective

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
This is why I said what I said in Post #2
You're ahead of your time, Kevin.

I don't know if it exists or doesn't. For me, I pretend it doesn't and write on.

ANinfinity

I'm plenty of fish in the sea
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's semantics. A few people have been saying that writer's block is really just a lack of enthusiasm or maybe depression, but writer's block is an inability to formulate acceptable ideas or to express them. Those things can cause you to be unable to do that and therefore they ARE writer's block.

But then someone else might define it differently. I believe it can exist but the reasons for it differe with each person. I burn out quickly so I need to take some breaks and do something mindless before coming back and racking my brain. I rarely let myself feel like I am lacking ideas or what not. I tell myself that they will come to me when they are meant to come to me - or when when my brain finally expresses its idea in a manner that the rest of me can understand.

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
Some really good answers here.

In saying that, I'm starting to think that Writer's Block is the euphemism that we use when we realise that a) the story's going nowhere, and b) the story's taken so much time to get this far that I'm just going to finish the damned thing whether it gets published or not anyway.

We've all read books where where the ending comes out of nowhere. Sometimes we thrill to those endings. Sometimes we find ourself buying another James Patterson and thinking, you ba...er, baloney!

So, my problem is trying to surprise myself. If I can do that, the reader will tag along.

But if I can't?

I'll just stick with the day job.:roll:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I think the condition exists but I dislike the term "writer's block" only because of the negative connotation it seems to have developed. Not to mention how so many people seem to rely on it as an excuse to why they won't finish something, instead of seeing ways around it.

I used to think I suffered from "writer's block" and discovered, like ANinfinity touches on, that it's less this huge tree that has fallen across my path (block to forward motion), and more along the lines of vines have tangled my feet (impediment to movement in general).

Then I hit upon a technique that is guaranteed to move me past "writer's block" every time without fail and I no longer suffer from blocks and have a tool that untangles my feet.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
i don't believe in writer's block in the sense of not being able to get anything down on paper. of course you can. any reasonably well trained monkey can, really.

but i certainly go through stretches where i feel it's all crapola. the thing is pushing through those stretches, continuing to show up at the page despite them. and often, at the end of one of those long stretches, lo and behold, it's NOT all crapola. 99.9% of it is, but not infrequently there's a gem inside all the crap.

RandomJerk

Jerk.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnnynull.com
While I agree with a lot of the above, to me it's similar to evolution. It's a term that is used for what is observed. It does happen and, "writer's block" is how it's described. In my experience, it tends to come from lack of focus or commitment. But that's not always the case, and not for everyone.

whacko

Registered
Reaction score
Is writer's block Nature's way of letting you down gently?

That was possibly a rhetorical question as I've just remembered that Stevie King binned his first draft of Christine. If Mrs. King hadn't rescued it, pop culture would have been so different. She wouldn't have made that tv show with the Scarecrow for a start.

Or am I getting muxed-ip again?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea this concept was so controversial in here. I've always thought of "writer's block" as a blanket term to mean "I'm having trouble writing for x reason." Which happens to all of us from time to time.

I do think people can sometimes use it as an excuse for continuing not to write or even try, like it's a disease or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.