standard procedure?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of special agents with the Secret Service investigating a month old crime scene on public property in a park, looking for potential stuff the locals would not have known to look for. The agents are also in a secret division investigating potential threats to national security. They carry ID, but not always weapons, and dress in plain clothes, not suits. Seeing as the stuff they investigate is classified, they don't generally announce to the local cops who they are or what they are doing unless it's something for which they expect to have break out the firearms or commandier local equipment or manpower. It's a need to know basis, and usually the locals don't need to know.

Does it seem reasonable that they try to remain secret even from the local cops?

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I can't imagine why they would identify themselve to anyone who didn't really need to know.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But I can't see them taking it to ridiculous extremes. If the local police found them poking around the old crime scene and started to question them, they'd either give the cops a standard cover story, or 'fess up and be on about their business. Not keeping quiet or taking the 'fifth' just to antagonize the police and make themselves feel all mysterious.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Within the last year or so therre was a case where state and federal agents were working underground on a drug case. Each set thought the other were criminals. on the day when the deal was to happen, they all tried to arrest each other.

Which is to say that they may let it go further than it should have gone.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'm taking it to an extreme, but thanks for the replies. It sounds like I'm on a believable track.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, George. I used to work for USSS. Your scenario sounds plausible. If the locals approached, the feds most likely just flash the badge, mumble something about DHS and if/when the cops persisted, tell them it's classified (or something like that). :)

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
No need to ID. (But they do need to be packing, unless you've got some seriously great reason for them not to be.)

If the crime scene is secure, the locals need to know, of course. If it's not secured, well it ain't much of a crime scene anymore--on an unsecured crime scene, one can't say that item x was or wasn't there upon first response to the scene. ('Course that's moot if your scene inquiry is regarding something fixed, such as how far from that tre to the lamppost, etc.)

You've probably ensured that the crime your guys are investigating is one the USSS would work on...they've a very narrow scope...still Treasury dudes ((and protection details)) at heart.)

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, there's no "need" (requirement) to ID, but it's the easiest/fastest way to get the locals to shove off. They're more likely to hang around if they think you're a bunch of nutjobs gathering in the park, hanging out with no purpose, looking shady, etc. ;)

Been there, done that...