Writing experience, does this count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrsnetpro

Registered
Reaction score
I have written and been paid for technical papers, does that technically count as being published? I am not writing a book on databases, analytical engines, software or data storage, but they are classified as non-fiction which is what my book is going to be.

Thanks.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Any writing experience will help some, but you'll need to sell its relevance in your proposal.

I had never written a full-length book when I got my first book contract. I did have extensive experience in writing short works in the field, editing (both engineering papers and books in the content-area of my contract). I also had experience as a editorial assistant, managing and editing the submissions of a multi-author textbook and preparing the book for publication. My publisher wanted to see writing samples that consisted of the short works I'd written, rather than requiring a chapter of the proposed book.

I think that my experience writing short works in my subject area and editing and preparing large works of any type convinced them that I could write reasonably well and that I could finish a book-length work.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Most things count... when they count. I would mention technical writing when querying a non-fiction book in a technical or scientific area.

Status
Not open for further replies.