Status
Not open for further replies.

WCP

bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I deleted my question because I posted it in another area and got an answer, but I don't know how to delete this post. No one had answered yet, anywho.

So I am just going to say...

Non-fiction writing is so much easier on the brain that fiction writing!

Does anyone write both non-fiction and fiction both?

Fiction writing can be headache inducing compared to just researching and not coming up with plot twists, hooks, etc.

If no one responds to this post, I will probably change the post again. :)

Last edited:

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Boy, I dunno. I'd be careful about saying one is harder or easier than the other. Both are incredibly different skill sets, and require completely different ways of thinking about and organizing information. Both are work.

For example, I consider fiction writing incredibly difficult, largely because I'm not a good plotter. I mean, forget a plot twist, I'd be happy just to be able to plot. Yet, I have a pal who practically bleeds plot -- he can be inspired by a turn of phrase, a piece of music, or a broken piece of machinery. To him, fiction is "easy" (in the sense that any writing is easy), and non-fiction is like writing a term paper. He'd rather submit to waterboarding than have to do that sort of research and writing.

But let me turn it around now and talk about plotting in a different way, so you can see why some fiction writers might argue that fiction is "easier on the brain" than non-fiction: in fiction, you're creating a world and plots and characters and dialogue -- that's hard work, but ultimately, you control the reality, it doesn't control you -- and that can be very liberating. In non-fiction, though, you don't have the luxury of getting your "main character" out of a jam creatively. The world can't become the way you want it, the ending can't conform to your idea of a "good ending". You have to live within the confines of What Really Happened, which can sometimes be a bitch.

For example, if I'm writing about Alexander Hamilton, I HAVE to have him killed in a duel. Even if it would be cooler to have him somehow survive -- or have him die in a sword fight instead -- I can't do that. George Washington can't use a landspeeder, and the Beatles have to break up, no matter how much I might want things to come out differently.

Now, to me, that makes it easier than fiction simply because I don't have to plot it -- yet, a fiction writer might be tearing her hair out because she's being confined to the unbreakable structure of the real-life plot. For a fiction writer, that can be the equivalent of a straight jacket. Creating the world would be far more preferable -- and, to her, probably "easier on the brain." But that's why that's her talent.

Writing non-fiction and fiction require different kinds of super powers. I once joked that I'm not a Good Plotter, I'm a Good Explainer. To me, non-fiction IS easier than fiction -- but that's because I can't do what fiction writers do. But some of my fiction-writing friends are the other way around. They think non-fiction would be impossible (or, at the very least, unenjoyable) to write.

We all have different skills and super powers.

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeah, I agree with you...very insightful post.

Now I totally want to see a story with George Washington on a landspeeder! lol

In fiction, for me, the unending possibilities of what to write is always fun, but can be a burden. I always add too much crazy stuff to my stories.

When I switched to non-fiction, it was a relief, because it limited me. I Couldn't go crazy doing whatever I wanted. It gave me a framework to contain myself, which I needed.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I posted a similar sentiment here on AW a few years back, and one of the comments I received was that the idea that writing nonfiction was easier than fiction was "absurd." You know, I still disagree with that person.

Personally, yeah, I do find writing nonfiction to be easier than fiction.

For me, at least. My books have all been regional history. My first book, especially, was research-intensive. I spent many months compiling the research and using the approporiate material to support my main topic. Obviously I expanded on the material as I wrote, but the base matter all came from research. It took a long time, but I built a manuscript from it.

More recently, I wrote a novel, starting in 2006. I do find writing fiction to be a lot more challenging because you have character, plot, POV, dialog, rising tension, climaxes, denoument, and on and on and on. Many beginning writers think they can just "dash off a book" in a few months, find a publisher, and now they're authors. These usually end up in the vanity press market, and when you find one of these books, they're usually poorly written.

It takes skill, practice, time and tons of work to write a publishable novel. And even more skill and luck to actually get it published by a real publisher that distributes to bookstore shelves.

Nonfiction, however, is totally different. It takes a different kind of expertise to write nonfiction, but--in my opinion--it is easier than fiction, not only in writing, but in publishing for reasons you are already aware.

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeah - if you are writing non-fiction, the plot, the characters, and other aspects have already been taken care of for you.

I had to write my NF book very fast because of a deadline. There is no way I could have done that if it wasn't NF. Even if I weren't an expert in the subject, I'm sure I could have done a passable job. But that is also because I enjoy research.

Also, I didn't have to pick apart my sentences for certain stylistic choices, which I would do for fiction. I was more concerned with getting the facts across to the reader.

Because of the nature of my book, each fact or joke could be standalone. And didn't have to connect to a plot or flow. So I could write something and then move on, without worrying about how it fit into the big picture.

yogapoet74

Registered
Reaction score
And then there's us poets...I'm making the foray into nonfiction and keep thinking, "Geez, poetry is so much easier to write than nonfiction..." :)

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
While I agree non-fiction can be easier to write, the assumption that plot etc. is already taken care of isn't necessarily correct.

In my work I'm either presented with or gather information and my job is to figure out what the story is. I have to give it a beginning, a middle and an end, even if unresolved to make it of interest to my readers. I have to take into account the perception of those involved that may see common events differently. I am bound by fact but have to find a narrative.

It's not the same as writing fiction, but I do have to employ many of the elements that fiction writers use. I find it challenging and creative.

I realize not all non-fiction requires this kind of writing, but most good non-fiction writers do have to use some elements of storytelling.

It is easier for me than writing fiction, but it's not simple.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... for me it is the opposite. I am lousy at organizing so nonfiction is harder for me. I'm gradually improving. Maybe if I had been doing it as long it would easier. I think what it comes down to is where your ability lies. So fiction or nonfiction aren't easier than one another in and of themselves. It depends on the individual.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find non-fiction easier for me for a number of reasons. One, I went through an insane amount of schooling to get an advanced degree in the natural sciences. Today my employer rates my performance based on the number and quality of the scholarly articles I write based on my research projects. I knew I wanted to be a scientist before I knew I wanted to be a writer. My mind is therefore trained to think in a non-fiction manner, presenting facts in accurate detail in a way that doesn't always translate well in fiction. The precision required in scholarly writing makes for boring fiction, and I have had to unlearn many of the skills I learned in grad school.

Of course, everyone is different; there are people for whom fiction comes easy who couldn't describe something as simple as why baking soda and vinegar foam when mixed. (I'm hoping) that what makes my writing special is being able to mix the non-fic and fic elements in a way that presents something new to the reader.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - if you are writing non-fiction, the plot, the characters, and other aspects have already been taken care of for you.

I had to write my NF book very fast because of a deadline. There is no way I could have done that if it wasn't NF. Even if I weren't an expert in the subject, I'm sure I could have done a passable job. But that is also because I enjoy research.

Also, I didn't have to pick apart my sentences for certain stylistic choices, which I would do for fiction. I was more concerned with getting the facts across to the reader.

Because of the nature of my book, each fact or joke could be standalone. And didn't have to connect to a plot or flow. So I could write something and then move on, without worrying about how it fit into the big picture.

I agree with your first paragraph, although the type of non-fiction writing I do (knitting reference books), I have to be both inventive (to figure out what to include) and then excruciatingly selective (to cut it down to the required number of words). And then I have to design and knit the illustrations for photography, which involves aesthetic choices of color, fiber, pattern and shaping that frequently have nothing to do with the point to be illustrated, but are critical to the success of the book.

I do take exception to your third paragraph. I spend hours working on style and voice, to keep my books from sounding like textbooks. It's almost impossible not to sound didactic and to engage the interest of the reader when you're telling them what to do, step by step.

In answer to the original post, I have several partly-written novels. Coming up with plots and characters really isn't a problem, and I've gradually gotten to the point where I can write dialog. Coming up with interesting plots and characters is something else altogether. I am convinced I'll never be a novelist.

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
And then there's us poets...I'm making the foray into nonfiction and keep thinking, "Geez, poetry is so much easier to write than nonfiction..." :)

I can only write a poem
when i've been drinking from my jeroboam

(a large wine bottle, holds 4/5 of a gallon)

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
While I agree non-fiction can be easier to write, the assumption that plot etc. is already taken care of isn't necessarily correct.

In my work I'm either presented with or gather information and my job is to figure out what the story is. I have to give it a beginning, a middle and an end, even if unresolved to make it of interest to my readers. I have to take into account the perception of those involved that may see common events differently. I am bound by fact but have to find a narrative.

It's not the same as writing fiction, but I do have to employ many of the elements that fiction writers use. I find it challenging and creative.

I realize not all non-fiction requires this kind of writing, but most good non-fiction writers do have to use some elements of storytelling.

It is easier for me than writing fiction, but it's not simple.

point taken

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
... for me it is the opposite. I am lousy at organizing so nonfiction is harder for me. I'm gradually improving. Maybe if I had been doing it as long it would easier. I think what it comes down to is where your ability lies. So fiction or nonfiction aren't easier than one another in and of themselves. It depends on the individual.

but do you think it would be easier to master nonfiction or fiction?

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I find non-fiction easier for me for a number of reasons. One, I went through an insane amount of schooling to get an advanced degree in the natural sciences. Today my employer rates my performance based on the number and quality of the scholarly articles I write based on my research projects. I knew I wanted to be a scientist before I knew I wanted to be a writer. My mind is therefore trained to think in a non-fiction manner, presenting facts in accurate detail in a way that doesn't always translate well in fiction. The precision required in scholarly writing makes for boring fiction, and I have had to unlearn many of the skills I learned in grad school.

Of course, everyone is different; there are people for whom fiction comes easy who couldn't describe something as simple as why baking soda and vinegar foam when mixed. (I'm hoping) that what makes my writing special is being able to mix the non-fic and fic elements in a way that presents something new to the reader.

yeah i had a lot of school too, maybe that helped me in non-fic, because it was like writing reports, etc.

mixing non-fic and fic i enjoy - like neal stephenson or michael crichton, tom clancy,

I agree with your first paragraph, although the type of non-fiction writing I do (knitting reference books), I have to be both inventive (to figure out what to include) and then excruciatingly selective (to cut it down to the required number of words). And then I have to design and knit the illustrations for photography, which involves aesthetic choices of color, fiber, pattern and shaping that frequently have nothing to do with the point to be illustrated, but are critical to the success of the book.

I do take exception to your third paragraph. I spend hours working on style and voice, to keep my books from sounding like textbooks. It's almost impossible not to sound didactic and to engage the interest of the reader when you're telling them what to do, step by step.

In answer to the original post, I have several partly-written novels. Coming up with plots and characters really isn't a problem, and I've gradually gotten to the point where I can write dialog. Coming up with interesting plots and characters is something else altogether. I am convinced I'll never be a novelist.

I see what you mean. If there were no artistic choices involved in writing non-fic, anyone would be able to do it.

Last edited:

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently doing a PhD thesis and also working on a novel, so I guess I'm doing both.

Each has its own difficulties for sure. I just find that for some reason I don't get writer's block with non-fiction. All I need is a clear, sober head and neatly organised material. This is why I work on the thesis in the mornings, until late afternoons. Fiction takes over in the evening up until midnight. That's when inspiration strikes.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.