• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[ePub] Diversion Books (Scott Waxman)

hsavage

Registered
Reaction score
I run a book review blog and received a novel from this publisher. Curious, because I'm in the submissions process myself, I wanted to check them out. Since there hasn't been an update in a while, I wanted to see how people are doing with this publisher? Also, in their publishing guidelines it doesn't say that they don't accept unagented submissions. It says they cannot guarantee a response to unagented submissions. They still accept them though. Here's a copy/paste from the site.

What is the process for submitting my project to Diversion? Book proposals are submitted to us by email. Due to the volume of submissions, the editors at Diversion cannot guarantee a response on unagented submissions. For projects we are interested in considering for publication, we will be in touch within two weeks. Romance, Women’s Fiction, YA: Mary Cummings - [email protected]

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Business, General Interest Non-fiction: Laura Duane - [email protected]Mystery/Suspense/Thriller, Sports, True Crime: Randall Klein - [email protected]Note: Please send any unagented original submissions to Randall Klein - [email protected].

jkeene

Registered
Reaction score
I ran across them today. I'm glad they are open again but the wording suggests agented submissions get a faster look -- which makes sense.

kaw2019

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any updates on this publisher? Or specifically their imprint Everafter Romance? I see active books on Amazon etc. by authors I recognize but can't find details on submission for Everafter. Thanks!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
From what I understand, Everafter, and all their other fiction imprints, are closing down; in future, they're evidently only going to publish non-fiction. A lot of romance writers are struggling with getting their royalties from the last several months and to have their rights reverted.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
They've stopped acquiring YA, or putting any marketing effort into their YA titles, so my debut is pretty much lost in the shuffle now. It's very disheartening.

I too have had difficulty getting royalties, and my agent has been on them for months with no results. We've had odd royalty statements too, things that didn't make sense. It's a bummer.

DMcCunney

Registered
Reaction score
I think Wylie ended up getting spanked by Random House, but that was just my take on it.

If I recall correctly, Wylie was known as "the Jackal" in some segments of the industry, with a rep for playing hardball. But if this is the case I recall, "getting spanked" is inaccurate.

The contracts for the disputed titles had been written back before eBooks were a gleam in anyone's eye. They covered print rights, but not electronic rights. Wylie felt he was in his rights to set up an electronic publishing imprint and publish the titles himself. Random House disagreed, but they didn't have the electronic rights per contract.

The solution once the dust settled was for Random House and Wylie to agree on a settlement, and for Random House to publish the electronic editions as well as the print titles, with separate contracts (or addendums to the existing contracts) for them.

It's a pretty good bet that playing chicken with Random House got the authors (or author's estates) he represented a better deal than might have occurred otherwise.

Because they were established backlist titles with perceived value that Random House was willing to sue over, Wylie probably assumed that if Random House had blinked, he could successfully publish the titles under his own imprint, generate sales, and make money for his clients and himself. (I think he was right in that assumption, if so.)

Nowadays, electronic rights will be part of any new book contract, and this loophole won't exist, but it was fun for a while.
______
Dennis