• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writing Dialogue for a Deaf Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Writing has always been my passion since I was a little girl. It has given me infinite worlds to explore. It has also been the place where I can explore and resolve internal issues, things I couldn't figure out for myself, unless I wrote them out, tried to stick them into a story. It has been very therapeutic.

What most people here don't know is that one of my children, my second daughter, is profoundly hard of hearing. Don't send your condolences; she is a beautiful, intelligent, independent eighteen year old, of whom I am very proud. Okay, she's a little scary at times; teenagers are a handful, deaf or not, and she's my hot-tempered child. She keeps life exciting around here.

Many, many, MANY times, I have tried to write a deaf character, as an exercise, as an exploration so that I can understand her world a little better. Of course, you know how that turns out: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think I've got a handle on how to describe how she experiences the world, her coping mechanisms, that sort of thing.

So far, this has been experimental on my part, a writing exercise as well as a way to understand my child better. Now I've come to a place where I would like to use a deaf character in one of my professional stories. It's not motivated by anything PC. It's because a deaf character would be the best choice for this particular story.

My daughter is an oral communicator, and reads lips very well. But she knows and uses sign as well, as do the rest of the family. I'm personally best at SEE (Signed Exact English) and Pidgin (sort of an idiosyncratic, shorthanded SEE), but I can understand ASL when she speaks it.

For those of you who don't know, ASL has a similar vocabulary, but a very VERY different grammar and syntax than SEE or spoken English.

For example: In English (or in SEE), I would say, "Tomorrow I'm going to town because I need to buy milk and eggs, and I need to stop at the bank to get some cash."

In Pidgin, that sentence would become, "Tomorrow Me go town, need get milk, eggs, need money, go bank."

In ASL, that same sentence becomes, "me town future, milk, eggs store, cash bank" or something similar (I struggle with ASL grammar, which is why I stick to Pidgin or SEE). it sounds simplistic, almost mentally deficient, but the written word can't really depict the richness of the language, how facial expressions, body posture, and exaggeration of the signs add layers and layers of meaning.

So how would I write the dialogue for that deaf character? Would I transliterate the ASL? That might confuse my reader; heck, it confuses me sometimes, and I deal with it on a daily basis. But it would be the most accurate.

Would I write the dialogue out in normal English grammar, but italicize them or mark them somehow, to show that they're not being spoken out loud? Add, "she signed," instead of "she said"? It's so much less accurate, but much more understandable to the reader.

Maybe there's another option that I haven't thought of?

Advice?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've seen it done both ways. Using ASL grammar means it's authentic and will ring true to people who speak ASL. However, to people who don't, it can make the character appear distant and difficult to understand. There isn't a right or wrong answer.

I know as a reader, I'll struggle if there's a lot of discussion and it's written in ASL or BSL grammar. If it's a small amount, I won't think anything of it.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I might have more basic conversations in regular grammar, or else "Sue signed that she was leaving." But when it came to really important stuff, you could use not only the grammar but the descriptions of the way the signs work as a way to add richness to the story. "She made a sweep with her right hand. (in italics)Go. Another with her left. (in italics)Now." Of course, I have no clue what the signs are for those words, so that's not at all an accurate example, but I hope you get the sense of what I'm suggesting.

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that if you wrote it using ASL grammar - "me town future, milk, eggs store, cash bank" - non-ASL-using readers would assume the woman is mentally deficient.

If you do use this grammatical structure, you'd better explain it in the book somewhere. And I would definitely say 'she signed' instead of 'she said.' Make sense to me.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
In some instances, I can see descriptions of signing and another character's internal understanding of it taking the place of dialoging the signs. In others, I'd use "she signed" instead of "she said" and relay it with full English grammar.

Here's why: As you noted, ASL is its own language. If we relay a German-speaking character's words in English, we don't translate it word for word. We present it for best effect in English. Treat ASL as you would any other foreign language. As Polenth said, however, you might want to include small doses of literal translations. My guess is, as you write, you'll develop a sense of when you want to do this.

Regarding use of italics, it depends. The following is my opinion: If this character is oral and signs, then just use quotation marks. The suggestion there being she's also speaking as she signs. For those times when she only signs, use italics to emphasize that.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I second the previous message. Early on in the story I would have something like:

"I'm going to town tomorrow," she signed, "I need to get eggs, milk..."
Her precise signs were "town go future", I wondered what someone might make of that if they did not have my experienced understanding of ASL.

Or you know, something better written ;) Then go on using proper spoken English language knowing that people understand that her words are not quite the same and that there is some interpretation. Then it leaves you free to use ASL grammar and a more detailed description of her expressions and emphasis of her movements for effect.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I agree that the characters should speak without using the ASL language format. Otherwise, it will come across as confusing to those who do not know American Sign Language.

I would think you could show her signing through action, or as a tag (as noted in Namatu's post). If you establish the character as deaf, show her signing, then the reader will get it.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you writer that char's dialogue in standard english italics without quotation marks, I think it makes it stand out really nicely. So it's really clear what's being said, but you also have the reminder that it's being said in a different way. Like you said, with ASL there could be four different things being expressed while signing a single word, and you won't be able to show (or tell) that.

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
I like Brooklyn's idea - using pretty standard English so as to keep the story accessible to readers, yet incorporating descriptive phrases when the form of the message (i.e. the gesturing) becomes saliently noticeable. I think italics would work fine as a general marker. It might be worth thinking about whether there is some minor grammatical characteristic of ASL that you could incorporate into your use of English to give it some extra flavor - but not so much that you'd be affecting the readability of the language or somehow giving readers the unintentional impression that the speaker was uneducated.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
How much dialogue will the character have?

If it's a very secondary character, you could describe some of the motions for interest before translating them, because you're not going to have it very often and it will give the reader a sense of the length of time needed for this person to reply. Do you know what I mean? Not that the character is terribly slow, but we as readers get that pause along with the MC.

You may want to do that the first few times anyway. It's not the same thing, but I wrote a character once who had, essentially total mushmouth. To demonstrate what he actually sounded like, I wrote his first line of dialogue phonetically "It was something like, "No! bring it back!" that was easy to understand, so the reader could "hear" what he sounded like in their heads. The rest of the dialogue was written normally. I think with one line I put the phonetic sound in italics after the line, so it read:

"He never told me anything like that." He nebbertalma afingli at.

If the character has a lot of dialogue I'd probably still do that in his or her first scene, and then use "signed" after that. Once you have that firmly established in the reader's mind (after the first scene, and maybe an occasional refresher) you can eliminate the tag. They'll understand this character signs all of his or her dialogue.

It sounds like a great project, and your daughter sounds like a great person. :) (That's not sympathy or condolences, it's just a comment.)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
It may work if you use the literal translation from SEE in the beginning, then as your character becomes more familiar with the language, begin translating it to spoken English.

This would put the emphasis on the hearing character, showing how she learns the new language, not the hearing impaired person, who speaks perfectly well in SEE.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I don't think there's any reason to transliterate instead of just translate into English. As you yourself pointed out, a lot of the meaning in ASL comes from subtleties in expression and style of signing, and there's no way to get that on paper without it being really confusing to the English reader. And, as Namatu said, ASL is a completely different language, so you might as well translate it the way you'd translate any other language.

I like the suggestion of putting the sentences in italics and saying "she signed." That's how it was done in a really excellent narrative nonfiction book I read, Train Go Sorry by Leah Hager Cohen. I was never confused by it.

Fallen Angel

Banned
Reaction score
Writing has always been my passion since I was a little girl. It has given me infinite worlds to explore. It has also been the place where I can explore and resolve internal issues, things I couldn't figure out for myself, unless I wrote them out, tried to stick them into a story. It has been very therapeutic.

Advice?

Use Carrots or Brackets around her 'spoken word'? (And yes, Id' guess you'd be using the pronoun 'signed' instead of 'said'. Try using synonyms of 'signed' instead of the normal words for 'said'.)

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I've seen a book--think it was a Harlequin Bombshell--where the main character was deaf. The author used a normally grammatical structure for the actual dialogue, and then had "she signed" for the the tag. She didn't always use the signed tag; more often it was said. The dialogue was italicized.

Since it was done from the deaf character's viewpoint, we didn't get the facial expressions I've seen (we have at least three deaf people in my department at work, and it's common to see a sign language conversation going on at lunch). I've seen the translators signing, and there are a lot of facial expressions that are part of the conversation--something we don't see when people can speak and hear. At one time, I took a class on ASL, and they described a fight two deaf people had--the woman kept slapping at the guy's hands. I also saw deaf singing, which was very beatiful and graceful.

On showing the texture and facial expressions, that's going to be tough--but doable. I think it's one of those things where it should be done in small quantities, for the places where it's important. Just like I wouldn't describe in every line of dialogue a man who can't talk without using his hands. But if there was an important emotion or point to highlight, that would be prime territory.

This link goes to a list of authors who have used deaf characters. It might be worth exploring to see how they approached it.

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
How about --- as her mother watched with a sweep of her hand her name begin to sign. With her swift fingers she spoke, "Mom, I want to go out with my friends." Or something like that.
In my book I have my daughter who cannot speak, talk through her thoughts which are underlined.
Good luck with your book. Special kids are precious people.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Write it as though your deaf daughter were going to read it. Get her opinion.

(One can't assume one's children will read everything we write. I have two daughters: one edits me; the other has barely read a word I've written.)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There's a deaf character in my novel TPB. Since it was written from the POV of a non-deaf person, I just structured the dialogue that way... like regular English. I think it depends on your narrative voice. More important, you have to keep the readers in mind. Most of your readers are probably not deaf and can't understand ASL grammar, so to them, it would sound really odd. Instead, you can simply write

X signed, "I need to go to town and get some milk and eggs."

It's the same technique used to write translated dialogue, if the speaker is speaking a foreign language. Instead of doing verbatim grammar translation (which would sound really odd), you must do the translation to regular English. For example, the grammar in Chinese is very different than that in English, and if I don't translate it correctly, it would sound really bad: "I go town buy milk and egg." (what, is the speaker a caveman?)

Last edited:

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
One of my earlier stories had a deaf character. I can't remember why I created a deaf character, but I do know I chose to use one before writing his backstory. I used a combination of describing his signs and writing italicized dialog. That said, he only became deaf rather recently, so his speech was much better than that of someone who is deaf from birth.

I'd recommend using a combination of methods to write his dialog. Use whatever fits best at the time. Sometimes the signs give a dramatically better picture of what is happening in the scene. Other times it's better to describe the dialog.

Also, try reading some books about deaf and mute characters and see how the author handles their dialog. Caroline Lawrence has a children's book series called "The Roman Mysteries" that has a mute boy as one of the main characters. He never speaks, but when he has something to tell, his steals the scene every single time.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I agree with most people here - don't transliterate. Write it as you'd write any other language.

That said, it could vary depending on the PoV used. If the person is fluent in ASL, use fluent English. If they're just learning, they'd probably be far more conscious of their sentence structure, and having the occasional transliterated sentence would make sense - as long as you make clear that's what it is.

I'm writing a book with a deaf MC, as well, so I've had to ponder the same things. Good luck! :)

Philip

Registered
Reaction score
I have had an Idea for the deaf character in my book, I wont be using it as i am not that bold. But ill toss it out there for someone writing a deaf character, within a fantasy world. The character starts with clear restrictions in dialogue, when she is trained in the use of the far more advanced form of Elven sign, the dialogue becomes clear. Would be a fun idea to play with. The idea is this human character has dexterity that rivals elves and one of few humans capable of the feat. It would also lend realism to the intence melee She/He is capable of performing.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't post in long dead threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.