The UN preparing for 1st contact! No, really!!

In case of alien contact, who should they be brought to if they ask for our leader?

• Whoever the current US President is? They call him (Or possible her) the leader of the free world.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • The current head of the UN.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • A person appointed by the UN, preferably someone who does not run around in Spock ears.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Leonard Nimoy. It would be logical.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Orlando Bloom. Because, well... He's Orlando Bloom!!

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ntact-for-aliens/story-e6frfku0-1225929498742

THE United Nations was set today to appoint an obscure Malaysian astrophysicist to act as Earth’s first contact for any aliens that may come visiting.

Mazlan Othman, the head of the UN's little-known Office for Outer
Space Affairs (Unoosa), is to describe her potential new role next week at a scientific conference at the Royal Society’s Kavli conference centre in Buckinghamshire.

She is scheduled to tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before - and that means the UN must be ready to coordinate humanity’s response to any “first contact”.

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law and governance at the UK Space Agency and who leads British delegations to the UN on such matters, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person.”

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I think when you say "they call him the leader of the free world," you mean "we call him" that. I've never heard the term used outside of the US, except in a satirical way. After all, in a 'free' world, we'd vote for our leader, right? So if the US President is in charge of any non-Americans, s/he may be the leader, but the world is not free.

So, yeah, whoever Mazlan is - my vote is for her.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
An astrophysicist? As long as she's got mad diplomatic and linguistic skills, and knows she's not to sign anything.

Or my first choice, Dr. Michio Kaku if you're going with a scientist.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The choice is very important. We'd hate for them to decide there's no intelligent life on the planet. :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
No one's mentioned William Shatner yet?

I'm sure they're already familiar with him, making the point of first contact moot.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score

I'm sure they're already familiar with him, making the point of first contact moot.
but suppose they want to whisk him away?
and for a good old fashioned probing?

oh, right. yah. Shatner's the man.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this a little late?
I thought Richard Dreyfuss already met them. There was even a movie about it.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I have this sneaking suspicion that the aliens will come. Their big ass ship will orbit the earth. They will send their silvery ambassador to visit the leader of the world, and then they will do their best to try to find the right dolphin somewhere off Jamaica.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone but a national leader. It has to be someone who can think of the planet as a whole.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's not difficult t piss of a dolphin. Their reputation as the hippies of the sea is waaaay off.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Why isn't there a "We have no single leader," option?

Because it confuses the aliens. Apparently we're the only planet out there that doesn't consist of a single civilization / culture. They like to point at us and use our ways to scare their children into behaving.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You know Lenny is gonna win that poll.
Yeah but I can just hear him, "I SAID I've retired and I MEAN it. Why don't you go bother Billy."

Didn't he die in one of those films?

Even so, I can hear him "So, where are you guys going when you leave Earth? I ask because no matter where you're going I'm sure I can save you a lot on tickets.
Because it confuses the aliens. Apparently we're the only planet out there that doesn't consist of a single civilization / culture. They like to point at us and use our ways to scare their children into behaving.
I could say something here, but it would be insensitive, and not against the space aliens.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Any contact would be initiated by the aliens, since they'd find us before we found them. An alien nation would probably first make contact with one of the larger and more powerful Earth nations, so I think it'd either by the US, Russian or Chinese leader that would first speak to them.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care, as long as the person we pick isn't political or religious, or a dick.