Can a new writer be published based on a great proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Or do you have to finish the book before enquiring? I've got an idea for a business book. Would I at least need tons of education and experience?

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Certainly, the education and experience helps, but it's pretty much all about a great proposal.

In my experience, a finished nonfiction book is far less likely to sell than a great proposal.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Or do you have to finish the book before enquiring? I've got an idea for a business book. Would I at least need tons of education and experience?

Ideas are cheap. You'd need a few other things, too, including:

---A detailed proposal that includes an outline and sample chapters; a marketing report that analyzes the market for the proposed book and compares yours to possible competitors; promotional plans and "platform;" and a bio that makes it clear why you are the perfect person to write this book. Typically these proposals are at least 20 (single-spaced) pages.

--Relevant experience and a proven track-record in the field you're writing about.

There are some good books out there about how to write non-fiction book proposals.

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
Definately experience in what you are writing about.

Also some very good advice from Barbara.

Good luck x

Katiecakes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twofroghome.com
Barbara has great advice. A well written proposal is key and since I just sold a cookbook based on my proposal, I would have to say that the marketing / promotion portion is key in the current market.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Much depends on the market too. If it's a popular, crowded market (as business often is), you'll need a pretty solid platform (All that stuff that shows that you know your stuff, people perceive you as an expert in the field and you can market yourself).

yogapoet74

Registered
Reaction score
I was once told that I needed something called "platform" which the writer saying this meant that I needed to have (as one without any books published) lots of other credentials going for me, like essays published, much teaching, radio interviews, etc...anyone else heard this sort of thing?

conspicuouschick

that bathroom won't tile itself
Registered
Reaction score
I was once told that I needed something called "platform" which the writer saying this meant that I needed to have (as one without any books published) lots of other credentials going for me, like essays published, much teaching, radio interviews, etc...anyone else heard this sort of thing?

Yes, modern publishing wisdom, as repeated on myriad agent blogs, is the importance of platform. Like everything else, it probably depends on the topic, the author, the agent and publishing house how much emphasis is put on it.

Mrsnetpro

Registered
Reaction score
If I were buying a non fiction book I'd rather buy it from an author that I can relate to regardless of their credentials and I can't imagine that every agent would disagree with that.

I do not have a college degree but after 20 years in IT I have never been excluded from job opportunities even when they say it's required. If you can write on a subject and give people the perception that you are the right person for it who cares about prior experience?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Many debut non-fiction books are acquired based initially on a proposal. Of course a book has to be delivered to seal the deal :)

As for "platform", I dont find the word very useful. The proposal outlines why you think the book will sell.

Last edited:

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Selling a non-fiction book based on a proposal alone happens all the time, actually. I was unpublished, and I did it -- and I was told by both my agent and publisher that my proposal was great, and the sample chapters I submitted sealed the deal.

So to answer your question: no, you don't have to finish the book before you start querying agents. In fact, one of the beautiful things about non-fiction is that you CAN pitch the book before you actually write it, provided you've got a compelling proposal. Part of that proposal, of course, includes platform, so you've got your work cut out for you there, as others have said.

Having said all that, I'd definitely keep poking and prodding and polishing that proposal (including the platform!) Good luck to you!

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I sold two books as complete manuscripts, and the third as a seven page proposal. There was as much enthusiasm for the proposal as for the books, though I must say the first book paved the way for the others and ensured careful consideration

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I sold based on the proposal and have two more in the works. For nonfiction, its all about the proposal package.

siouxnyc

Registered
Reaction score
my agent sold my book based on the proposal, but i approached my agent with a completed MS. we didn't even "break" the news to the publisher that the MS was done until they were already making an offer.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
*raises hand* I sold my book on proposal as an unknown debut author.

What I did have: a timely proposal, a real understanding of my market, a kick-ass sample chapter, an amazing agent, and solid writing experience. Luck factored in as well, I'd say, but there's no reason a debut author can't sell if the idea is strong and the market is there.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Selling a non-fiction book based on a proposal is the norm, also for new writers.
That said, I would recommend doing as much of the legwork as possible, so if a publisher bites, you won't have to pull all-nighters to meet the deadline. Also, it's easier to adjust an existing chapter than to write something from scratch.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Ive been working on a nonfiction proposal for 3 years or so. I have a decent platform and writing experience. I write it send it out, get a few bites and then nothing more. So I revamp and try again. Writing the proposal is as much or more work than the book!

KathrynLang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SnarkyRainbows.com
Non-fiction books are usually sold as proposals. Publishers want a platform (think of this as the different avenues you would be in a position to market your book) that would reach 10,000 buyers at the launch. Developing a sound proposal that has a new voice or says something unique will also help in getting published.

susangpyp

Registered
Reaction score
I acquired my agent with a proposal and then she sold it as a proposal with 2 sample chapters but the editor requested a third (that was finished but my agent and I polished it some more) before buying it.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Someone above said they would rather read a nonfiction book from someone they can relate to as opposed to someone with experience in the topic? Did I read right? That makes absolutley no sense at all.
Id much prefer someone who knows what their talking about.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Someone above said they would rather read a nonfiction book from someone they can relate to as opposed to someone with experience in the topic? Did I read right? That makes absolutley no sense at all.
Id much prefer someone who knows what their talking about.

I agree. The goal is to make a subject the author possesses knowledge of relatable to a large number of readers.

Lia_joy

Registered
Reaction score
Ive been working on a nonfiction proposal for 3 years or so..... Writing the proposal is as much or more work than the book!

:heart: I Love hearing this!! I've been working on my proposal for 2 years. Now that I'm well into chapter 2 it's getting so much easier, but I keep waiting to fall into some unexpected pull-my-hair out challenges. After all this work/time, could it really be finished in 10-12 months (while at home with 3 young kids??) Hard to believe, but I think so ;)
Lol.

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
I agree - the proposals are rough, but I would hope your progress speed increases when the contract comes. Years for a 30 page document doesn't sound good to publishers - get it done and get it out there, you'll be glad you did!

Best

IDGS

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
After all this work/time, could it really be finished in 10-12 months (while at home with 3 young kids??) Hard to believe, but I think so ;)
Lol.

I think so, if you've planned out well the chapters in your proposal. A typical nonfiction book is 70-80,000 words. When I do mine I set my goal as 1,000 words/day. That leaves plenty of time for revising.

Status
Not open for further replies.