submitting straight to the publisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

roostercharmer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm submitting directly to two publishers. I have a couple of questions.

Since both are email-only submissions I'm wondering which font to use. I know Courier is the standard MS font, but since my MS will likely be read on a computer would it be better to use a sans-serif?

One asks for "an email which includes your name, address, telephone number, and a one to three paragraph synopsis of your work, along with the manuscript attached as a Word doc or RTF file." I know a synopsis and query aren't interchangeable, but a 1 to 3 paragraph synopsis seems pretty similar to a query. Also, who would I address the email to, since I don't know the name of the person who reads the slush pile entries?

Thanks for any help.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean which font for your MS? Assuming you're submitting as an RTF or DOC file, I'd go with Courier or Times New Roman - they're the standards, and the readers can always change the font if they prefer something else.

And I think you're right that the 3-paragraph synopsis is essentially asking for a query letter. A lot of on-line publishers are dealing with writing rookies, and I've noticed that some of them have phrased their submission requirements in more descriptive, less jargon-y language. A rookie might not know what goes in a query letter, but surely s/he can understand what a synopsis should be.

Finally - I don't usually address e-mail enquiries to any one person. I mean, there have been times when I have, when I knew that person's name, but if a search of the publisher's website doesn't give the information, I wouldn't worry about it. If they're asking for e-mails, they likely accept that e-mail is a more casual form of communication, and they won't be too worried about the tiny details. (Not saying you should be sloppy, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.