• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Evernight Publishing / Evernight Teen

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I just received an offer from Evernight for my holiday story--about 14k. Very excited to start the process :D

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of e-pubs are romance and erotica...what does this portend (is that the right word? lol) for those of us who do YA scifi or alternative history/fantasy? Or adult versions of those?

(I think of my works as adult, despite some of the main characters being teens or pre-teens. You wouldn't call The Shining a YA/MG because Danny is five years old, would you? The reason I mention it is that some of my critique partners in the past try to insist that an underage mc prevents it from being an adult work)

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com
I've noticed that a lot of e-pubs are romance and erotica...what does this portend (is that the right word? lol) for those of us who do YA scifi or alternative history/fantasy? Or adult versions of those?

(I think of my works as adult, despite some of the main characters being teens or pre-teens. You wouldn't call The Shining a YA/MG because Danny is five years old, would you? The reason I mention it is that some of my critique partners in the past try to insist that an underage mc prevents it from being an adult work)

I don't think they are classified as YA simply because there are young characters in the story. My understanding is it would be classified YA because the main characters are in their teens? The shinning's main characters really were the adults, weren't they? The wife trying to escape her crazy husband? And most definitely the subject matter was nothing like any YA I've ever seen. Plus doesn't the actual story itself sort of drive the classification? NA involves many of our firsts in life, etc...

Last edited:

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
No, there were three main POV characters in the shining, the boy, the wife, and the guy....the wife and guy get the most press because that's who Kubrik's movie focused on. I've read the book a dozen times or more and Danny gets equal billing with his father. I first read the book when I was about 8, so maybe I identified more with the kid, but I've read it as an adult and haven't changed my mind.

My thriller has a 13yo serial killer in it with his POV and the detective chasing him also as a POV.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I was feeling down because so many of the b&bc threads show the e-pubs focusing on romance and erotica...few new start-ups seem to show other genres unless there's also romance there.

Last edited:

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com
No, there were three main POV characters in the shining, the boy, the wife, and the guy....the wife and guy get the most press because that's who Kubrik's movie focused on. I've read the book a dozen times or more and Danny gets equal billing with his father. I first read the book when I was about 8, so maybe I identified more with the kid, but I've read it as an adult and haven't changed my mind.

My thriller has a 13yo serial killer in it with his POV and the detective chasing him also as a POV.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, I was feeling down because so many of the b&bc threads show the e-pubs focusing on romance and erotica...few new start-ups seem to show other genres unless there's also romance there.

I know Evernight does have a Teen line. Not sure if that is helpful?
http://www.evernightpublishing.com/young-adult/

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

There is nothing to feel down about. But rather than hijack the Evernight thread I should probably PM you. lol

EvolvingK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccacroteau.com

I agree with you that the MC's age being within the teens does not automatically classify the work as YA. YA has a very specific tone and packaging generally, and i think your critique partners were not as in the know as they may have thought they were. It's possible that they were seeing something ELSE in the work, but no, there are definitely books with underage MCs that are adult works. (The Shining, Catcher in the Rye, other things that I could think of if my brain were working).

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I could never read Catcher...does that make me a bad person? LOL....

Btw, congrats on the signing.

Morgan Hunter

Creativity...feel it; live it
Registered
Reaction score
Evernight Process??

Congrats to all who have acquired contracts with Evernight.

I submitted well over a month ago and got a reply for an R&R within 2 weeks. Great right? Well I quickly edited it as requested, resubmitted, and now it's been longer than the first time I submitted the manuscript to them. Is this a good sign? Alarming? Should I nudge them? Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

~MH~

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Morgan,

In the words of a wise person, "Who knows?"

Publishing is not a fast business. It moves at the speed it can. Some days, the editors have lots of time for going over submissions. Some days, the editors are up to their arses in alligators dealing with some unforseen problem that "must be dealt with right now", Some days, the editors may be busy getting stuff shipped out for conventions, and so on.

It's tough for authors, especially those on the outside trying to look in to keep patient, but there's only one thing to do once you submit a book to an agent, a publisher, a reviewer . . .

Start working on the next one.

They'll get to it when they get to it.

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Morgan,

In the words of a wise person, "Who knows?"

Publishing is not a fast business. It moves at the speed it can. Some days, the editors have lots of time for going over submissions. Some days, the editors are up to their arses in alligators dealing with some unforseen problem that "must be dealt with right now", Some days, the editors may be busy getting stuff shipped out for conventions, and so on.

It's tough for authors, especially those on the outside trying to look in to keep patient, but there's only one thing to do once you submit a book to an agent, a publisher, a reviewer . . .

Start working on the next one.

They'll get to it when they get to it.

I understand that and thanks for your two cents of wisdom. However, I was looking to get some feedback from individuals who have actually worked with them. I am aware that things take time with publishers, it's just sometimes nice to have a good idea of what one is getting himself into before going full steam ahead.

If anyone else has direct experience with Evernight, it would be great to hear those thoughts and experiences.

Cheers,

~MH~

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Morgan,

I have some experience with Evernight. How long has it been since you resubmitted?

They do work fairly fast with everything - from submission to edits to publication.

Last edited:

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Morgan,

I have some experience with Evernight. How long has it been since you resubmitted?

They do work fairly fast with everything - from submission to edits to publication.

Hi C.M.N.,

It's been almost 3 weeks since I resubmitted, but they only took 2 weeks on the initial submission. Is this a good sign? Could this mean a contract is near in my future? How have you liked working with them? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Cheers,

~MH~

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed working with them. They were very prompt with our first submission (co-authored) earlier last year. Our second sub was delayed by a couple months in mid-2014, not sure why, but still published without a hitch in November.

It's hard to say if it's a good sign or a bad sign. Publisher schedules change in an instant. One moment they can work like wildfire, and the next, get bogged down for some reason.

My suggestion is to give another week, then send a friendly confirmation to make sure they received it.

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed working with them. They were very prompt with our first submission (co-authored) earlier last year. Our second sub was delayed by a couple months in mid-2014, not sure why, but still published without a hitch in November.

It's hard to say if it's a good sign or a bad sign. Publisher schedules change in an instant. One moment they can work like wildfire, and the next, get bogged down for some reason.

My suggestion is to give another week, then send a friendly confirmation to make sure they received it.

Thanks for the info! I will take it easy for a little longer then.

Cheers,

~MH~

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com
I have several books with Evernight and I find them very easy to work with. I think the longest I've ever waited to hear about a submission was ten days or so? They are usually very prompt, but I know they are busier than ever.

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed working with Evernight. My second book, an urban fantasy, is due out March 12 (which is also my birthday--I find that a good omen :D ).

On my first book, they got back to me four days after submission. The second book took about 9 days.

Last edited:

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for all your genuine thoughts on the matter!

Some have been very happy and others have had mixed feelings. That being said, I guess I will just see if they decide to contract my R&R and decide with my gut feeling at the time.

Cheers,

~MH~

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Once again, thanks to everyone for your great feedback!

I had to post again to keep everyone in the loop:

Evernight just accepted my manuscript and I'm very excited! It took a little longer than many other individuals have experienced on here, but I'm still happy it happened nonetheless.

I will continue to post on here with updates on how the process works. Have a wonderful week everyone!

Cheers,

~MH~