A question for you Brits!

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Breakfast meal that is eaten in England, but which would be, by USA/CAN standards, stomach turning (especially to a kid). It doesn't have to be a super common food, or even something that you've eaten. Just something that some people eat so that it would accurate that such a breakfast meal does indeed exist and it's fairly common knowledge that it exists.

eg - Is blood pudding a breakfast food?

Reaction score
British or English? I ask because your thread title and OP mention the two terms as if they're interchangeable.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
British or English? I ask because your thread title and OP mention the two terms as if they're interchangeable.

Fair enough. Let's go with "British" then since it opens up the food choices a bit - if you have a breakfast food idea that's eaten in England Scotland or Wales. Please share :) (I can alter the cook to fit the dish :p)

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
In Scotland, it's known as black pudding and is pretty much an all-day food, although yes, it's a popular part of a fried breakfast. I never eat it myself. At any time of day.

(Its opposite, white pudding, is a culinary abomination usually bought from a chippie and eaten as part of a 'chippie tea' in the evenings. It looks like a deep-fried turd painted white).

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Devilled kidneys on a fried slice topped with a poached egg. Blech.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Okay - so just so I have this right, blood PUDDING is a sausage, yeah? It's not a pudding? and it's not a pudding and a sausage?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yes, it is. And it looks absolutely disgusting. It would certainly turn a child's stomach.

My son loves it! Then again, he's pretty much a human dustbin.

Kippers? Kedgeree? They're pretty foul...the smell of kippers first thing in the morning. Yuk.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Oh my, that picture sure does look nasty! My grandmother talked about making blood pudding. I always pictured this bowl of thickened blood that you ate with a spoon and threw up. Thanks for the clarification. Now I've got an even sicker picture in my mind when I think of the stuff.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
A greasy, gristly slice of black pudding mixed with the gelatinous white and yellow of an undercooked fried egg.

*boak*

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Black pudding is more of a northern (and irish) breakfast thing.
I'd go with kippers

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A greasy, gristly slice of black pudding mixed with the gelatinous white and yellow of an undercooked fried egg.

*boak*

Don't forget the watery juice from the shriveled fried tomato and the beans spilled recklessly over the bacon. Delivered to the table by a hungover cook with a lit cigarette dangling perilously between compressed lips.

(It happened to me...a pub in Ironbridge...never again)

But, yea, I'd go with kippers, not a smell you'd want first thing in the morning.

*heaves*

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
oh guys, blurg! Too gross. I agree that blood pudding is like... blackened, dry, tasteless charcoal. And the knowledge of what it really is made out of still freaks the hell out of me.

Another vote for kippers too :)

Some might find yorkshire pudding kind of offputting, I've seen it served (Weirdly) at breakfast time in some places...

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Nowt wrong wi'...

black pudding!

Now if it were Finnan Haddock, that unpleasant yellow dried fish stuff, you might complain.

Kippers smell sweet compared to Finny.

Kedgeree has become fashionable and children like it.

Do Americans have real Scottish oatmeal porridge as opposed to all those instant packets called porridge? That would be a shock if the child expected the instant stuff.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
black pudding!

Now if it were Finnan Haddock, that unpleasant yellow dried fish stuff, you might complain.

Kippers smell sweet compared to Finny.

Kedgeree has become fashionable and children like it.

Do Americans have real Scottish oatmeal porridge as opposed to all those instant packets called porridge? That would be a shock if the child expected the instant stuff.

I don't think Finnan Haddock should be dry or yellow. If it is yellow then it has been dyed - yuk! It should be a sort of creamy colour and moist. The smell of it being poached can put people off. Totally useless piece of information: I had a cat who would kill for smoked haddock - he would eat it until he was stuffed!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry - posting after myself.

I've been thinking about this as I've just cooked my breakfast. No work today so did a full English - bacon, sausages, mushrooms. tomatoes, toast + marmalade, orange juice and coffee. The last full English I had was a couple of weeks ago when my niece and I went out for breakfast - and it was truly horrible. We had eaten at the place before and it has new owners who seem to think that really cheap is good. The bacon was like cardboard, there was no taste to the toms or mushrooms except one of grease. The egg slithered about the plate in its' own private sea of grease. And then there were the sausages. I really like sausages but not these. They were an unhealthy shade of pink on the inside and almost burnt on the outside. They had quite a distinct flavour which made me gag. I cannot describe it. The toast was the thinnest of thin bread with a yellow substance spread across it. The point is that a meal can look good on the menu but be made awful by the use of the cheapest possible ingredients cooked badly and carelessly. If you are hungry and anticipating a good meal and a disaster appears in front of you it is worse because disappointment is added to hunger. And maybe anger.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I'd always had trouble with bacon and scrambled eggs. Not outside England. It's just the way they make them. Everything swimming in fat.

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Eeeew, I'd go for black pudding. You can get it all over Britain - I was contemplating a full English breakfast at a cafe in Brighton not long ago, but then saw that black pudding was included and quickly changed my mind!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Eeeew, I'd go for black pudding. You can get it all over Britain - I was contemplating a full English breakfast at a cafe in Brighton not long ago, but then saw that black pudding was included and quickly changed my mind!

You can tell the cafe people that you don't want the bp! I loath it and won't have it on my plate.

I LOVE kippers! Manx ones with out the nasty dye stuff!