Hello From The UK

Skytrucker

Skytrucker
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the Peoples' Independent Republic of Braintree (Essex) although I am originally from Scotland. Scotland is a famous place in Britain. I am fond of asparagus and curried porridge with chips. Please see my profile for further information.

Scott_Younger

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! I'm from a small town in Bedfordshire called Flitwick. That's right, JK Rowling did pass by on the train and decided to name a vertically challenged Charms professor after my town. ;D Though I'm at Uni in Norwich (the home of Alan Partridge.)

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! I'm from a small town in Bedfordshire called Flitwick. That's right, JK Rowling did pass by on the train and decided to name a vertically challenged Charms professor after my town. ;D Though I'm at Uni in Norwich (the home of Alan Partridge.)

Hi Scott :) - welcome to AW!

That's so cool about Flitwick, btw.
I'm from Devon, and I believe 'Dumbledore' is a Devonshire dialect term for bumblebee :)

TomW22

Registered
Reaction score

Ah, you're rather close to me then! I only really know Flitwick as being where all the Grant Palmer buses come from!

Ampthill on the other hand I seem to remember having a nice little bookshop when I last visited, or at least an odds and sods type of place with a good range of books.

Hannah M

Me. Who else?
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, a competition! I'm from London so let's see...

Yes! Wilkie Collins is a Londoner, and he wrote 'The Woman in White' and 'The Moonstone' which are, incidentally, the first English mystery books written! Do I win? (Thanks, google:))

Semi_Sweet

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, a competition! I'm from London so let's see...

Yes! Wilkie Collins is a Londoner, and he wrote 'The Woman in White' and 'The Moonstone' which are, incidentally, the first English mystery books written! Do I win? (Thanks, google:))

You make a good case, certainly :p

Side224

Registered
Reaction score
Londoner here. Currently living in Rugby tho. How I miss the hustle of Covent Garden, the architecture, the tube even. Just seems so empty up here.

BeeG

Registered
Reaction score
Living in the land of UK but not from here originally. Over here to steal jobs and steal women. Not going so well on either front...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Living in the land of UK but not from here originally. Over here to steal jobs and steal women. Not going so well on either front...

Stole a woman. Haven't stolen a job yet.

So, at least half of it can be done. Good luck :)

AuntySocial

Registered
Reaction score
Over here to steal jobs and steal women

LOL :roll:

I'm an ex-pat American-born multiple national living in Valhalla, aka Wales, by way of London, originally. I stole several blokes not to mention jobs.

They filmed a really cool Volkswagen advert near where I live, and Take Down Holyhead, so maybe I'm a runner-up?

Nice ta meetcha :D Happy writing!

Lilfairy

Enjoying insanity
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm from Kent. The county that gave the world Geoffrey Chaucer, Charles Dickens and H G Wells.

Maybe the time for famous writers from Kent has passed? Perhaps I should consider moving to another county or country?

DanLett

Registered
Reaction score
I'm English but I have lived in Canada for ten years. This can sometimes make writing difficult, as I am forever switching between dialects and spellings.

Anyway, 'ello.

D S LILLICO

Author of Xy
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from the UK!

Hello my fellow countrymen and countrywomen from Coventry!

Please check out my novel set in a post apocalyptic UK!

JimAnnison

The Man on the Clapham Omnibus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yyz2112.wix.com
Hello and welcome from the heart of (Ancient) Sherwood Forest - Mansfield, Notts.

And I mean literally the Heart of Ancient Sherwood - we have a tree in the town that marks the old centre of the Ancient forest.

mazblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Boston...unfortunately the English one not the much more exciting American cousin. I am originally from Yorkshire and am currently in exile here, only managing to holiday in the place that beats in my heart.
Not sure if anyone famous has come from Boston, although we do grow most of the potatoes you eat, so that has to be a plus right?
Married, to a Gibraltararian, one son, who is a special boy with aspergers who day after day is proving he can do it, and he will do it... (last year in mainstream school and expecting A* grades, wanting to be a lawyer) Also have a mad cavalier king Charles spaniel, who to be fair fits right it.
Not sure if any of you are in the area, looking to maybe set up a writing group or just an excuse to sit in costa coffee and people watch :)