Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
Okay, so I'm almost finished with edits on my first mystery. Now, I say "almost" hesitantly because it seems like the job of editing never ends. Even when I'm finished making some changes, I'll be printing it off for another read through.

Now, it's possible there's other similar threads out there but what keeps you going when you're tired of working on one book?

Now don't take it the wrong way, I love my novel and I trust there's a great story in there others will enjoy reading....but when it comes down to the discipline to just get it finished, I freeze. For example, here I am with only about 100 pgs or less to review from a beta reader. There is nothing major to change, but I'm procrastinating (heck, here I am on AW making a thread, and I'll probably opt for an afternoon nap afterwards)...What I want to know is:

What keeps you going despite procrastination and other distractions?

Maybe I just have to work on self-discipline...

ebennet68

Avoids editing by procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
My desire gets renewed to go back to a piece I've read several times over when I give it a rest for a period of time and then go back and make the necessary edits. This last time I gave it six weeks before picking it up again.

arcane

a matter of time
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have the same problem with edits. I'm on the fourth draft of my WIP and it gets really tough to motivate myself to come back to it again. What usually works for motivation is imagining that moment where I'll say it's Finished (as terrifying as that can be) and can move onto new projects without looking back at this one.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
I think the thought that it is my name on the cover and that I don't want to be responsible for something that is less than my best. By then I have gone way past the liking them stage. Once they are accepted there are editorial edits, desk edits, copy edits, page proofs and actual proofs: they kill the love so what you have left is doggedness and professionalism.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Once I'd sooner stab myself in the eyes with a rusty nail file than read that chapter again, I decide it's time to move on to the next one.

Once I get to the point where I can't say for sure if an edit was an improvement or just a change for change's sake. There is a point where you get to diminishing returns.

Oh and now I've gone through edits with my actual editor, I have to say that's a motivator to get it back to her!

It's possible to tinker with it forever, but it will never be entirely perfect. I just try to keep in mind the maxim that "no work of art is ever finished, merely abandonded" and try to find the right moment to abandon it out in the world.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
What keeps me going? I have had several short stories and dozens of nonfiction articles published. More than once, I have read the published piece, IN THE MAGAZINE, and seen an error, or a sentence I wish I had rephrased. Every time, I just want to sit down and cry in embarrassment.

I never want to have that feeling again. THAT'S what keeps me going when my energy is flagging on rewrites.

Sassy3421

Plotting murder..most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sassy3421.blogspot.com
thank you guys for your responses. I definately look at money as a motivator lol but I also want to be able to say, "I wrote this", and be proud of it. hopefully that will be the case when I give this book one final read through.

I'm printing it now and to see almost an entire ream of paper...no wonder I was feeling overwhelmed. I edited all of this with the help of a beta reader in 1 week! (and that's while working full-time)...time for a glass of wine

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they'll certainly never end at this rate. *pokes editing pile with a stick*

I edited all of this with the help of a beta reader in 1 week! (and that's while working full-time)...time for a glass of wine
Wow. I think I hate you.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Now, it's possible there's other similar threads out there but what keeps you going when you're tired of working on one book?

Depends on the level of tired.

If it's the "oh my god if I read another word of this book I will puke" tired... I take a break and write something else, maybe for a day, maybe for a week, maybe for a few months. Sometimes you hit a point where you have to flush your head out and start with fresh eyes.

If it's the "ugh I just want to watch HGTV and eat oreos" well... that's when you find out if you're disciplined or not. And I'm pretty good at shaming myself into doing work I know I should be doing.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
When you start to hate going back to the ragged thing and making a few changes here or there for the sheer sake of "this might sound better".

When editing an old work becomes more work than it's worth or because a beta reader suggested the changes.

When you dread opening the stupid file simply because you're sick and tired of the raggedy old bitch.

When editing takes you away from wiring on a new WIP for little or no good purpose.

When you're just tired of the whole slogging process with that particular work.

When you have it in front of a publisher who seems to be taking an awfully long time to make a buy or deny decision.

:)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I edit once. That's enough. Finish the first draft, read thorugh once, fix problems I see, stop right there. I'd go out of my mind if I had to keep making pass after pass.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There can be a point at which one edits too much.

I try not to do more than two edits myself.

zpeteman

Natural born...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thefiddlersgun.com
What gets me going and makes me get it done? A deadline. I have no problem disappointing myself but I refuse to disappoint others.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Okay, so I'm almost finished with edits on my first mystery. Now, I say "almost" hesitantly because it seems like the job of editing never ends. Even when I'm finished making some changes, I'll be printing it off for another read through.

Now don't take it the wrong way, I love my novel and I trust there's a great story in there others will enjoy reading....but when it comes down to the discipline to just get it finished, I freeze. For example, here I am with only about 100 pgs or less to review from a beta reader. There is nothing major to change, but I'm procrastinating (heck, here I am on AW making a thread, and I'll probably opt for an afternoon nap afterwards)...What I want to know is:

What keeps you going despite procrastination and other distractions?

Maybe I just have to work on self-discipline...

They end when the book hits the shelf...unless, of course, there are edits between the first run and the second. (-; I know an author who had a change between hard cover and trade...so I imagine it's not completely unheard of and it may even be common.

I know what you mean...by the time I get to the end I pretty much hate my book. I don't know what that says...it's just that you DO get tired of it. It's natural. What keeps me going...the possibility of readership, I suppose. And the knowledge that that won't happen unless I beat it into readership worthy shape.

Just make sure you don't over-edit.

Leasie

Surrender, Dorothy!
Registered
Reaction score
Mhmm i crashed a creative writing course and my lecturer had a friend that had been editing his book for 17 years, its been published about 6 different times in between those 17 years though

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Well, for me, they are never ending...

I've been procrastinating so much it's not even funny. :(
After 1st of September I wrote down and signed an oath of fidelity to my book, to finish it once and for all and submit it.

TheWordQueen

Registered
Reaction score
Procrastinating when writing and editing is something that all writers are guilty of. The trick is to think what would happen if you died without anyone having rwad your book. That usually does the trick :)

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
I used to never stop editing. And I hated it. It made me not want to write anymore because the editing seemed to take over everything.

Then I stopped. And writing was fun again. So now I do the once-over after my first readers have given me comments and fix whatever I notice/they've pointed out that I agree with and I'm done. Endlessly editing doesn't get work out the door to people who can buy it. I'm much happier now that I just follow Heinlein's Rules, and my work is actually getting published as opposed to sitting on my computer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.