AW Is an Amazon Associate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: FAQ: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Avatars and User Titles

Threaded View

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar

FAQ: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Avatars and User Titles

Members often want to have a custom avatar, the image that appears to the left of a post.

There are some things you need to know about avatars. First, the size of the avatar as a file, and in terms of the image size, is limited by software.

Registered users with less than fifty posts:
    80 x80

Super Members (50 posts+)
    175 x 240

Kind Benefactors (people who have subscribed)
    200 x 250

• Mac often silently increases the avatar image allocations as server space etc. improves.
    • In general, members may not upload or link to animated gifs as avatars. Mac may at her whim make an exception, but it's rare.
    • And then there are the people on whom Mac spontaneously bestows avatars. All bets are off on those . . .

There are free image editors, like Google's Picasa, and Flickr and Photobucket that have image editing, cropping and re-sizing abilities.

I'd suggest uploading an image from your computer rather than trying to upload from a URL/Web site. vBulletin will usually give you an error message if you try to upload from a Web site.

Check the vBulletin FAQ about your Profile and avatars.

Make sure that you're not confusing a Profile picture, which only appears on your User Profile, with an Avatar, which appears in every post.

To change your Avatar:

1. Click Settings on the top right of any AW Forum window.
    2. Scroll down to the section labeled My Settings on the left.
    3. Click Edit Avatar
    4. Scroll down to the section labeled Custom Avatar; click the radio button to the left of Custom Avatar
    5. Use Option 2, and upload an avatar the (following the image and file size limitations) from your computer.
      Option 1 has been disabled.
    6. Remember to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click the Save Changes button.
    7. If you don't see your new avatar when you check a post, and you're sure you clicked Save Changes, try emptying your browser cache and refreshing the page. You might have a local copy of the previous version still stored by your Web browser.

If you're truly stuck, PM me as AW Admin, and I'll take a look.

To change your Profile Picture:

1. Click Settings on the top right of any AW Forum window.
    2. Scroll down to the section labeled My Settings on the left.
    3. Under the My Profile heading, Click Edit Profile Picture
    4. Scroll down to the section labeled Custom Profile Picture; click the radio button to the left of Custom Avatar.
    5. Use Option 2, and upload an avatar (following the image and file size limitations) from your computer.
      Option 1 has been disabled.
    6. Remember to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click the Save Changes button.
    7. If you don't see your new Profile Picture when you check your Profile, and you're sure you clicked Save Changes, try emptying your browser cache and refreshing the page. You might have a local copy of the previous version still stored by your Web browser.

If you're truly stuck, PM me as AW Admin, and I'll take a look.

User Titles

The string of text under your member name is your User Title.
    Initially they are based on the number of post you have; it starts with New User Learning About Thick Skin.

At 50 Posts you become a Super Member.

How To Edit your User Title

1. Go to your Settings.
    2. Click Edit Profile under the Your Profile heading.
    3. Scroll down to the second panel in the center labeled "Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members."
    4. Enter text in the field under "Custom User Title." There is a character limit.
    5. Remember to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click the Save Changes button.

The check box/ticky box "Reset" will restore your User title to the default (i.e. Registered Users, Super Members, etc. ) as set by by the forum software. You can still edit it after.

There are special user titles that are conferred by MacAllister based on community service, etc. Absolute Sage, and Poet Laureate are examples of those titles.

Make sure you click the Save Changes button.

If your avatar or profile picture isn't showing, empty your browser's cache and refresh the page; you're likely seeing an old version of your profile, stored locally by your browser.

If You Want to Change Your User Name (i.e. your login id)

See this: FAQ: How Do I Change My User Name
    Last edited by AW Admin; 06-19-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added link, removed comma, etc.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?