• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

SindbadtheSailor

mirror it on every tear
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new to the forum. This is my first post. Having been cheated once by an agency, I would like to tread the future cautiously. I have just got to know about the Jane Dystel Literary Management. They seem alright. But I want to be sure about it. Please tell me if this agency is trustworthy. Unlike before, I've become wary of all agencies.

Sindbad.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I received a boiler-plate reject from one of the other agents in the firm.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Sinbad, if you go to the Index (sticky'd to the top of the page), you'll find a bunch of threads on the safest and best ways to conduct an agent search, as well as links to Writer Beware and Preditors and Editors and other useful sites.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Very legit. One of Jane's clients lavishes huge praise upon her, and how she negotiated a terrific deal for him.

And it's Dystel & Goderich, by the way...

Last edited:

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
Dystel & Goderich

Michael Bourett will be at the Maryland Writers Assoc. writers conference (May 6 - Baltimore). I signed up for a 15 minute interview with him. Will post a summary of my impressions after the conference.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
PurpleLady said:
Michael Bourett will be at the Maryland Writers Assoc. writers conference (May 6 - Baltimore). I signed up for a 15 minute interview with him. Will post a summary of my impressions after the conference.

My crit partner is one of Michael's clients, and she ADORES him. He scored her a very nice two-book sale, pretty quickly as these things go.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
jchines said:
Their site includes a client list, and that client list includes many, many books sold to major publishers.

Ie, they're legit.
Remember, though, friends: check those credits and clients on agents' lists. Trust, but verify.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
A question about Michael Bourret, is it common for him to request the full manuscript after initial contact, not a sample? In his response to my email, he said, "Please send your novel." I thought this seemed weird.

Oh well, I'm still excited, since according to everyone, it's a legitimate agency.

rchastain

Registered
Reaction score
My agent requested a full without first asking for a partial. I think it means the agent really liked the query. RC

Last edited:

carlywrites

Michael Bourret read my novel but passed. The experience was good - he even let me call him and talk about what wasn't working. You can't go wrong with this agency.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Proverb, it isn't unusual if the agent really liked your query, especially if you write in a shorter genre (early reader, YA, category romance.)

I think you write YA (or my memory could just be swiss cheese.)

Good luck. This is a very good agency.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was boneheaded and didn't put a SASE in, so I wonder if that means he won't reply...hmm.... It was my pre-rewrite manuscript anyway, so I don't think it was as good as my rewrite, so I guess I know it would be a rejection....

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that I had them on my list to query but didn't! (Happy because I still have some top-notch agents left to query). Will definitely query them when the time comes.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Jim McCarthy at Dystel & Goderich liked my query and first chapter enough to request the full right away. He reviewed the full pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks) and really liked the premise and certain aspects of the manuscript, but ultimately passed. He had some great constructive comments, however, and invited me to re-submit when I revised or if I had another project. I've heard good things about his ability to sell in my genre so I'm excited about that.

As far as what I'm writing, I would consider them among the top-notch agencies. Maybe not one of the hugest, but very good nonetheless.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I followed up with Michael and he says he didn't get my full. He was very apologetic and told me to just send it through email, and I got to send him the much better, rewritten, version. Wish me luck!

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Provrb1810meggy said:
Well, I followed up with Michael and he says he didn't get my full. He was very apologetic and told me to just send it through email, and I got to send him the much better, rewritten, version. Wish me luck!

What a wonderful stroke of luck!!! I wish you the best and all fingers that I don't have crossed for my own partials that I have out are crossed for you. :)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm crossing my fingers too and I'll cross my fingers for you.

Sharman

I queried Lauren Abramo (junior agent) there via email & got a reject back the same day. Not what I wanted to hear but at least a response.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Trident Media Group vs. Dystel & Goderich: Round One!

Jim McCarthy just requested my full, a paranormal romance that is also under consideration at Trident. I snail mailed him a query per the agency's Web site last Saturday and he emailed requesting the full on Wednesday. Must have read the query the day he received it. Wow!

I'll update more when I have news.