• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I got a request for a full from Jim MacCarthy recently (a crime novel with some humour). Does anyone have any recent response times from him?

According to QueryTracker.net, the responses to fulls requested in the last month have ranged from 1 day to 17 days.

Tench

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Treehouseman. (Today makes it 13 days for me).

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
On average, you don't have to wait too, too long if Jim McCarthy is the one that asked for a full. He tends to read pretty fast. Or, maybe less encouragingly, he tends to figure out pretty quickly when a book isn't working out for him.

ajwinter

Registered
Reaction score
I sent out my e-query to Jim on Tuesday (6/12) and got a full yesterday! EEP! This was my first full request, and I've never been so excited/anxious in my life. I have a friend who is one of his client's and she raves about him. I'm looking forward to hearing back from him!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Mike Hoogland? There's only one mention of him in the thread so far. Thanks.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Mike Hoogland? There's only one mention of him in the thread so far. Thanks.

I have a friend who's represented by him. He sold her picture book to S&S in a relatively short period of time. She seems happy with him.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Krista. I miss your blog posts, btw.

Last edited:

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard something from Ms. Kemi Faderin recently ? I queried her in May and never heard back. DGB asks you to resubmit in case of non-response, which I did a few weeks ago - unfortunately, I still haven't heard back...

Last edited:

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone with experience working with Ann Leslie Tuttle? She seems lovely on email (a full req, yay!) :)

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Jim McCarthy today with 25 pages, got a request for the full in less than an hour. All previous mentions of his speed are apparently true. This was also my first full request, so there's that.
Oh, and he responded back immediately when he got the full, which gave me a heart attack before I opened it.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Dude you've been rocking the querying. Which beta entry was yours?

Is this the bridesmaid-in-a-hoodie story?

Jim R'd me in about four days, and the other full you got the last couple days--that agent (I forget her name ATM) also R'd me.

Congrats!

Last edited:

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Patty, hahaha, thanks. I wish it was as rockin' as you think it is. I haven't gotten another full yet. I did get a request for 50 more pages from Sara Megibow, but so far, that and this are all I have to show. I'm racking up my share of rejections, as well. Yes, it was the bridesmaid in the hoodie one. I made a few more changes since whatever was last posted in QLH and elsewhere. If anyone actually bites I should probably go back and update with the final version. Good luck in the query trenches!

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Jim McCarthy today with 25 pages, got a request for the full in less than an hour. All previous mentions of his speed are apparently true. This was also my first full request, so there's that.
Oh, and he responded back immediately when he got the full, which gave me a heart attack before I opened it.

Congrats Stytch! He promptly requested my brand new story also, BUT I didn't get any verification that he received the full, like you did. So now I'm stressing...

He's one of the first three agents I queried, and I'm holding off on querying others, so I really want to verify that he received it. But is it acceptable to ask? It's been 16 days since he requested. Will I make myself appear pesty if I ask him?

Has anyone else had experience with this? Does he usually respond that he's received the full? Is it okay to say I was just checking that he'd gotten it 16 days later, or does it make me appear impatient, like I'm really just trying to get a response on the story?

He does seem super nice, so maybe he'll be cool with it?

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I'd check, and just be honest. "Hey, I read from someone else that you'd given a 'received' message to someone else who sent you a manuscript, and since I didn't get one I just wanted to check if I need to resend..."

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I'd check, and just be honest. "Hey, I read from someone else that you'd given a 'received' message to someone else you sent a manuscript, and since I didn't get one I just wanted to check if I need to resend..."

Thank you, that's what I'll do!

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Jim McCarthy is so nice. If anyone else needs to know, he doesn't generally send the "received" messages on requested material, so don't worry if you don't get one. :)

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Got the rejection on my full today, two weeks turnaround. I admire the speed, at least.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Got the rejection on my full today, two weeks turnaround. I admire the speed, at least.

Yeah, I've always been able to count on Jim McCarthy for the fastest rejections on a full I've ever seen. He may be the gold medalist of Agents for the 100 m dash on full rejections.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I believe he rejected my query super-fast too, like four hours.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I sent a requested full to Ann Leslie Tuttle and received a rejection on August 30 saying "I didn’t connect as fully with the plotting as I’d hoped."

Today, out of the blue, I received a second rejection for the same manuscript saying, "I didn’t connect with the voice as fully as I’d hoped".

If I get a third rejection saying she didn't connect with the characters as fully as she'd hoped, I'll let you all know!