• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need a fresh pair of eyes for dark contemp. YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told my writing is dark and edgy.

REMEMBER's about a smart, mature-for-her-age girl at boarding school who tries to forget about her abusive mother, befriends cute rich people who are the most terrible influences, and spirals down when her mother dies and her ex-boyfriend attempts suicide in the same week. Most of her conflict is internal, and there's also a fashion label internship involved.

It's 66,000 words, and I've been told it's like LOCK AND KEY meets LOOKING FOR ALASKA, how the voice is reminiscent of Markus Zusak's GETTING THE GIRL, how it's like a cross between GOSSIP GIRL and REQUIEM FOR A DREAM. I have materials out with agents right now, and want some more reader opinions before sending out my second round of queries.

So I'm terrible with summaries, basically. But you can read more details about it/excerpts/the actual query and my other projects over at my blog.

PM/rep/reply if interested, I guess?

Last edited:

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Uni's about to start for me, but I've got a few days. Would you be willing to just send me 20 pages for now and we'll see how things go? DM me if you're interested, and I'll give you my email.

:D

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very interested. :) Going to rep you with my e-mail. Send me the ms ASAP, with any kind of feedback form you want and I'll try and get it back to you within the next couple of days. I'm not an experienced beta reader, but I'm an experienced reader! Does that count? Oh, yeah, and I love Markus Zusak, Requiem for a Dream and Looking for Alaska. I am so there.

Ty.D.

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have time to beta with school, but can I just say that "Gossip Girl meets Requiem for a Dream" sounds freaking awesome? Because it does!

I'd buy/publish that! :D

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have time to beta with school, but can I just say that "Gossip Girl meets Requiem for a Dream" sounds freaking awesome? Because it does!

I'd buy/publish that! :D

Haha! I've actually never seen Requiem for a Dream but my lovely beta reader Steph (fairy86) pointed it out. So I might just watch it. :D
Thanks for the offers, everyone! I've got my two betas now, I don't need any more. You guys are awesome for volunteering.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Hmmmmm... I just joined AW but I might be able to offer fresh eyes but in a weird way. I don't read contemp YA (ok I think I've read 2-3 I don't count The Princess Diaries), I haven't read any of the books you reference in your post, and Requiem for a Dream is an abomination (I have seen it and I hate it more than any other movie I've ever seen in my life).

But if it helps, I'm a big Chuck Pahlanuik fan.

But, the fact that this isn't my genre may help.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I know. I don't understand how anyone can hate REQUIEM, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.