Enter Spenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Enter Spenser, one volume that contains the first three novels featuring the Boston private eye, Spenser, by Robert B. Parker. I'm a huge fan of the series, but I started reading it somewhere in the middle. It's interesting to see the difference in style between the first three and the later novels.

These three, it seems to me, rely much more on detailed description, and less on what I suppose became Parker's trademark-- snappy, witty dialogue. Flashes of that appear in these novels, but it's not really showcased. Spenser seems slightly different, as well-- though I can't really put a finger on it. Less sure of his abilities? Also, in later novels, I think the suggestion is that he grew up in Wyoming, largely without a mother. These say he grew up around Boston and his mother is mentioned.

So, I guess if you sell and maintain a popular series, the first novel or so need not define the whole series.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Were the later books better or worse than the earlier ones?

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I read the whole serie several years, so I may have missed the last few. It was my opinion that the middle of the series was best. The first few weren't fully developed, and Parker didn't anything left for the the last ones; but the ones in the middle were good.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I read the whole serie several years, so I may have missed the last few. It was my opinion that the middle of the series was best. The first few weren't fully developed, and Parker didn't anything left for the the last ones; but the ones in the middle were good.

I'd agree with that. It's probably true of any lengthy series-- novel, television, or movie.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would just like to announce that I would bop Hawk in a heartbeat.

Carry on.

Maryn, who liked him best

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I may be biased, but I like the later novels more than the earlier ones. Spenser doesn't seem like Spenser to my until more than a dozen novels in.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm with Jamesritchie on that. I've pretty much been a life-long Parker fan, but the Spenser books were at their strongest somewhere around Looking for Rachel Wallace, up until maybe Cold Service.

And the last few books were all still extremely readable. I should count myself lucky to write fiction half as compulsively readable at such a galloping pace.

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I hate all of you. My reading list is already too long. x.x

Deleted member 42

I started with Looking for Rachel Wallace, at Mac's suggestion.

I've since gone back to the beginning. The latter novels are better.m but the first are clearly already special.

Parker was a really neat guy. I think we shall mourn his loss for a generation or three. I wish he had written the article he said he wanted to write about Edmund Spenser, the poet; it would have been interesting, and new.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Here's serendipity; having recently acquired a pretty full set of the Spenser books, which I hadn't previously read, I have spent the last three weeks working my way up to my current read: Hush Money, which I think is number 26?

I am enjoying them enormously, and think they are really quite consistent. The voice is there the whole way. There's progression as Parker adds recurring characters like Hawk, Paul Giacomin, Vinne Morris, Belson, Joe Broz, Lee Farrell, Chollo et al; Susan Silverman is the most significant addition in that she gives the books an extra dimension. All the progression seems natural, although I'd agree it's not until Promised Land that all the really important pieces are in place.

What's also very interesting is that it seems to me that I'm seeing Parker invent tropes that eventually became staples of the genre. Hawk - the stone killer who is devoted to the hero - crops up again and again in subsequent PI fiction: Robert Crais's Joe Pike, Dennis Lehane's Bubba, Harlan Coben's Win Lockwood. Actually I think Parker found the character so useful as a foil for Spenser that he basically gave us two more in Vinnie and Chollo. (You could also say Martin Quirk is a similar reflection of Spenser, just on the opposite side of the law to the other three.)

EDITED TO ADD: I'd be interested to know if actually Hawk has an earlier prototype. I don't see him in Chandler or Hammett but I have a bit of a blind spot in between. I don't think Travis McGee had a Hawkish pal, did he?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

EDITED TO ADD: I'd be interested to know if actually Hawk has an earlier prototype. I don't see him in Chandler or Hammett but I have a bit of a blind spot in between. I don't think Travis McGee had a Hawkish pal, did he?

This is one of the things Parker wrote about in his dissertation; the knightly sidekick, he called it.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
Travis McGee had Meyer as a sidekick. He wasn't very Hawkish but he did provide a lot of sage advice.

Deleted member 42

That's very interesting - please would you point me in its direction? Is it published, at all?

No, it's not. You can request it from inter library loan, or buy a copy from UMI.

The Violent Hero, Wilderness Heritage and Urban Reality. Robert B. Parker. Dissertation in Partial fulfillment of the Ph.D. in English. Boston University, 1971.

If you have access to a library with the ProQuest/UMI dissertation database you can order a copy.

You USED to be able to search the database online from the ProQuest/UMI Web site, and order a copy of any dissertation on file. I can't find a free search now on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
(Think of Hawk as Talus (the Queen's own groom, a man of iron) to Spenser's Artegal (The knight of justice, sent on quest by Gloriana), in Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queen -- Parker plays hard with lots of literary allusions.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.