pregnancy - how long before it shows?

tatzaana

Registered
Reaction score
How far into a normal pregnancy does the belly start to really get noticed? OMG I just found out today that my teacher is pregnant. I think she said she was 5 months in. I was in history and I noticed that she looked bigger then she told us and I was so happy that I was able to figure it out. How long does it usually take for a normal(meaning a single baby) pregnancy to show?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the woman's physical condition and what pregnancy it is.

If she's in good physical condition or if she's fat, it often shows later, especially if it's the first pregnancy. If it's a second or later pregnancy, the body has already stretched previously so it's faster to stretch (so my OB told me).

I've known several women who were physically very fit and worked out regularly who didn't get much of a belly at all (most people thought they were very early in their terms) who gave birth to over 8 lb babies each and never really showed.

OTOH, my sister, who was slightly overweight when she got pregnant, ballooned to HUGE within five months with her only pregnancy.

I was somewhat overweight with my first, lost 30 lbs (so I was finally at my ideal weight) with the pregnancy and only really started showing when I was 8 months along. I started showing about 5-6 months with my second.

*shrug*

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thin, but my first didn't show until the fifth month. I noticed that taller friends showed even later. The second and later pregnancies show much earlier because by then the muscles are "stretched" already (in other words, bye bye wasp waist!!!!). It really depends on the woman's body. I had a friend who's really short and her belly was just popping out already at six month. She made me wanna stretch out my arms and help her carry that thing, for fear it'd fall off any minute....

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't show with my first until about 6 1/2 mos or so and she sat very high and long. My belly popped right out with my second at 5 mos and she sat low and wide. Weird. They were nearly the same size at birth and I gained about the same amount of weight.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I never showed until I was at least seven months along. With my first son,I was enormous at nine months. I had a smooth and relatively small seven months. Then boom! I was a waddling elephant.

My cousin popped at four months.

I guess it depends on the woman's build.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Remember the rumors that Sarah Palin's child really was the daughter's? Some people never really show that much.

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
My wife who is short by North American standards (she's Chinese) and was a little overweight started to show at about 3 months. It seemed almost like all the extra weight on her body migrated to her stomach. Now at 5 months she looks like she's about 7 months pregnant.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was well over 5 months, and even then I didn't show for another lot of weeks until over the course of a single weekend I sort of exploded.

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
There's showing and then there's showing. You might be able to see the bump yourself, and be aware that your clothes fit differently, but others might not notice it for ages after you do. And to complicate things, some quite slim people have a little bump below the belly button. I've only ever been caught once asking someone when she was due and she wasn't pregnant. I think she had something the matter- she had such skinny limbs but was so round in the baby-growing region. I would have sworn she was 8 months. She was very good-natured about it, but now I always wait to be told, no matter how sure I am about it. Tricky business.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't show until 7 months. Was interviewing for jobs at 5 months and my employer was surprised when he found out I was pregnant.

I'm tall and thin with a long torso. Not in very good shape though.