A fifth of Pakistan is underwater.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's a sign of how unaware I am of the world at large that I just now found out about this.

One-fifth of Pakistan is still under water after three weeks of devastating flooding, and as many as 6 million affected people have not yet received any relief, Pakistan's National Disaster Management Authority told CNN.
United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon said Sunday from Pakistan that the flood disaster is the worst he's ever seen, characterizing the destruction as more dire than that caused by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and the 2005 Pakistani earthquake. Ban urged the international community to send more relief funds to the area; the country now has just $93 million of the estimated $460 million needed to provide flood relief.
About one in 10 Pakistanis — 20 million people altogether — have been affected by the flooding, according to estimates from the Pakistani government. About 1,500 people are feared dead, and at least 2 million are homeless, according to U.N. estimates. The country's most populous province, Punjab, was also one of the worst-hit areas. Relief agencies and the government are still tallying damage to millions of acres of farms.
Now, experts worry about disease spreading. Up to 3.5 million children are at risk for dysentery and other diseases caused by drinking dirty water, warned the United Nations. The U.N. is also worried that a cholera epidemic could spread, as a few cases have already been detected and many villages have no health care.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's astounding how the media isn't really covering this with much detail. Where are the calls for aid, the singers gathering for a show? Sean Penn is still quite busy in Haiti, so don't count on him!

Hopefully France is way on the ball after their comments about the US and the earthquake in Haiti. Anyone? Bueller?

Rumor has it that the only organized forces giving aid at this moment are those with ties to radical Islam. Way to go, the West. That's using your (our) noodle.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Yes, it's astounding how the media isn't really covering this with much detail. Where are the calls for aid, the singers gathering for a show? Sean Penn is still quite busy in Haiti, so don't count on him!

Hopefully France is way on the ball after their comments about the US and the earthquake in Haiti. Anyone? Bueller?

Rumor has it that the only organized forces giving aid at this moment are those with ties to radical Islam. Way to go, the West. That's using your (our) noodle.

Millions of dollars are coming from Canada, for one - and the US is right there.

The Pakistani media is downplaying it for a number of reasons - first, and most obvious, when you're trying to recruit kids to go fight the Americans, it's hard to do so when they're dropping food to keep you and your family alive.

Second, no one wants to highlight the incompetence of the Pakistani goverment and risk a civil war/revolution right now. Given that their leader refused to come home from Britain during a PR tour when the floods started, any sign that the government is less than efficient is laying the ground for some nasty social and political upheavals.

and links, for those who doubt that the West is doing anything:

http://www.nationalpost.com/Canada+commits+Pakistan+flood+victims/3399829/story.html
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreig...csm+(Christian+Science+Monitor+|+All+Stories)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

rumor?

unaware?

not covered in media?

please, kids, use your computer for more than social networking.

there's plenty of coverage on this story and plenty of aid coming from the US and the UN.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38636069/ns/weather
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/08/16/pakistan.us.aid/
http://www.unicefusa.org/news/news-...akistan.html?gclid=CN6ZyIWmv6MCFYxi2godvDK4aA
http://www.cnbc.com/id/38729188
http://www1.voanews.com/english/new...istan-as-US-Boosts-Flood-Aid---100582994.html

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:) I was sure we'd do something. Who all that 'we' includes, I'll leave to the imagination (waves toward the North Pole) ;)

Seriously, though, the radical groups doing more butt-saving would be a bad, bad thing. And that is what folks are complaining about. Truth may have little to do with that, as usual. But we should watch ourselves and make sure to be on the ball, definitely.

I haven't donated yet. I'll get on that!!

ETA: cross-posted. Cool, I take it you've donated, Haskins. I recall your thread on the Haiti earthquake, so you probably have! And I'll try to remember that sarcasm sign.

It is true that I think the media reacts differently to this here because it's Pakistan. Both because it's not as close as Haiti and because of religion/politics.

I'll research France and see if I need to eat crow there.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
France will be there soon! Y'all'll have to tell me whether that means I need to eat crow or not. I was not unaware of the stories reagarding other countries in the above links. I'm not the least bit dissatisfied with our official response, and the speed of it. With the media and celebrity culture? Yes, dissatisfied.

http://www.expatica.com/fr/news/fre...lood-hit-pakistan-offers-transport_89929.html

15/08/2010
France increases aid to flood-hit Pakistan, offers transport

France announced Sunday it would send a plane loaded with 60 tonnes of aid to flood-hit Pakistan, and signaled it is ready to use its military equipment to help transport relief.

The aircraft carrying the 60 tonnes of aid will leave France on Wednesday to reach Islamabad Thursday, and will include emergency equipment, makeshift shelters and drinking water.

This adds to the one million euros (1.3 million dollars) that France has already allocated to Pakistan since the start of the disaster, which the UN says has ravaged one fifth of the country and 20 million people.

Meanwhile, those terribly offensive stories about the US 'taking over' Haiti have stuck in my craw. If even Westerners believed we'd use the earthquake to invade Haiti, how are we supposed to handle this one?

I'm a little testy about it all. Apologies, for sure.

ETA: (for more clarity)

. . . if sufficient aid is not forthcoming from the international community, the Pakistanis will remember.
"Already people are asking why they helped the Haitians and aren't helping us," he said. "When someone helps someone who is in need of food and water, those who helped are certainly remembered. It doesn't matter who calls who the bad guys or the good guys after the floods have receded. Whoever helps the Pakistanis in their need will be remembered as a friend."
Khan noted that the U.S. has pledged the most in aid to Pakistan and has begun delivering with money, food packages, medical assistance and transportation.
"The U.S. has done far more than any other nation, but it is simply not enough," Khan said. "The U.S. has given much needed helicopters to bring the aid to the victims, because all the roads have been washed out and the bridges washed away.
"The helicopters are greatly needed. But now there are only 18 of them. Eighteen helicopters for 20 million people - do you see what we're up against?" Khan said.
U.S. leaders are concerned that groups associated with the Taliban and al Qaeda may jump into the breach and provide assistance to flood victims and, thus, grow in their esteem.

http://hk.ibtimes.com/en/articles/43737/20100816/pakistan-floods-taliban.htm

Groups such as Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) have stepped into the vacuum to provide relief aid and social services to those affected by the flooding. JuD has already established 13 relief camps in surrounding districts, providing food to the displaced and running an ambulance service. JuD now says it has 2,000 members working in the region. The group claims to be involved solely in charitable work but is widely believed to be a front for the terrorist group Lashkar-e-Tayyiba, responsible for the 2008 Mumbai attack. JuD gained renown after the 2005 earthquake in Pakistan, when it was one of the only groups operating an effective aid and relief service in the affected region, often eclipsing the government’s own efforts and providing help to areas that the authorities sometimes took days or weeks just to reach.
As long as government incompetency and inadequacy continues to hamper the relief effort, it will be impossible to deny groups like JuD the space to operate. By working effectively during times of severe need, groups like JuD, much like Hezbollah, are able to burnish their image as charitable organizations and extend their networks of grassroots support. While doing real good, however, they are also providing a front for the more insidious and violent activities of their militant wings.

http://www.american.com/archive/2010/august/after-the-flood-a-stream-of-radical-islamists

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
rumor?

unaware?

not covered in media?

please, kids, use your computer for more than social networking.

there's plenty of coverage on this story and plenty of aid coming from the US and the UN.

This, exactly. Nothing about this story has been hidden or understated. You'll find it covered everywhere, pretty much. Let's get real now.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It is true that I think the media reacts differently to this here because it's Pakistan. Both because it's not as close as Haiti and because of religion/politics.

I seem to recall that the media coverage of the earthquake catastrophe in Haiti was similarly criticized.

The earthquake in Haiti killed something in excess of 250,000 people. The flood death toll in Pakistan, last I saw, was about 1% of that.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the media coverage of the earthquake catastrophe in Haiti was similarly criticized.

The earthquake in Haiti killed something in excess of 250,000 people. The flood death toll in Pakistan, last I saw, was about 1% of that.

But my Facebook friends follow those little blue links and read what I post. I believe all you mention is covered.

But I'll make sure to remember to add them, and use that sarcasm sign. *sigh*

ETA:
Yes, it's astounding how the media isn't really covering this with much detail.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I want to thank Sheryl for bringing some meaty debate to this discussion, btw, and LOG for admitting what he knew and did not know.

I apologize for my lack of clarity.

And I suppose there is debate about this not getting coverage like the Haitian earthquake did, but that's just a polite nod. AC360 is talking about the mosque right now rather than Anderson Cooper broadcasting from Pakistan. It took this long for a thread to be started. Educated political junkies don't already know why this is bigger than Haiti (or said to be -- see links above).

Folks thought I hadn't read about it.

Something is strange here, that's for sure ;)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That other people might not have heard about it, either, and that it needed a post :) imho.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is getting extensive coverage in the UK and money is being raised, though some people are asking what happened to the relief money raised for the earthquake they had in Pakistan a couple of years ago.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
This is so terrible. So many innocent lives affected.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I see Bush's weather-control devices are still functional.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see Bush's weather-control devices are still functional.

It is a remarkable coincidence that we weren't allowed in Pakistan for war, and then...boom...floods...and now, we're in, with a chance to win hearts and minds. I am not suggesting that our HAARP device can do floods, just earthquakes and volcanos, to my knowledge. But, while tragic for the people of Pakistan, a perfect opportunity for Western interests.

Fame<Infamy

Registered
Reaction score
It just seems unfathomable that much water could have come down so quickly and that there's essentially nothing that can be done to get around it. It's sad for the families and cities and towns in the way because they have basically nothing now and probably no where to go. And then a lot of the water is going to bleed over into an already war torn country and take more from the people there too.