guinea-pig kids and where to find them

abcedarium

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all!

I have a manuscript for a picture-book that I'd ideally like to try out on some real live kids before submitting. Two problems:

1. I don't have any myself, or know of any I can borrow.

2. Even if I found some to be my guinea-pigs, how can I know whether they'd react well to hearing the story read without seeing illustrations? Obviously pictures are pretty important in a picture book...

Any ideas? How/where do you lot try out new material?

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Borrowing children is tough. First, approach parents or a librarian and explain your situation. Second, find a critique group with childlike members. Think about yourself at your target age - would you have liked this book. The most important person for you to please is your innner child (the real child you were.) If that kid doesn't get it, none will.

-Debbie

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thing is, kids love the attention and the story telling process and the awesomeness of hearing a story read by the actual person who wrote it...that makes them not such great critics.

There's a share-your-work section here on the forums where real live grown-ups who love and read picture books can give you some more balanced feedback. Stick around here, post more, critique other peoples' work, and post your own stuff up and you will get helpful critique. :)

abcedarium

Registered
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks for the tips!

Debbie - myself as a kid may not be the most discerning critic... I just liked reading encyclopedias of all the different cat breeds :)

Last edited:

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
You could check with the children's department your local library. Many have story hours for various age kids. Perhaps you could volunteer to do part of a story hour.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
My 2 cents:
1) For a picture book, a lot of the impact for kids comes from the pictures. Having a PB manuscript is great, but I'm not sure how great it's going to be just reading a short story aloud w/o pictures.

2) As mentioned above, feedback from kids is tough. I'm not sure for MG books how important it is to get a kid reader, but for PB-age kids, I'm not sure what type of feedback you can actually expect. Do kids that age know what they like? I mean, if you sat down and read them a bad PB, would they notice/complain?

3) So much in PB writing depends on rhyme/meter/word-choice/phrasing/succinctness/theme/etc. that would never be picked up on consciously by a kid.

So sure, find a kid to read it to, but put your effort into finding adult critique partners.

abcedarium

Registered
Reaction score
All good advice. Thanks!

Mmm, I came to the same conclusion about a PB not being much fun to read without the P bit.

I guess I was just thinking a guinea-pig might be helpful, since my ms has some word-play in it that adult readers have understood and found funny, but I wasn't sure if children would get it too.

Last edited:

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
I keep reading this thread title and being really creeped out by the idea of Guinea-pig-kids. Book idea, someone?

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
I keep reading this thread title and being really creeped out by the idea of Guinea-pig-kids. Book idea, someone?

I think you'd have to turn it into an anti-PETA PB, and I betcha there'd be someone out there to publish it. The book would start off with the animal-rights activists winning, and outlawing animal testing. Then you see in an abandoned elementary school all these little kids, all makeup-ed up, being poked and prodded by scientists...

Yeah, too creepy.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely want a few guinea-pig-kids. At least then someone in my house would eat their vegetables...

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And they'd be all cute and fluffy, wriggling their little noses...

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they had the face of a human and the body of a guinea pig. And little human hands and feet. That would be really creepy. Especially if it started asking you questions.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they had the face of a human and the body of a guinea pig. And little human hands and feet. That would be really creepy. Especially if it started asking you questions.

I can totally see that. The hands would be under their bodies, and they'd scurry about on their fingers. But the feet would just sort of be there, on their rear-ends, serving no function at all, little toes wiggling like ten wagging tails.

Eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

abcedarium

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... maybe it's time for me to edit the thread title from 'guinea-pig kids' to 'GREMLIN kids'...

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
No, you only get that after you dunk them in water.

Guinea-pig kids are cute but not very bright, I'm afraid...

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just don't feed them after midnight and you should be cool