Contests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Southern Heat Writing Contest for UNPUBLISHED AUTHORS

The East Texas Chapter of RWA has secured an excellent list of agents and editors for its 2013 Southern Heat Writing Contest!

The contest is open for submissions. Deadline to enter is March 31, 2013. To enter or read the guidelines visit, www.easttexasrwa.com

For more information, contact Carol Braswell at [email protected]

Final Round Judges
Historical
Farris Literary Agency — Susan Morgan Farris
The Ferguson Literary Agency — Cheryl Ferguson

Inspirational
Seymour Agency — Mary Sue Seymour
Love Inspired Assistant Editor — Shana Smith

Young Adult
Sourcebook — Aubrey Poole
L. Perkins Agency — Emily Keyes

Paranormal
Folio Literary Management — Jita Furmich
Harlequin Nocturnal and Nocturne Cravings Senior Editor — Ann Leslie Tuttle

Romantic Suspense
Champagne Books — Kat Hall
Harlequin Romantic Suspense Senior Editor — Patience Bloom

Contemporary Single Title
Sanford J. Greenburger Assoc. — Courtney Miller-Callihan
Harlequin MIRA — Michelle Venditti

Contemporary Series
Steele-Perkins Literary Agency — Pattie Steele-Perkins
Assistant Editor for Love Inspired & Harlequin Romantic Suspense — Rachel Burkot

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Photo Flare Contest for Unpublished and Published Authors

This is a short story contest I run on my website. We accept all genres but erotica and horror. You have to write a story under 3000 words using pictures that we post. I think this month's pictures lend themselves to a romance story, and they have actually inspired a scene in my current manuscript :) It's a $30 prize making us a semi pro market. All stories are due on the 26th of each month. Here's the link to the full rules: Photo Flare.

I hope you enter!

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Harlequin Mills and Boon's annual writing contest launches next week. Details are here.

Last year they contracted 8 new authors via the contest - the 3 prize winners, plus 5 others - out of around 700 entries. You can still submit using the normal route if your entry doesn't succeed.

Contest is open to published and unpublished authors, but not existing or previous Harlequin authors.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Pitch Contest for Contemporary Romance on Operation Awesome

Something a little different for December's Mystery Agent Contest on Operation Awesome--we have a Mystery Editor this time around!

Contest Basics: 50 entries, with one-line pitch and first 250 words. M.E. (Mystery Editor) is currently seeking contemporary romance in Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult. Not currently interested in YA paranormal. Grand prize winner gets a 10-page critique, and M.E. will request at least 2 full manuscripts for consideration. The contest opens on December 1st at 10am Eastern Standard Time.

So polish up those pitches and first pages!

Last edited:

Alley1958

Registered
Reaction score
I Heart Indie Contest

The Las Vegas Romance Writers (an RWA chapter) is sponsoring the I HEART INDIE contest for independently published authors.

Final round judges are top agents and the winners will be featured in RWA's RWR magazine.

Details here.

Last edited:

Jules Court

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julescourt.com
Harlequin just announced their So You Think You Can Write contest for this year. Prize is a 2 book publishing contract.

With all the rumors about Harlequin swirling about, i.e. the sale and sales being down, I'm not sure how great a deal it is. Is anyone thinking of entering?

Details are here: http://www.soyouthinkyoucanwrite.com

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Thinking about it but not yet decided. 10 authors were contracted as a result of last years contest.

I have a ms on submission with them at the moment, but it's been passed onto another editor because the first one went on maternity leave. I'm thinking the contest could be a good way to catch an editor's eye again.

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
Is this thread dead, I ask with dread?

I posted the details under the Contest forum, but the Golden Rose Contest opens in two weeks. If you're an RWA member, this contest is an excellent preparation for the Golden Heart. You get detailed critiques on the first 10k of your romance. (The Golden Heart is great if you final, but otherwise it can be a bit disheartening to receive a collection of numbers with no feedback attached.)

Are you an RWA member who is unpublished or under published?

The Golden Rose Contest is sponsored by the Rose City Romance Writers chapter of the Romance Writers of America.
Unpublished or under published RWA members can submit the first 10,000 words of a romance novel. Three first-round judges provide detailed feedback.

The final judges are agents and editors. In past contests, they have often requested a full or partial of the manuscript.

The Golden Rose contest opens March 15. Enter in the first two weeks and take advantage of the Early Bird special price!

For details, see http://rosecityromancewriters.com/contest-home/eligibility/

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Prize is a 2 book publishing contract.

LMAO! I just read this as "Prize 2 is a book publishing contract," and was all, "Holy cow, if that's second prize, what's first prize?!

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
SMOLDR Romance Short Story Contest
Brought to you by the editors of Gold Man Review

This contest is for published and unpublished authors.
Maximum word count: 5,000

Entries due by 11:59 PM, PDT on April 28, 2019

18 winning stories will be published in an anthology. Of these, three overall winners will receive a cash prize. First place $500. Second place $250. Third place $100
Once you sign up and pay a $15 entry fee you'll receive info on a couple, a location to incorporate into your story, and a romance trope to use.

The contest provides the option to request heterosexual couples (the default) as well as gender non-defined for those interested in writing LGBTQIA romance.

On the site you'll find info about the fictional town the story takes place, locations, and background on some of the other residents.

More info at: SMOLDR

Status
Not open for further replies.