Has anyone done one of the Covance studies?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Or other similar medical studies?

I would really like to try one because, well, let's face it. 4 days of being used as a lab rat for $3k or so sounds pretty sweet.

But I'm scared to.

Any advice?

Are they safe?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Project, maybe you can indulge us by explaining what a "Covance" study is before we offer advice on whether you should participate.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry!

They're just medical research studies.

(I have read things that say they're a national organization but I may be wrong)

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I got invited to be a test subject for Harvard Yale. They wanted to test teenage emotional/mental response. The letter said I would be paid 20 bucks to play "games"

I said I would only go if my brothers did too lol.

Last edited:

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, the 3k was just an example.

Just...any study they'd offer, I guess.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Project, maybe you can indulge us by explaining what a "Covance" study is before we offer advice on whether you should participate.

covance is a contract research organizations (cro) that runs clinical studies for pharmaceutical companies.

yes, they are a very big (global) company.

pn is probably talking about a phase I clinical trial where healthy people are given a study drug (or not) and data (blood, urine, etc) is collected.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, cray. That's very helpful.

I'd recommend against offering your health for such studies, but that's just me being cautious. No amount of money is worth being a statistic you read and hear about listed as side effects for taking certain medications: May induce strokes, vaginal bleeding, ruptured appendix, penile dysfunction, heart attack, hemorrhaging, blindness, irrational posts on AW and on and on.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, especially those ones that say "as it can cause serious and sometimes fatal liver/heart/lung/health problems"

If you're dead you won't have a chance to spend 3k

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what type of lab stimulus is afforded for male subjects when they're testing those hard on pills. I mean, you can't just sit in a chair and expect the magic to happen, I would think. They must do something to get the blood flowing, like flash pictures on a screen to induce stimulation.

But what if they show a clip of a dog chasing a rabbit, and suddenly the subject is aroused? How would they classify that response?

Probably under some catch-all clause, such as, Some side effects may induce vomiting, up to and including unnatural relations with your pet. If this should occur for more than six hours, please consult your doctor.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
wow that's......gross and creepy. However, that story could be the beginning to a very interesting sci-fi novel. if not cliche.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, cray. That's very helpful.

I'd recommend against offering your health for such studies, but that's just me being cautious. No amount of money is worth being a statistic you read and hear about listed as side effects for taking certain medications: May induce strokes, vaginal bleeding, ruptured appendix, penile dysfunction, heart attack, hemorrhaging, blindness, irrational posts on AW and on and on.

I wonder what type of lab stimulus is afforded for male subjects when they're testing those hard on pills. I mean, you can't just sit in a chair and expect the magic to happen, I would think. They must do something to get the blood flowing, like flash pictures on a screen to induce stimulation.

But what if they show a clip of a dog chasing a rabbit, and suddenly the subject is aroused? How would they classify that response?

Probably under some catch-all clause, such as, Some side effects may induce vomiting, up to and including unnatural relations with your pet. If this should occur for more than six hours, please consult your doctor.
Imagine my surprise when I read the label on a medication that I'm required to take if I want to maintain this "alive" jazz and saw one of the side effects is bulimia nervosa...