• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA Fantasy Writing Buddy/Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleigh88

;)
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks! So, I'm kind of silly, and I wasn't very specific in my last beta ad. I hope no one minds this other one. I'll play by the book this time. Here it goes:

Creds: I've got BA in English, and I'm about to start my master's in writing for children and young adults at Vermont College of Fine Arts. (EXCITED!) I don't expect anyone to have specific creds themselves, but I would like our writing to match up well, as far as grammatical and structural proficiency go.

Genre: YA fantasy. More specifically, YA contemp/epic fantasy. Doesn't make much sense, right? Basically, two kids from our time and world are forced to flee into a magical world on our world's border. I promise it's cooler than it sounds.*

I’m also looking to beta in the YA genre. It doesn’t necessarily have to be fantasy, but I’m always excited about some magical or supernatural element. I’d prefer to stay away from realistic contemporary YA, though. It’s not that I don’t like it; I’d just rather read that sort of thing in print. Unsubstantiated bias. Sorry.

*NOTE: I'm not finished with this project. This is one of those things I forgot to mention in my last post. I'm not finished, and I don't necessarily expect you to be, either. I like the people I beta for and those that beta for me to be friendly--if not friends. I like to figuratively high-five people and cheerlead, and go along this insane writerly journey together. If you only beta complete projects and/or aren't looking for someone to cheer/triumph/commiserate/cry with, I will probably annoy the sh*t out of you.

Feedback: I do line edits, but I don't go crazy with them. I mainly focus on things I LOVE and things I DON'T LOVE QUITE AS MUCH AS I SHOULD as a critical reader. I comment LOTS on story arc, characterization, believability (within the story's framework), and other cohesive plot-type things.

I like the same kind of approach to my work. Tell me what you like, what's not really working, and maybe what you think might work in place of those things. I find lots of small line edits kind of unhelpful, overall, because the majority of folks who have given me lots of line edits have been highlighting things about the narrative voice that they don't like, and it usually just means that we aren't a good beta/crit partner match.

So, um, I guess that's it. As soon as I post this, I'll think of something to add, of course, but that's okay. I think I hit most of what I wanted to say, anyway.

Just send me a PM if you're interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.