Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
When I was a kid, I was so very taken with portal stories -- you know the ones, right? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for example. As a result, I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal of my own.

Yep. I was a weird little kid.

What did you cross your fingers and wish hard for, as children?

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhh..... You're good!!!! :Hail: I see why you're the jefe!!!! :D

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Nice portal.

I always day-dreamed about meeting weird creatures. And about setting traps for my imagined hordes of enemies, where I would hold them all at arrow-point and save the kingdom / planet / ship.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Every single year, when I was a kid and blew out my birthday candles, I wished for a magic wand. And get this: it wasn't because I wanted lots of things and candy and all that, it was so I could make people happy.

I think in a way this is part of what attracts me to writing. If a work of mine gets someone to smile, won't it be like a magic wand of sorts? :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I just wished I was anywhere else but where I was. Probably why I liked the escapism of books like Narnia. :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I wished there was more time so I could read more.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wished I was anywhere else but where I was. Probably why I liked the escapism of books like Narnia. :)

Mega dittoes. I also dreamed of being able to travel in time. Back and forward. I dreamed about moving westward, like Laura Ingalls Wilder (we got to take a trip to a pioneer village in third grade -- I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!), or traveling on the Enterprise, to other worlds, on a ship where no one was poor or wanting anything material at all.

I always imagined that in another time, I'd be a better, more interesting version of myself, lol.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
OMG OMG OMG I FOUND IT!! I FOUND THE SECRET ROOM!!!!!!

:Wha:

What?

Okay okay......WE found it *rolls eyes*

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ah, Mac...I too looked endlessly for that wardrobe portal. I also searched for the golden ticket. I was certain that I'd one day fall down the rabbit hole. I had my dinner talk all laid out for my time at table with the madhatter too. I believe(d) it all.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I always wondered where the flush of a toilet would take me (mainly because dad kept saying 'get here you little sh**). But that's me, always looking down when everyone else is playing with locks and portals... :e2hammer:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
My sister fell down the rabbit hole. Broke her ankle - but then she wasn't looking for a portal.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I was sure I'd find an undiscovered volcano in the Blue Ridge mountains :) And remnants of a lost civilization in the sand of the ravine behind the backyard.

I'd get inside and work on finding my superpower. I'd try to move things with my mind a while. Then I'd mix up a concoction of ingredients that might have synergistic qualities nobody had thought of, or cure Cow Pox. Then I'd read a while while I held onto the aquarium bubbler machine. It vibrated a lot, and I wanted to see if you'd get superpowers from that if you did it enough years.

You don't ;)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For me, the thing I longed for was treasure hunting with a metal detector. Not big hoards, but just Roman coins, or a bit of ancient jewellery. I also used to pass fields with little hills in them when in the car, and imagine they were Iron Age burial mounds and that I would discover them.

When I was a little older, it was going to Space Camp that gripped me. I dreamt I'd gone there, once, and the disappointment when I woke up and realised it wasn't real was immense.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What did you cross your fingers and wish hard for, as children?

Either to be invisible (couldn't get a spanking that way) or to be able to fly. (Saw the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan when I was little)

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
I stumbled into that room months ago. :D

What did I wish for when I was a kid? I wanted to be a dragon. A flying dragon.

I have to say, I was a pretty awesome little kid.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Snow.

I even asked baby Jesus for it, I am almost 20 years old and I still haven't seen snow.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Max, if you ever can, you must visit me in NC in the winter and we'll drive up to the mountains and ski :) And eat snow cream and make snow angels.

Snow is pretty darned awesome. Occassionally. I was a kid in Chicago, lol. It can get obnoxious faster than you might think.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I wanted to be the only man left on Earth when I was a kid, so I guess I was wishing you were all dead :D

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Snow is one of the things I missed the most about the States after we returned to Portugal. At least you've seen the ocean, Max. I think that has got to be one of the most amazing experiences on this Earth, simple and commonplace as it may sound.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
When I lived in Costa Rica with my aunt and uncle, a lady at work was terribly unimpressed that I was taking a trip to a spectacular volcano on the weekend.

"You've never seen a volcano?!" Hmph.

I responded with, "Have you ever seen snow?" ;)

Oh, well that was quite different! :D :D

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I believe I spent an inordinate amount of time wishing I was a horse. Fast, graceful...all those things I wasn't.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
On foggy days, I thought a completely new world would unveil behind the curtain of mist. So I guess the fog was the portal of my childhood.