The Expat/Emigrant Lounge

Mylorian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there...I was born in the UK, raised partly in Germany. Parents moved to Geneva, then Zurich and finally Paris, so I hung out there a while too. Married an American and moved to Amsterdam for five years, followed by Brussels for another five. On to Sydney and now in the Adelaide Hills where I've found my spot on the planet in a tiny village where I've lived for 26 years (26 years - whoo hoo!!!) with my pup, Rogan Josh (he's only 4, so hasn't accompanied me all this time!)

What do I miss? Not a lot. What have I gained? A much broader view of the world and a respect for multiple ways of how we do things 'round here!

Nice to meet you all
Susanne

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there...I was born in the UK, raised partly in Germany. Parents moved to Geneva, then Zurich and finally Paris, so I hung out there a while too. Married an American and moved to Amsterdam for five years, followed by Brussels for another five. On to Sydney and now in the Adelaide Hills where I've found my spot on the planet in a tiny village where I've lived for 26 years (26 years - whoo hoo!!!) with my pup, Rogan Josh (he's only 4, so hasn't accompanied me all this time!)

What do I miss? Not a lot. What have I gained? A much broader view of the world and a respect for multiple ways of how we do things 'round here!

Nice to meet you all
Susanne

How many languages do you speak? Or are you like me, absolute rubbish with languages?

karrots

Registered
Reaction score
I’m am ex-expat. Lived in Canada and Estonia, but am now in Texas. Toronto was close enough to east coast US culture that it was an easy switch...although Home has always been wherever I am, but I was shocked by the big sky and the easiness of living in the States after Estonia. I loved it in Estonia: there was a fabulous expat community, such a beautiful old town and so much to explore! but honestly, I didn’t know if I could’ve handled one more dark cold February. I’d never had sunlight issues until then. I clearly need to be an expat somewhere like Australia or Croatia if I do it again.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Born and raised in various parts of England, then Wales for uni, England briefly for work then back to Wales for years. Husband's job changes took us and our children to Ireland 5 years ago where we remain - and probably will stay, for practical purposes (I'm looking at you, Brexit). It is becoming home, though it's strange to hear locals tell me it's a secular country when a) people assume you're a (baptised, First-Holy-Communioned, if lapsed) Catholic until you specifically say otherwise and b) a genuine topic of chit-chat between total strangers for several days was "did you hear about the new Pope?"

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
I am an expatriate not an immigrant. Well, they technically are synonyms but I've heard that little joke not long time ago.
How do you know if you're an expatriate or an immigrant? Easy, go to a social gathering and wait until somebody ask you where are you from. Once you've answered if he asks you the reason why you're here, you're an expatriate. If not, you're an immigrant. So it goes like this.
Random person: So What's your name?
Me: My name is Sarahani.
Random Person: That's a cool name. I hear an accent, where are you from Sarahani?
Me: I'm from Paris, France.
Random Person: Really? Why are you here?
Sarahani is then an expatriate.

Random Person: What's your name?
Me: Sarahani.
Random Person: That's a cool name. I hear an accent, where are you from Sarahani?
Me: I'm from Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast.
Random Person: Ok.
Sarahani is then an immigrant.

Last edited:

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
American, lived in the capitol of Brazil for five years, recently moved to California. Culture shock upon return to the US, not much. Main difference is the food and weather. It's a Western society down there, same here. Anthropologically there are definite differences. Brazilians have stronger family units. This extends to strangers. On meeting new people, if you want to be welcomed as basically family, they want to too and will welcome you as such.

RebelKimberly

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm an expat and been an immigrant too! I'm now a digital nomad, slow traveling around the world. Slow traveling? Well, for me, that's a three or more month stay in a place. It gives me an opportunity to get to know it and it's people better.

We don't get to choose where we are borne, and for me, I would have preferred to be borne in Canada. When I first traveled there, it was like a coming home feeling you see in a syrupy holiday commercial. So for me, although originally from the US, for 14+ years home has been Canada, with the past two traveling constantly.

I have wonderful travel experiences seeing the places I'd long desired to see and now, for my writing, it is allowing me to go to places required for research.

Presently, I am in Cyprus for two months and will return to Europe this June. Perhaps our paths will cross in my travels on the road? If so, I will be most fortunate!

Cheers!
Kimberly

CarlHackman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlhackman.com
British expat, seen quite a bit of the world when I was in the Navy. Moved to Dominican Republic in 2003 and will probably return to the UK when our house sells. I'd rather move to Canada as a self employed (cultural) person, but my age goes against me which is a shame as we have quite a lot of Canadian friends, mainly from Ontario, Alberta and Nova Scotia.

Hotaru-Tomoe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Originally from Southeast Asia, here, but now living in Europe. Not sure if that makes me an emigrant or an expat (my understanding is that expats reside outside their native country for work?)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Hi all,

Originally from Southeast Asia, here, but now living in Europe. Not sure if that makes me an emigrant or an expat (my understanding is that expats reside outside their native country for work?)

Different people define things in different ways. Some people see brown people as immigrants and white people as expats. This seems to be the most common way the words immigrant and expat are used in media.

Some see expats as people with big fat salary and compensation packages to live in a country not of their origin. I see immigrants as people who are in a country not their origin for the purposes of living there permanently and expats as anyone who is living outside their country of origin.

Whitelocke

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm an American immigrant in Taiwan. ESL teacher turned PhD student. Been here too long though, I'll be headed anywhere but the US soon.

Irene Eng

Registered
Reaction score
What's the difference between expat and emigrant?

Who call themselves expats and who call themselves emigrants?

Prince

Banned
Reaction score
I want to make money: an emigrant just moves somewhere, reason doesn't matter. An expat, in my book, works for a company and so on

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
By the dictionary, they both have the same meaning, but, I think of an emigrant as making more of a one-way trip. There may be ties to the Old Country, but the emigration is intended to be permanent, to join the new country.

Expatriates, whether for business or retirement, tend to think of themselves as part of the Old Country. Even if they never return, there's more of an emotional connection, a possibility of return.

Heather Lazarus

Poet More Often Than Not
Registered
Reaction score
Website
heatherlazarus.blogspot.com
Hola from Spain! Originally from California, I’ve been living in Spain for almost 30 years now. I dislike the term ‘expat’, or rather the people I see that they reflect. We get a lot of foreigners here who come for the weather and the cheap, excellent health care, but bunch together in little groups on the coast, never learning the language and mostly feeling superior to the locals. Most people immigrate out of necessity, and go to a country where they would have better job prospects and hope for a better life. I moved here because I love Spain, so I suppose that falls under the ‘immigrant’ category, but if I called myself an immigrant to anyone who knows me they would probably roll their eyes at me... I guess because I didn’t *need* to move here, and I could always move back.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
I'm American too, currently living in South Korea as-you guessed it-an ESL teacher. I've only been here for a few months but I am enjoying myself. I don't think I'll be staying for 17 years though.

Before Korea I was in Portland, Oregon for several years. Before that, Hawaii. That's where I grew up, and where I hope to end up again someday soon.

Hey, I'm from Portland. Moved to the UK with my husband. Such a beautiful state. Don't miss the constant winter rain though, although it comes a close second here for rain.

DMakinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharpedit.weebly.com
Originally from England, I've followed an often incoherent path that led me from London to Cape Town and Johannesburg, then back to London. Could not deal with the grey skies, so I fled to Sydney. Lived in New York for a while somewhere in the middle of all that. Now based in the tiny (but allegedly quite famous) country town of Eumundi in Queensland, Australia.

Hopefully this qualifies me to join the international/expat page. If not, I have plenty of air miles!;)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Originally from England, I've followed an often incoherent path that led me from London to Cape Town and Johannesburg, then back to London. Could not deal with the grey skies, so I fled to Sydney. Lived in New York for a while somewhere in the middle of all that. Now based in the tiny (but allegedly quite famous) country town of Eumundi in Queensland, Australia.

Hopefully this qualifies me to join the international/expat page. If not, I have plenty of air miles!;)

Definitely qualifies. Welcome!

AlanEB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Lived in South Africa since I was 3, was born in South Africa but we moved to the UK because my father was British. After his mother died my parents moved back because my mother's family was all here.

JDSparrow

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm Bulgarian, and since about 3 to 4 years ago I moved to the Netherlands to study and temporarily live. I heavily doubt I will stay here unless I do something like meet the right person to make me stay. Next country I'll go after I graduate is still under question. I just love them all and honestly can't pick simply one of them.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Well I'm Bulgarian, and since about 3 to 4 years ago I moved to the Netherlands to study and temporarily live. I heavily doubt I will stay here unless I do something like meet the right person to make me stay. Next country I'll go after I graduate is still under question. I just love them all and honestly can't pick simply one of them.

Hi! Where in the NL do you live? :) And what do you study? If you ever need help with anything, or with the language or whatever, just let me know. Although you probably quite got the hang of it after 3-4 years, I can only assume :)

evbell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm originally from California (though I also lived in other states), and four years ago I moved to Prague, Czech Republic, for real very defined reason. Just wanted to make big change.

Prague's a magical city, I'm hoping to stay much longer but currently waiting for my second 2-year visa to be approved... been 9 months and counting! Please pray to the fickle gods of bureaucracy that they happen upon my papers and stamp them for me before 2 years have passed and I have to re-apply!

Azarel21

High Quality Trash
Registered
Reaction score
Website
azarelcs21.wixsite.com
Hello, I am from Indonesia. I live at Kabupaten Bogor, near Bekasi, though I am originally from Jakarta. I have never been overseas - but I am planning to do so. I often travel here and there; going to exotic places such as Kepulauan Seribu (The Thousand Islands), Ujung Kulon, Kepulauan Riau (Riau Islands), and many more. But the places I like to go to most are mountains; such as Baduy, Bromo, Gunung Salak, Gunung Gede, etc.

Froeschli

Registered
Reaction score
Originally from Switzerland, then went to school in Berlin, Germany for a few years, met a Canadian and that was that. Been living in Canada for, oh, 17 years now.
I miss the history in Europe, my home town had a castle, Roman theatre and a stone age burial ground. What I don't miss so much is the attitude of people. Canadians are way more friendly and open, maybe not as genuinely, but you have a lot fewer obstacles to overcome getting to know someone...