Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, all!

The Mods have given your new Moderator (Me! :D) permission to give all you romance writers a nice bonus! I just got done teaching a workshop about how to identify your romance subgenre and market it to the right publisher. They said that I could post my lectures over here! Yay!

So, for the next couple of weeks, keep a watch out for new threads in this series. At the end of the series, I'll sticky them so future newbies can find them. Here we go...

LEARNING WHAT YOU WRITE AND HOW TO SELL IT
By: Cathy Clamp

LECTURE #1A - What is a genre?

Welcome, everyone!

I’m very flattered and pleased that so many of you have decided to attend my workshop on genres, sub-genres and marketing in romance fiction. But before we get started on any assignments, we need to think about the concept of genres. What IS a genre?

Simply put, a genre is where in a bookstore a shopkeeper is going to shelve a book. History and market research has taught booksellers that readers prefer to find books on the same topic in the same location of the store every time they visit. So booksellers asked publishers to tell them what sort of books they were selling. Publishers responded to the booksellers’ wishes by including the genre of the book on the spine, or as a line in the catalogue of new releases. Booksellers could buy with confidence and place similar titles together for the readers to find. For example, you couldn’t walk into the horror section and expect to find a book by Nora Roberts. But you can find offerings by Stephen King.

Now, before we can talk about the SUB-genre of romance, we need to first decide "what is a romance?" No, we’re not going to start a topic about the RWA definition debate.

For our purposes and until further notice, we will use the tried and true definition that the publishers use. A romance is a book where the primary plot centers around people falling in love and remaining together at the end. This is known as a "Happily Ever After" or "HEA". Since it is a unique definition among genres (it’s not an element of horror, or western or suspense, for example), it will do until we hear otherwise.

Okay, so we know what a romance is. In order to add elements that make a book a SUB-genre, we need to know the definition of other genres. The following is a list of other genres that you will see on the shelves in bookstores. I’ve used popular movies to give an example of the definitions.

Action: The plot must contain problem-solving by the H/h (Hero or heroine) a threat of danger to third parties, and constant movement toward the stated goal. An example would be the Die Hard movies.

Adventure: The plot must contain physical hazards to the H/h, travel to other, sometimes exotic locales for the H/h, a threat of danger to third parties AND to the H/h, plus the stated goal (or an undiscovered-at-the-opening secondary goal) must be achieved. Raiders of the Lost Ark is an example of an adventure.

Chick-Lit: This is a relatively new addition to genre books. It contains a combination of romance and feminist styles with humor. It usually has an urban setting and comedic situations about real life and love. A chick-lit would The First Wives' Club. However, the term chick-lit is starting to turn into a negative, because it's gotten stereotyped. Try calling a book fitting these guidelines a "humorous romance" or "romantic comedy." You'll do better.

Children's. Children's books are broken down into groups which include picture books that have illustrations to tell the story, early reader geared toward ages 4-8 with short sentences, early chapter books geared toward children of 7-9, middle grade books from 9-12. They have situations that include overcoming loneliness, working together as a team, friendship adventure where there is no actual risk of loss of life, and if death is included at all, it’s handled briefly with a satisfactory ending (Charlotte’s Web or Babe) There may also be moral values, light romance and humor. There are often talking animals in fantasy settings.

Contemporary/Commercial: This isn't quite a category or genre. You can have commercial or contemporary horror, contemporary paranormal, contemporary mysteries, etc. Mostly, this is a "here and now" description that means that the setting of the book is on this earth, in this time, and usually (but not always) in an urban setting.

Erotic: As a category, erotica is considered romance, but there is no requirement that there be a HEA, or that the H/h have sex only with each other. Third parties may flow through the plot, but normally the language is rated R or above. Red Shoe Diaries is an example of erotic.

Experimental: Sometimes called "speculative", this is edgy writing either in style or content (think ee cummings, who seldom used capital letters or punctuation. In his time, he was considered experimental.) This type of writing can be annoying to some because one of the primary goals is to shock the consciousness. Examples would be Pulp Fiction or Mulholland Drive.

Fantasy: A key requirement of a fantasy world is "world-building". Usually action based, it should be set on another world, or in a reality not like our existing reality. The rules must make sense for the created reality, but do not have to apply Earth physics. The Chronicles of Riddick or the Lord of the Rings are examples of fantasy (even though Riddick has science-fiction elements).

Feminist: The plot must contain a device which allows a female to move from a subjugated position to one of authority. Some might consider 9 to 5 or She-Devil to be feminist stories, in addition to comedy.

General: General fiction is sort of the dropping grounds of anything that is not genre fiction. It usually requires internal conflict (dealing with feelings created by real-life health or emotional situations) and learning lessons about life and death. On Golden Pond is an example of general fiction.

Horror: The plot must contain earthly or otherworldly threats to the H/h that end in death or torture of third parties and continual threat of death to the H/h. This need not have a HEA. In other words, in horror, the H/h may die and the bad guys win. An example of this would be Stephen King's The Shining. Several key characters don't make it out alive.

Humor. Also called Comedy, this style of book has the main goal to make the reader laugh. It’s often combined with romance, action or science fiction/fantasy to achieve the humor vehicle of outrageous actions. Austin Powers and Men In Black are examples of humor.

Inspirational: The plot must contain elements of faith in a higher power, depending on the religion involved. The faith should actually have a part in driving the plot, because the characters consider their faith in making decisions about their life. In past years, the genre was loosely defined as primarily Christian-based stories, but more books are being written from the Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim and Hindu points of view.

Literary: The plot must contain vivid descriptions of setting and expansive plots and characters where the problems solved are often internal, rather than external. The goal of a literary work is to entrance the reader's senses by the use of fluid and moving language. An example of this would be Out of Africa.

Mainstream: Again, mainstream is more a description of "type." Most hardback and paperback books are mainstream fiction, from comedy to action to thrillers.

Mystery: The plot must include the solving of a single problem (usually involving murder, but not required). Other problems may also be inserted and solved, but the one problem (i.e., finding the killer) must be resolved. Murder on the Orient Express is an example of a mystery.

Niche: Like mainstream, a niche book is one that will appeal to a particular user, but not a wide range of readers. For example, a novel about Brazilian llamas with no other elements will have a niche market of those who like llamas and/or people who like Brazil.

Paranormal: A paranormal novel includes elements of legend, whether shapeshifters, vampires, mummies, etc. They often include horror elements or romantic elements based on existing folklore or legends, but they are always set in our current reality, whether past or present, and use creatures that are rumored to exist or existed in the past based on handed-down legends. American Werewolf in London and Dracula are examples of paranormal (but are often shelved in horror or fantasy.)

Science-Fiction: The key elements of science-fiction, whether hard science or soft science is the requirement that the science be Earth-based and at least "possible". Usually the key elements include either a future time or a brilliant inventor in a past time, or even time-travel. Examples would be 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Star Trek. Even War of the Worlds would qualify, because the science, although from a distant planet, was understandable to the human mind. A science-fiction book generally requires that science actually be part of the plot, and the USE of science be part of the solution.

Suspense: Thrillers differ from suspense in the level of action. Suspense novels generally have less movement involved, but they still include the threat of harm to the main characters. Rear Window is a classic suspense.

Thriller: The plot may be intellectual or physical in nature, but the *threat* of world domination, world destruction or some other major catastrophe that involves people beyond the H/h or their friends/family must be a primary plot device. An example of this would be Enemy of the State.

Urban Fiction: (This definition provided by member Gigi Sagi. Thanks!:) ) Urban Fiction is often described as a voice from the street, similar in language and subject as gangsta rap music. Urban Fiction generally depicts gritty coming-of-age stories that serve as cautionary tales to readers. Urban Fiction’s high-charged language is direct, filled with slang, profanity, frequent use of the N-word; and features graphic violence and sexually explicit content. The stories revolve around the drug trade, prostitution, gang life, prison life, and the strife and struggle of everyday living in impoverished inner city ghettos. The need/desire for fast (easy) money and willingness to do anything to get it, often prove the protagonist’s downfall. The best known authors of the genre are: Donald Goines, Walter Dean Myers, Ann Petry, Robert “Iceberg Slim” Beck, Chester Himes, Sister Souljah, Teri Woods, Vickie M. Stringer, Solomon Jones, Danielle Santiago, Eric Jerome Dickey, Omar Tyree, and Nikki Turner.

Western: There are two sub-categories of westerns. Historicals include anything pre-1910, anywhere in the world. True westerns are set from the period of 1830-1900 in the western United States. A Historical would be Wuthering Heights (again, often considered a romance, but a key element is missing - an HEA). An example of a Western is The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Women's: Again, this contains many different sub-genre, but usually it entails family oriented stories that span one, two or three generations and usually contain internal problem solving and familial relationships. Fried Green Tomatoes is an example.

Young Adult: Young Adult books are targeted to children aged 12-18. They can include any other genre, from westerns to fantasy, but the H/h are typically the same age as the reader and the situations don't generally include sexual romance. An example is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Go to Lecture #1 - Genres
Go to Lecture #2 - Romance Subgenres
Go to Lecture #3 - What's Love Got To Do With It?
Go to Lecture #4 - Master & Servant
Go to Lecture #5 - Lord & Overlords

Last edited:

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cathy, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure the folks around here will appreciate all the great info!

:)

Susan G.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cathy! This is really appreciated!

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Thanks, Cathy. It's good to have the breakdown of the genres with examples! Those help a lot. :)

chicagogal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sylviaresnick.com
aunt cathy's lectures

don't know what happened to the previous post written just moments ago. it just disappeared. any way, i do appreciate your lessons, though i cannot access lesson 2. perhaps now i can capture that theme and sell one of my many projects.

stephblake24

Registered
Reaction score
So can I have a contemporary women's fiction novella?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Laurie said:
Can I have a general/women's fiction/romance?

Is there an assumed word limit in Romance? Or does that depend upon the publisher?

90-100K is about what most publishers are looking for, across the genres, I think. 120K would be a max. -- the line in the sand, so to speak. But I think coming in around 100K will serve you in good stead.

Susan G.

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
Is that word limit suggestion the same for Women's Fiction?

I'm still somewhat confused. Women's Fiction is a separate genre than Romance, but do the two get somewhat lumped together, as in this forum?

Silly me wrote a book, a story that makes complete sense to me, but I am having difficulty putting it in a genre.

Romance has defined their subgenres well. Are there similiar subgenres with guidelines for Women's Fiction?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Pretty much yes. 80-100K is pretty much the standard for fiction these days, unless there's a REALLY compelling story that requires more/less pages.

As for guidelines/components, romance is PART OF Women's Fiction. But only those books of women's fiction that contain romance are actually SHELVED in Romance. Other forms of Women's Fiction are shelved in Mainstream. Women's Fiction generally contains:

1. A female protagonist.

2. The events of her life--the drama, the heartache, the frustrations, the triumphs.

3. A resolution (of sorts) of at least the PRIMARY event that drives the plot, whether that resolution is happy, sad or same-old/same-old.

Now, compare that to romance, where the elements are:

1. The ROMANCE is the primary plot. Yeah, there can be suspense, or action or mystery or drama, but the driving plot element is the back-and-forth between the hero and heroine (meaning there are TWO main characters. Women's Fiction only requires ONE.)

2. An HEA ("Happily Ever After"), where the girl gets the guy in a GOOD resolution of the romance.

Does that help any? (Oh, and make sure you read through the next parts of this same lecture series. Lecture #2, about defining your subgenre, might clear things up.

If you're still confused, start up a new thread and we can discuss it more length without risking people missing your question here. :)

Last edited:

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
Thanks Cathy, that's clearer than anything I've read so far.
So, would Sue Monk Kidd's The Mermaid Chair be classified as Women's Fiction?
Wow! 100K the max? Whew. I thought was doing good to cut a 210,000 word story down to 175,000. So, it's still too long to be marketable?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yes. The Mermaid Chair is women's fiction. :)

Probably, yeah, it's still too long. But I don't want to say definitely, because your story might well be one of the exceptions. Remember that Susanna Clarke's debut, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell is over 700 pages! It can be done. But you'll do BETTER if you try to fit in with what's being published presently, or figure out a way to turn it into TWO stand-alone books.

Lolly

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Cathy, for posting this series. I'm in the process of writing a women's fiction novel, so I'm enjoying reading what you have to say. I really liked how you clarified romance/women's fiction. I used to think of my story as a romance, but now I think it falls more into the category of women's fiction.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Great post! Thanks Cathy!

I have really struggled with genre when submitting. Where my story fits has been a real frustration because it can make such a difference in which agent I submit to.

At first I went with mainstream, but then someone told me it was more Romantic Suspense. Then I was told the romance was not the PRIMARY plot so it didn't fit there either!

I recently got an email reply for one of my queries from Scott Eagan at Greyhaus Lit. He wants to see the first three chapters! YAY He claimed on his website to be actively seeking "Contemporary Medical Romance". This seemed to be a good genre to describe what I wrote but Im concerned that ultimately, because the Romance is not necessarily driving the plot, it might be rejected.

I am still totally confused as to what genre to put this novel in even after reading all the categories. But this thread does help a lot!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Not every publisher has the same requirements as every other. We don't have as much romance in our books as other publishers would require, but for Tor, ours are fine. So don't worry about that. There are plenty of publishers to go around. :)

Scott's awesome! He's in one of my RWA chapters and we've had long talks about his goals and methods at conferences. He'll do well by you if he takes you on. Good luck!

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Susan Gable said:
90-100K is about what most publishers are looking for, across the genres, I think. 120K would be a max. -- the line in the sand, so to speak. But I think coming in around 100K will serve you in good stead.
Susan G.

Yes, that seems to be the rule, but I had a rejection because my story was 80k. The publisher said it was only a short story and they didn't publish them!

Also, a genre question for Aunt Cathy, but it might be considered off topic because I'm asking about a different genre, and I'll understand if I get shouted at, or something.

The da Vinci Code. Could you tell me what genre that is? Then if the da Vinci Code was nonfiction and not fiction, what genre would it be then?

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
This is awesome! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. :Hail:

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
thanks for your posts Cathy. You're the best and it's nice to hear from you because you have lots to teach. I'm an active participant and look forward to hearing more of what you have to say.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
correction

I just would like to point out that YA is actually 13-18.
age 12 falls into the middle-grade readers. :)

I think Harry Potter would more be categorized as middle-grade and below. A good example of a YA novel is the Traveling Pants series.

Last edited:

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
If my WIP contains heavy adult scenes scattered throughout the book, but doesn't only focus on erotica, is it still considered erotica?

Somebody looking for a twisted sort of love story that would fall in the Chick Lit genre might not be necessarily looking for the sex, which is in my story.

Is there a sub-sub-genre for me?