Aunt Cathy's Lecture Series - 1: Genres

lydia63

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone's still checking this thread, but I discovered it today and wanted to say how helpful I found it to be. I've considered peddling my manuscript under every genre from inspirational to erotica. Given the brief but clear explanations on this thread, I can confidently call mine a romantic adventure (or adventure/romance). THANK YOU!

johnnygirl

Registered
Reaction score
what would one consider a novel that centers around four sisters and their relationships w/ significant others as well as each other? Romance? Women's Fiction?

lisake

Sometimes I feel like a Dwarf
Registered
Reaction score
Where has this thread been all my life?

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
You're very welcome! Glad you found it useful.

Sorry, johnnygirl. I didn't notice your question earlier. It would be women's fiction. :)

Sarah_Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I have been struggling a bit with the genre of my book. It is definitely literary fiction, but it also contains fantastical elements, such talking animals & spiritual influence on the present. Romance is involved as well, but on the whole, the book follows the internal conflict of the main character. The language is elevated and replete with vivid imagery.
What would be a correct label for the book?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
For the purpose of querying agents/editors, I'd shoot for "literary women's fiction." That should explain it well enough to get a read or two. Then an agent could tell you where they think it'll best sell and where it would be happiest on the shelf. :)

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
Merci, C! I've always thought I am writing a romance. Now it seems it is more WF than romance.

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Excellent post, Cathy -- thanks!

So, seven years on, is the term "chick lit" totally taboo? I've heard conflicting opinions.

If so, would the term "women's comic adventure" fly in a query?

Apols if this Q has been covered elsewhere -- I couldn't find a discussion of it. Thanks in advance for any input.