Irene Goodman on How to Write a Thriller

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, my favorite paragraph of this insightful blog post:

5. I want to like the characters. Too many thrillers have competent plotlines, but the characters are just pawns being moved through a plot. If I can really care about them, and you put them in jeopardy, that's what it's really all about.

I also like her point about being able to understand the plot. I read one* recently that was half reading, half making mental charts of who was who and who did what to whom. Definitely distracts from the book for me.

ETA: *Because I was asked, the book was Bad Things Happen by Dolan. Good book, but hard to keep track of everyone. :)

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to write a thriller with a kick ass female as the protagonist, but all this advice makes good sense.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with the comment on characterisation. I've given up on so many crime novels lately because I couldn't connect with characters.

Which is a shame because the plots should have kicked ass. :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with characterization, too. It does seem like a lot of thrillers use recycled characters, doesn't it? I might read something and enjoy it, but the ones that really stand out that I'd recommend to others are the ones with fantastic characters, too.

AlekT

Alexander
Registered
Reaction score
In general, thrillers tend to be plot-driven more than character-driven. Many thriller readers have no problem with that. I tend to enjoy character-driven novels -- that is, novels that develop the characters while the plot unfolds (or not).

For me, one example would be "The Da Vinci Code." While enjoying the story, I kept waiting for some sparks to fly between Langdon and Sophie. But, hey, it's a thriller, and the characters are just there to move the plot along. It was a good read.

I just finished a good read that combined the two: "Await Your Reply" by Dan Chaon. I also enjoy Dennis Lehane. I guess many would not consider either Chaon or Lehane 'thriller' writers.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
It depends what you are looking for. Personally I find myself moving away from thrillers because they isn't a decent amount of characterisation.

More than that, a lot of thriller and crime novels seem to be increasingly populated by character clones that could inhabit any m/t/s.

There are plenty of character driven thrillers, you just need to dig deeper. They are essential in psychological thrillers. :D

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I anxiously look forward to the next John Sandford thriller. Not because of the story (they're always interesting) but to read more about his characters. I feel the same way about Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch. What's going to happen in his life?

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've got a half-finished novel that stars a "kick-ass female protagnotist" AND she is well-versed in krav maga. Damn, I should finish that one.