Rejected a Publishing Contract Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
I sure hope I made the right decision. I was offered a contract by a start-up publisher for my nonfic manuscript. While waiting for the contract to hit the mailbox, I did more research on the owner and the company and found some things that didn't make sense at all about some of the publisher's claims. After emailing the owner about them, I still wasn't 100% comfortable and I rejected the contract. I know I did the right thing, but I'm still bummed. :cry:

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
That's tough, but good for you for being strong. You'd probably have regretted it more in the long run if you had signed and then been screwed over by them or found they weren't competent enough to do the best job with your book.

Hey, if book=baby think of finding a publisher as similar to finiding child care. You wouldn't hand your darling cherub over to anybody you're not comfortable with.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
That nagging voice in the back of your head is ALWAYS right.

There's plenty of other publishers out there.

Do not start at the bottom.

In publishing, things are in reverse. Start at the top with the biggest dog on the block and work your way down. Go to a bookstore, look for books like yours and check inside the first page to see who published it.

Ditto for finding agents. Email writers of similar books. See who reps them. Most don't mind sharing.

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the encouragement!! The right one will come along, I'm sure of it!!!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that sucks! But any suckiness now is going to last not nearly as long as the regret of signing with the wrong publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.