Canajan, eh?

hspotorno

Registered
Reaction score
Lived in Toronto for five years, living in Europe now! No Canadian citizenship, fond memories of Canada, not so fond memories of Canadian winters.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Heyo from south Alberta!

... where we're expecting a foot of snow in the next 48 hours, but it'll be gone by the first day of October, most like. Ahwell.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Hi! Grew up in Nova Scotia, a tiny town called Northport. On a clear day I could look across the Northumberland Strait and see PEI. *sigh* I miss living there, even thirty-something years later.

We moved to the States when I was thirteen and I've lived here since. I took a trip to Australia in my early twenties and got chatting with a gentleman in the Aussie Navy. At one point he asked me what part of Canada I was from. When I told him I was from the States he made me show my ID because he didn't believe me. When I asked why he was so insistent that I wasn't American, his reply was brilliant: 'Because you're not an asshole!' :roll:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weather office is predicting a couple of inches of snow in the Lower Mainland (SW BC) over the next few days. In reaction, people are rushing to buy snow tires and get them installed, travel plans are being scrapped (such as they were, with COVID), and it's generally looking like the panic scene in Airplane. Honest to God, I'm embarrassed to be a Vancouverite.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing that COVID has stopped a lot of people from going in to work. Fewer panicked screams, sounds of cars sliding down hills, etc. (I live in Burnaby - same problems, more hills. We just cower in our dwellings.)
'Cause special snowflakes hate actual snowflakes.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So far, so good: no snow as of 5 p.m.
Of course, night is falling and it's getting colder.
Sorry if this seems mocking to those living in places that are trapped under vast quantities of snow, but in Vancouver, talking about the weather generally consists of "Going to rain, eh?" "Raining" and "Finally stopped raining, eh?"
We crave excitement, even though we scream when it happens. Like a kid on a rollercoaster.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also we are freaked out by even a picture of snow. The only thing funnier than Vancouver drivers trying to navigate fresh snow are the Alberta people on the side of the road, unable to stand because they're laughing so hard.

Reactions: Elenitsa

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And so that they're safely out of range of skidding cars. Because it doesn't matter how experienced in snow you are if you're trapped behind a panicky Vancouverite.

It does make Vancouver drivers incredibly polite, though -
I used to work on the side of a fairly steep hill - in the snow, I'd be standing at the bus-stop, well away form the street, as the cars slowly and carefully inched past or (astonishing sight!) giving way to one another.
"Oh, no, after you!"
"Please, don't rush on my account!"
"Ah, those pedestrians wish to use the crosswalk, I shall keep well back!"

If it weren't for happening in January, it'd be a Christmas miracle.

Reactions: Elenitsa

Janine R

Registered
Reaction score
And so that they're safely out of range of skidding cars. Because it doesn't matter how experienced in snow you are if you're trapped behind a panicky Vancouverite.

It does make Vancouver drivers incredibly polite, though -
I used to work on the side of a fairly steep hill - in the snow, I'd be standing at the bus-stop, well away form the street, as the cars slowly and carefully inched past or (astonishing sight!) giving way to one another.
"Oh, no, after you!"
"Please, don't rush on my account!"
"Ah, those pedestrians wish to use the crosswalk, I shall keep well back!"

If it weren't for happening in January, it'd be a Christmas miracle.
You must be living in a different Vancouver than me. In my Vancouver drivers race through yellow lights while texting, no doubt adding the last few words to their magnum opus.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You must be living in a different Vancouver than me. In my Vancouver drivers race through yellow lights while texting, no doubt adding the last few words to their magnum opus.
Oh, that's normally my experience of Vancouver drivers as well: self-centered maniacs who keep ICBC busy.
But in our infrequent snows, they seem to be terrified into good behavior, as I said, some sort of a winter miracle.

bjefferson

Registered
Reaction score
Well, somebody had to start it. I'm terribly disappointed that the Australians have a thread, but we don't. Our language is distinct from both English and American, and deserves respect!

And I do not say "aboot," but I do say, "Eh?" Got a ribbing for it when I visited Niagara Falls (Canadian side) and got to chatting with two lovely women from NYC.
Hello, fellow Canadian! I too do not say “aboot” but do say “eh.” Although, I’m from Ontario and most of my family is from PEI, and often times I think some of my relatives out there are speaking another language.

Reactions: Realspiritik

Realspiritik

Realspiritik
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, fellow Canadian! I too do not say “aboot” but do say “eh.” Although, I’m from Ontario and most of my family is from PEI, and often times I think some of my relatives out there are speaking another language.
I grew up in Ontario, but moved to Nova Scotia two years ago to be close to my son, daughter-in-law, and two little granddaughters. I keep meeting people who have moved here from Ontario, so I don't hear as many distinctive Maritime idioms as I did 40 years ago.

The one thing I can't adjust to is the driving. The drivers here seem to think that stop signs and red lights mean "stop optional." Driving in Toronto is a breeze by comparison!

Iustefan

slow going but enjoying it
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn’t realized there was a thread for Canadians. This caught my eye, but at first simply because I couldn’t figure out what a canajan was supposed to be.

I’m Canadian, actually I’ve been living abroad for the last 10+ years. But I’m making my second trip back in that time span next week (to the island/lower mainland BC). Excited to see what’s different, and what’s stayed the same.

Reactions: Realspiritik

Realspiritik

Realspiritik
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the early 70's, everyone in my high school was reading a funny book called Canajan, Eh? It gently poked fun at the idiosyncrasies of Canadian English and some of our pronunciations ("Canajan" instead of Canadian, "Trano" instead of Toronto).

Try as I might, I can't correctly pronounce Fredericton (the provincial capital of New Brunswick for those aren't familiar with it). A Maritimer born and raised (which I am not) can say it with an "F" at the beginning and an "n" at the end and a sort of mushed up vowel sound in the middle.

I've given up trying to get it right.

Reactions: Iustefan